Finding only fine gold

EliteDarkVlad

Sep 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a trip to Arizona back when I was 17 left me biten by the gold bug. I was fortunate enough to meet an old timer as many like to refer to the more experience in field of gold prospecting. His name was Sonny he would regale us with story's of his past and how to make arrow heads and find gold. There was so much to be heard and so little time well he showed my brothers and I how to pan for gold. Although I did't keep up with it due to multiple deployments in the military. Well things slowed down and freed up some time for me to prospect a bit. I panned for a few years never with any luck in finding gold at all. Now I'm in Alabama and heard there was gold here well I'm near Fort Benning and every one has told me there is gold but further north. I heard what they said but hey "Gold is Where you Find it" so I headed down to the creek from the house and dipped in my pan I was shocked to see one lonely little speck of gold. Well of course I know what gold looks like and how to find it so I went out for a whole day and found just a little fine gold. But now I'm hooked I know the gold has to come from some where but here is the kicker could it be from the sand and rock used to build bridges that cross the creek or is there good pay dirt just around the bend? Ok so all I have found is fine gold no flakes and no Pickers but the creek ends in a swamp according to Google earth. I tried going up steam this summer but ran in to about 5 cotton-mouths and I've kill 3 maybe when it's colder I'll have better luck.

Attachments

• image-3517408839.jpg
    image-3517408839.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I like your story, post some pictures!
Get a sluice! You'll process way more dirt and get more gold.
Best of luck!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome! I like your story, post some pictures!
Get a sluice! You'll process way more dirt and get more gold.
Best of luck!

Agree, get a sluice (you can find used ones on Craigslist; especially now that the summer is over).

And post some pictures when you get a chance.

If you are near Ft Benning, the Apalachicola River carries gold in it. Looks at what it drains. ApalachicolaRiverBasin.JPG

I think it will be small stuff. I always wanted to try it when I was in Alabama and even in NW Florida, but never did. Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
E

EliteDarkVlad

Sep 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an EZE-sluice and I have a great spot but the water is moving a bit quick and the cracks are deep maybe a dredge may be better. The pic is of the little gold I panned out hope to find a lot more even just bigger material would be nice.

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agree, get a sluice (you can find used ones on Craigslist; especially now that the summer is over).

And post some pictures when you get a chance.

If you are near Ft Benning, the Apalachicola River carries gold in it. Looks at what it drains. View attachment 1069718

I think it will be small stuff. I always wanted to try it when I was in Alabama and even in NW Florida, but never did. Let us know what you find.

I can assure you theres no gold worth panning in those areas on that map
if it is there its microscopic

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can assure you theres no gold worth panning in those areas on that map
if it is there its microscopic

Those areas on that map? Hmmm; no gold in Dahlonega? I have friends who have gotten gold out of that river near Atlanta. If you can find gold on the Arkansas in Kansas, why could you not find gold in that river below Georgia and Alabama gold areas?

Not trying to call you out, just not sure there is NO gold there. BTW, I did say it would be small.

Why not try it since the guy is near the river already? Come winter, water levels drop, snake population drops, why not?

OP
OP
E

EliteDarkVlad

Sep 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those areas on that map? Hmmm; no gold in Dahlonega? I have friends who have gotten gold out of that river near Atlanta. If you can find gold on the Arkansas in Kansas, why could you not find gold in that river below Georgia and Alabama gold areas? Not trying to call you out, just not sure there is NO gold there. BTW, I did say it would be small. Why not try it since the guy is near the river already? Come winter, water levels drop, snake population drops, why not?

First I should point out that the river is Chattahoochee and the gold may be in the river however there are many dams which prevents the flow of the gold. But I could drop a pan there but I doubt that the Hooch holds any gold but again "Gold is where you find it" so remember that you may think the area in perfect as I did when I was in Arizona 2 months ago and didn't find a fleck. Came back to Alabama very pessimistic that I would see any color but I did so you just never know.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First I should point out that the river is Chattahoochee and the gold may be in the river however there are many dams which prevents the flow of the gold. But I could drop a pan there but I doubt that the Hooch holds any gold but again "Gold is where you find it" so remember that you may think the area in perfect as I did when I was in Arizona 2 months ago and didn't find a fleck. Came back to Alabama very pessimistic that I would see any color but I did so you just never know.

The dams, yes, they prevent movement NOW of gold, but the dams were not always there. It was just an idea; I think I would head up towards Talladega, Lineville, Talladega National Forest, etc., the old gold Alabama regions. Do your homework first and perhaps you can find some land to pan/sluice. And there is the Alabama Gold Camp, though it is pay. Good luck with your panning, may they all have color.

OP
OP
E

EliteDarkVlad

Sep 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dams, yes, they prevent movement NOW of gold, but the dams were not always there. It was just an idea; I think I would head up towards Talladega, Lineville, Talladega National Forest, etc., the old gold Alabama regions. Do your homework first and perhaps you can find some land to pan/sluice. And there is the Alabama Gold Camp, though it is pay. Good luck with your panning, may they all have color.

Thanks I have done a lot of research I know where to go it's just trying to find time.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold be where you find it. Go find it!

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those areas on that map? Hmmm; no gold in Dahlonega? I have friends who have gotten gold out of that river near Atlanta. If you can find gold on the Arkansas in Kansas, why could you not find gold in that river below Georgia and Alabama gold areas?

Not trying to call you out, just not sure there is NO gold there. BTW, I did say it would be small.

Why not try it since the guy is near the river already? Come winter, water levels drop, snake population drops, why not?

I wasn't talking about Dahlonega(duh :))
I was talking about the Appalachian floodplain off the Chattahoochee I live a small walk from the hooch' and I can confirm it doesn't bear much in the first place, and in Georgia water levels RISE in the winter due to heavy rains
and the Arkansas/Kansas rivers are WORLDS away from the Chattahoochee if you didn't already know(a vital thing to Georgia prospecting) streams in the southeast
form smaller and slower-moving due to the source of the water in streams, because of this you NEED to be fairly close to the source to find decent gold
this is why you never find well rounded flakes in Georgia, its all fresh out of the vein

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread