Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Second one:

Here's the jig completed. It has a piece of 2x2 angle welded to each end. Also in the pic is the piece of 4x4 angle that is going to sit on top of it. A big c-clamp slides right into the 2x2 angle to clamp the 4x4 angle down. I didn't get a pic of the clamp as I figured everyone would be able to figure it out.

Attachments

• 20161223_131916.jpg
    20161223_131916.jpg
    804.6 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Third one:
In this pic the 4x4 angle is clamped to the jig. Also in the pic is my 6" Milwaukee angle grinder. Unfortunately, my 6" grinder wouldn't work here due to the arbor sticking down to far. This was one of those Arrghhh moments. I had to use one of my Dealt 4 1/2" grinders here. Slow and almost aggravating to say the least.

The Grainger is supposed to ride with the guard flat on the 4x4 angle jig to give a specified angled on the piece of 4x4 clamped to the top of the jig.

Attachments

• 20161223_132103.jpg
    20161223_132103.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fourth one:

And here is the result of two cutoff wheels and about 30 minutes of messing around.

Here's another hint: the total included angle is 135 degrees.

Attachments

• 20161223_152214.jpg
    20161223_152214.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fifth and last one for tonight. This one is kinda going to give it away. Didn't take any pics of the cutting these parts as they were just straight 90 degree cuts and simple measuring. Its sitting on my welding table clamped together with vise grips and c-clamp to make sure all the measurements were right.

Please don't mind my mess. Going through stuff in preparation to insulate and finish the inside of my garage.

Attachments

• 20161223_180756.jpg
    20161223_180756.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is cool...
Are you going to use the RAGE Multipurpose TCT Blades, or a diamond blade?
I would like to know how the RAGE blades hold up/work/cut.

So far the blade has held up well. Made about 40 cuts with it today. The blade is chews right threw 1/4" and 3/8". Cut quality is decent but could be better, but not enough of a problem to go to a high dollar saw when a couple of minutes with a flapper wheel will fix it. It really doesn't matter what saw it is, a 14" blade us going to wander in a cut. The saw blades are just too thin and flexible for extreme precicion

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fifth and last one for tonight. This one is kinda going to give it away. Didn't take any pics of the cutting these parts as they were just straight 90 degree cuts and simple measuring. Its sitting on my welding table clamped together with vise grips and c-clamp to make sure all the measurements were right.

Please don't mind my mess. Going through stuff in preparation to insulate and finish the inside of my garage.

I must say... I see a mantle... In it's present state.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I got it! A shoe and boot drying rack!! Happy Dance.gif

It looks like you might be making a brake for bending sheet metal. :dontknow: But I would assume you already have one of those?

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got it! A shoe and boot drying rack!! View attachment 1394211

It looks like you might be making a brake for bending sheet metal. :dontknow: But I would assume you already have one of those?

Ding, ding. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Yes I have a straight brake, just a little Harbor Freight special piece of crap, but not a box and pan brake. I could buy a box and pan brake, but I figured why not build one, reawaken the miner's spirit, and keep to the idea of building the basic tools we need with simple hand tools. Then we can build on the tools we've built, gain experience in fabrication, and then build ALL of what we need since nobody builds anything for the small scale guy.

I have a hydraulic press brake drawn up for when this is done. And yes I will teach you all how to use these tools. Its not hard. You just need some imagination, some critical thinking skills, and the ability to say "f#$@ it", I can do this no matter what anybody else says.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Chicken dinner? Sure!! Send it in care of Hungry Man, Bird Feather Lane! :laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm...something tells me I won't make it in time for dinner! :BangHead:

2016.12.24 Christmas Blizzard Warning!.jpg

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really don't miss the snow. On a plus side, if I really did want to see snow, I'd send the kids up to the high country to get some. Nothing quite like a snowball fight in shorts and t shirts when it 70 degrees. They like to mess with me like that. As I tell them, its all fun and games until one of you gets hit in the mouth with a snowball. Then it is downright hilarious.

Anyway, I went out to work on the brake some more, since I took a half day of work off today (gotta love 4 weeks of vacation a year) and in the span of half an hour, the ballasts on 4 of the lights went bad. So it was off to town for some LED replacement lights. I'll get them up tomorrow then its back to work.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Youre not kidding he is the GURU when it comes to hydraulics. I have known him since I was a kid. Hes an old family friend. he knows his stuff!!

Been awhile since I posted anything so here goes. I just finished brushing up on hydraulics. I spent four days in a classroom so I could show the PROPER way to deal wuth hydraulics. I am moving forward on my idea of lawn/garden tractor based machines. I have to go on Sunday to pick up a Dynamark tractor that was given to me by a friend. I am going to pass on a lot of information concerning hydraulics and making a few recommendations such as buying this book, FLUID POWER SAFETY INSTITUTE™ - Complete description of How To Interpret Fluid Power Symbols book and Interactive CD-Rom . THis guy in THE GURU as far as hydraulics are concerned.

I HIGHLY recommend buying this book as an educational reference as one really needs to understand what is going on when messing with hydraulics. Hydraulic fluid injection injuries can be devastating. They seem harmless as they only make a small pinprick hole that most would ignore. To get my point across, I'll show you a few images of a hydraulic fluid injection injury.

Mods, I know these are going to be graphic, but everyone needs to understand what they are messing with if they decide to mess with these things. Please leave them up. I am not doing this because of some sick perversion, just ot serve a s a warning not to get stupid with hydraulics.

WARNING: GRAPHICS PICS FOLLOW!!!!

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is so much vehicular carnage at my house right now it isn't funny. The Jeep is down for a small block swap. My boys truck is down for a bent leaf spring and blown up front axle, and my truck is down for a messed up transmission from getting my boys truck out if where it was.

So the hell with it. I'm getting drunk tonight.

Attachments

• 20170225_204758.jpg
    20170225_204758.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 83

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not with that your not -😂😂😂

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go, you can have some of this....But be careful, you don't need a bent axle or a blown leaf spring...:icon_scratch::laughing7:

DSCN1006.JPG

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170223_195342.jpg
get you something like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boys truck is fixed. Parts for mine should be here Thursday. No more fork in a blender sounds from my transmission.

Some eye candy for ya all to drool over. The Jeep is becoming the wife's rockhounding vehicle so I'm going through everything and making it "bulletproof".

Attachments

• 20170228_215134.jpg
    20170228_215134.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 97

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions