OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well here is what's happing as of late..

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still pretty busy.. There has been a little bit of rain around here

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still pretty busy.. There has been a little bit of rain around here and the last few days have been kinda muggy.. But a nice change from the sun.. Been doing decent with the gold.. Just been finishing up some of my old diggings.. I enjoyed a nice relaxing day at home today slept in and making plans for this next week..Tommorrow I am headed to Reed Lukens Camp Figured I would bother him for a day. This Sunday or Monday will be the beginning of one my most difficult excursions.. About 12 miles to cover.. I am not entirely sure I will be able to complete it. I am excited and nervous.. Well we will see.. a lot of little details to get done before I give it a go. I suspect if I trekked thru it I might be able to do it in 2 days if I run into minimal obsticales.. I am planning for 5 days. Gotta check the area out for gold.. Anyway time will tell.. Hope everyone is doing well

That is cool!! You know mr Reed Lukens? :icon_thumright: Between the two of you...there will be no gold left for us!:laughing7: When and if you guys retire...you will make ALOT of money writing a book!

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."

John Muir

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Enjoy the 5 day MM!

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I visited ].. It was good to see

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
MM... I haven't been on this forum in awhile but while viewing some more of your' videos, I saw something that I thought you might want to be aware of! In the first video that you posted on July 22, 2014 at 11:05 PM titled "Record Day 14 grams Gold", I noticed something that you might want to check out, if it is possible! Although some rocks and stones can be mistaken for Gold, Gold has a definite look to it and especially so underwater. At minutes 4:25 through 4:29, there appears to be a fairly large Gold nugget on the bottom (on the stream bed) that is reflecting onto the underside of the surface of the water and is seen between your right arm and right leg. I wonder if anyone else saw this? If not, go back and view the video and see what you think. IMHO, due to the appearance and if you are still working in that area, it might be worth checking out.

Frank

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM,
I've not been by Joe Steiner's grave in many a year. Just in back of it and towards the river there used to be a nice grassy area made by the miners stacking rocks making the flat area. There used to be a small spring coming out of the ground that watered the grassy area.

As the river enters the Giant Gap Gorge you are in high cliff country above you and the channel is somewhat deep. About half way to Pickering there is about a 4' drop waterfall, always fun to raft through there. A short distance before Pickering there is a staircase rapids on the right and near by there is a creek coming in on the right. That gorge is some mighty lonely country and the fishing used to be very poor to none. Just before Giant Gap there used to be a series of old placer diggings/tunnels and a hard rock mine or two.

The low water would mean a lot of clambering over the rocks and all the algae does make for some treacherous hiking..............63bkpkr

Oh, our raft trips would start just down stream from the Euchre Bar foot bridge.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Duckwalk I looked again and again I just don't see it..

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Duckwalk I looked again and again I just don't see it..
it's almost like a snake head. The very large rock jutting into the water behind the otter. There is an eye a slight nose and mouth.

Look in the top side of the picture

Attachments

• image-266168909.jpg
    image-266168909.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm subscribed to this thread for the duration!

EagleDown

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM,
The first time I hiked in on the Green Valley Trail from the Alta side was in February of 1963, no backpack, no gear & no brains. ~ June 64 was the first backpack trip in there. In ~ 1972 I hiked Euchre bar for several years and then went further up river.

Green Valley has a Lot to offer. I was told that several years ago a house was built before the GV trailhead and that they had chained off the road for a considerable distance. Is the road on the Alta side still closed? I was in there when the cable bridge was still up just up river from the cabin on the Foresthill side. Is the cabin still there? Always found 'neat stuff' in green valley and the fishing back then was superb! Back then I was only into hiking, fishing, swimming and just enjoying myself. The history on all the rivers in that area is amazing and to come across a ten stamp mill, hard rock mines, drilling equipment, conveyor equipment, motors/engines is always neat.

I've rafted like four times from Euchre Bar to the second Colfax bridge, always a fun trip. We backpacked in the 4 man rafts and floated them out. Kayakers run it at much higher CFS numbers than I care to be associated with, 250 cfs is tops for me as one can not swim up river against the current. One year I had the pleasure of meeting Raymond Doore (sp) at his home close to Humbug canyon, he had some great stories!! He was very nice to my daughter and I!!

Yes I've put my boots in many places along the NFAR and plan to put down even more. I've had a lot of good times in there!!........................63bkpkr

Nice video, I saw several places I'd like to wave my GMT over. Your video shows wall to wall water and I only went through once when it was even close to that, >250 cfs, I'd guess the video water level is over 1K cfs. My first trip into GV in 63 the water was wall to wall, roaring, milk chocolate brown, big boulders (from the sound of them) bouncing on the bottom, Big trees moving down stream really fast and it was an amazing sight and experience and that is what 'hooked' me into coming back for 50 years.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions