SHERRYs THREAD - My Gold Prospecting Journey

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SHERRY's THREAD - My Gold Prospecting Journey

So, one day I was thinking about something that my 14 year old son and I could do long-term together to foster a continued bonding experience that would strengthen our relationship, create more time for us to spend together, that was fun and we have the possibility of making little money too! Initially I was considering metal detecting and then I came across an article about panning for gold in Southern California. Being that I am a country girl from Alabama and grew up doing all sorts of outdoors activities like hunting, fishing, camping, playing in the creeks and rivers etc., Therefore, panning for gold seemed right up my alley. So, I tried it once with my son on the East Fork of the San Gabriel River and I have been "hooked" ever since. Please come back to visit my thread as I post about the adventures and mis-adventures of My Gold Prospecting Journey. (Although, I've got a few trips to add to get you all caught up to speed so stay tuned.) Please feel free to offer me suggestions, share your knowledge, ask questions or just laugh along with me and the other guests. Thanks for visiting or subscribing to my thread and I hope you enjoy reading along! Here goes....

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you fell to peer pressure
everybody is making their own threads now
(It does make more sense than to make a million different threads for your adventures and questions)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You go Bama Girl!

I have been all up and down East and North Forks of the SG River. There are places uphill from the flats where you can get up to fingernail sized flakes (nearer the bridge to nowhere).

Best of Luck - Mike

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So when does the adventure continue?

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Sherry...been waiting to get a report on your Bazooka..How's hubby's knee doing? Have you joined a club yet ? Good luck..

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

OP
OP
Sideways Sherry

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FIRST TIME EVER PANNING, May 25, 2014

FIRST TIME EVER PANNING, May 25, 2014 - Well, I loaded up the family and we went to the San Gabriel River-East Fork that Sunday on our first ever gold panning adventure! We met a great guy named Ken who hung with us all day and showed us how it's done (I'm pretty positive he could tell we were first timer's :laughing7: ). I personally had a great time just being in the water! It reminded me of being a kid again going to the rivers, the creeks, the lakes and camping with my family back in Alabama. Honestly, I realized that there has been something missing from my life for well over 20 years... The serenity of the outdoors that only the relaxing sounds of flowing fresh water can offer! I can see A LOT more of going to the river in my future! So, here's a pic of our first panning rewards ever!

Attachments

• image-1452444675.jpg
    image-1452444675.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 410
  • image-3393413916.jpg
    image-3393413916.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 369

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love seeing that first gold in the jar. Have you made any efforts since to complete the separation process?

OP
OP
Sideways Sherry

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool Sherry...been waiting to get a report on your Bazooka..How's hubby's knee doing? Have you joined a club yet ? Good luck..

Hi Herby, Bazooka Reports will be coming... Hubby's knee is getting better, he's back on mountain bike already just not a full-bore, haven't joined a club yet been too busy buying and building equipment :wink:.

OP
OP
Sideways Sherry

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love seeing that first gold in the jar. Have you made any efforts since to complete the separation process?

Yea I have, I panned it out once I got my suction tweezers and a DRAM vial and it sure does look like a lot less now. Umph! I'm keeping all my black sands, I heard that you can extract micron gold from it somehow, just haven't had time to look into it, nor do I have a significant amount of black sand yet... By the way, that is a very small canning jar and a very close up photo so it looks like more gold nad larger that it really was.

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FIRST TIME EVER PANNING, May 25, 2014 - Well, I loaded up the family and we went to the San Gabriel River-East Fork that Sunday on our first ever gold panning adventure! We met a great guy named Ken who hung with us all day and showed us how it's done (I'm pretty positive he could tell we were first timer's :laughing7: ). I personally had a great time just being in the water! It reminded me of being a kid again going to the rivers, the creeks, the lakes and camping with my family back in Alabama. Honestly, I realized that there has been something missing from my life for well over 20 years... The serenity of the outdoors that only the relaxing sounds of flowing fresh water can offer! I can see A LOT more of going to the river in my future! So, here's a pic of our first panning rewards ever!

now just to remove the black sand fro that

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sherry look into the shake and bake method for micron gold recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread