Noob Adventures in Prospecting, Central Texas Style!

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Bazooka Gold Trap 36" Sniper
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First off, I am new to prospecting.
A little Background:
I am in my mid 30's, have a wife and two kids, and am physically disabled (I have MAJOR back problems).
I spent my working lifetime doing a LARGE variety of jobs, including, car sales, tree trimming, running a shift at a graphite mine, working in a machine shop, and also running several successful computer and tech businesses, including a website design and hosting firm.

My father has been a member of the GPAA for years.

I recently got stung by the bug, and I want to make prospecting a lifelong hobby.

My issue is, I live in Central Texas, and by most reports, the pickins are slim.

I spent the weekend two weeks ago out at the Llano river, panning. Found a lot of black sand, and a lot of bird and rat shot. But no gold. Now, I didn't really expect to find any gold with just a pan, so was not really disappointed by my failure. BUT, I do want to do better.

This weekend, I started to build a "gold trap" out of plexiglass, and some supports that I designed and printed using my 3d printers (incase you haven't figured it out, I'm a technogeek). I actually run my 3d printers for a LOT of customers, building all sorts of plastic things, so designing the supports was no issue for me.

I should be finishing the trap sometime this week, and will post some pictures of it once it is complete.

I will also make sure to post pictures of anything I find, and keep a running journal of anything I build, learn, or am curious about while I embark on this adventure of (hopeful) gold discovery in my area!

(2/10/15)
Well, My home made box idea didn't work out as well as I had hoped. I used too light of material to make it, and it wasn't strong enough.

On the other hand, I am working on a website design for a Treasure Hunting shop, that we are hoping to barter for a new sluice box, and sniper. I should know by the end of the week if the gentleman and I can come to an agreement.

When the box idea failed, I still went out to the river and panned for about 5hrs digging out some cracks.

Here is what happened:

When I showed up, and picked my spot, there was a group of 4 guys upstream about 100yds from me. I walked on over and introduced myself. These guys has the most interesting MICRO Highbanker I've ever seen. The thing was SMALL!

They also had a nice little sniper tool, and had been there for about an hour.

They ran steady the whole time I was there, and at the end of my 5 hour run, I went back to talk to them.

Now I had found 100+ pieces of lead shot, 2x lead pellets, 2x bullet fragmnts, a pound of black sand, and a crusted old penny(unfortunately, it was a modern penny, not something nice)

When I went over to talk to them, I jokingly asked if they had found their 100 pieces of birdshot yet. THEY SAID NO! They had found almost no black sand, NO lead, and no gold.....

I had not expected to find gold, with just a pan, in the Llano, but to run a sniper and highbanker, and find no black sand OR lead?????

Atleast with the concentrates I pulled out, I know that I wasn't panning wrong (because of the lead and such) but I felt for these poor guys.

(2/14/2015)
Just traded a website design for a brand new sluice!
Spent a long time talking to a gentleman named Rocky, who owns the "Treasure Hunters Supply and Rock Shop" in Kingsland(right down the road from the Llano Slabs".

After the trade, and the chat, I didn't have a lot of time to run my new piece of hardware, but still got about 5 buckets worth of material through it. Heres some pics of the day.

Heres the new Sluice. Its a Jobe Yellow jacket 45" Stream Sluice:
20150214_184015.jpg
20150214_184036.jpg

Here's some pics of my two daughters, my service dog, and I running the sluice in the Llano river today (Sorry about the quality. My wife's phone takes pretty crappy pics):
0214151708.jpg
0214151708a.jpg
0214151708b.jpg
0214151709.jpg

And here's a pic of the cleanout I did after running my puny 5 buckets of sand:
20150214_184132.jpg

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Start making plans to run that new Goldtrap style sluice here in Colorado, or maybe in New Mexico, they have decent gold too :)

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This summer, I'm hoping to have made a few custom built pieces of equipment, and take them on vacation to either New Mexico or Arizona.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas has a lot going for it. Unfortunately plentiful gold ain't one of them. N. Mex Colo. AZ would be worth the trip. Good Luck

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Texas has a lot going for it. Unfortunately plentiful gold ain't one of them. N. Mex Colo. AZ would be worth the trip. Good Luck

Yeah, its sad that gold isn't plentiful here. But.....I'll still have fun with it! We are hoping for a month long trip to AZ or NM this summer (and maybe a few days in Co). Until then, I just have to see if I can hunt up some of that elusive TX gold :tongue3:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, its sad that gold isn't plentiful here. But.....I'll still have fun with it! We are hoping for a month long trip to AZ or NM this summer (and maybe a few days in Co). Until then, I just have to see if I can hunt up some of that elusive TX gold :tongue3:

Good luck if you make it to NM or AZ to prospect this summer! Just make sure you take along a lot of sunscreen cream, long pants and shirts, a wide brimmed hat, lots and lots of water and a lot of batteries for your' air conditioned underwear, you will need them. Prospecting in most areas of those states is better done in the Fall, Spring or Winter.

Frank

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck if you make it to NM or AZ to prospect this summer! Just make sure you take along a lot of sunscreen cream, long pants and shirts, a wide brimmed hat, lots and lots of water and a lot of batteries for your' air conditioned underwear, you will need them. Prospecting in most areas of those states is better done in the Fall, Spring or Winter.

Frank

CO on the other hand is beautiful in summer! Just sayin'

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Frank

Oh and I forgot to mention not to forget the Snake Gaiters! Rattlesnakes are abundant in both States not to mention the Scorpions and other no so nice critters.

Frank

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I spent a some time in the Desert when I was a kid. Really miss it actually. Been in Texas for over 20yrs, and I know I will crisp, but I really cant wait!

Scorpions and Rattlers don't really scare me all that much (I know how to act around them).

I Know that fall or spring would be a better time, but with two children in school, my spring and fall is pretty off limits.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, My home made box idea didn't work out as well as I had hoped. I used too light of material to make it, and it wasn't strong enough.

On the other hand, I am working on a website design for a Treasure Hunting shop, that we are hoping to barter for a new sluice box, and sniper. I should know by the end of the week if the gentleman and I can come to an agreement.

When the box idea failed, I still went out to the river and panned for about 5hrs digging out some cracks.

Here is what happened:

When I showed up, and picked my spot, there was a group of 4 guys upstream about 100yds from me. I walked on over and introduced myself. These guys has the most interesting MICRO Highbanker I've ever seen. The thing was SMALL!

They also had a nice little sniper tool, and had been there for about an hour.

They ran steady the whole time I was there, and at the end of my 5 hour run, I went back to talk to them.

Now I had found 100+ pieces of lead shot, 2x lead pellets, 2x bullet fragmnts, a pound of black sand, and a crusted old penny(unfortunately, it was a modern penny, not something nice)

When I went over to talk to them, I jokingly asked if they had found their 100 pieces of birdshot yet. THEY SAID NO! They had found almost no black sand, NO lead, and no gold.....

I had not expected to find gold, with just a pan, in the Llano, but to run a sniper and highbanker, and find no black sand OR lead?????

Atleast with the concentrates I pulled out, I know that I wasn't panning wrong (because of the lead and such) but I felt for these poor guys.

(Added to original journal post)

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Makes me wonder if they had too much pressure running through the highbanker. Too much pressure would blow any blacksands, bird shot etc right out of the box.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Makes me wonder if they had too much pressure running through the highbanker. Too much pressure would blow any blacksands, bird shot etc right out of the box.

Maybe. Also, though I really only know what i've seen in videos, it looked like the HB was at WAY too high an angle. I'm talking way over 45 degrees.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Check my Original Post to see some pics of it.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Check my Original Post to see some pics of it.

Good job! I hope Rocky also gave you some tips on where to dig :)

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good job! I hope Rocky also gave you some tips on where to dig :)

Oh yes. I was there for almost 3 hours, and that man is a treasure trove of information. Well worth a visit if you are ever in this neck of the woods!

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, Not a "LEGIT" gold find, but I got my first gold today.

I now have 18 little pieces of gold, from a little paydirt bag I got. I should be at the Slabs this weekend, looking for my own gold, but this was just a little bit of fun panning for myself and my father. This is what I got:

THE BAG OF PAYDIRT:
20150219_154605.jpg
20150219_154612.jpg
20150219_154621.jpg

WHAT I FOUND:
20150219_182749.jpg

That was from a half pound of "paydirt". I have a 1lb bag coming next week, to play with again, and then I will rely on what I find in the river for my color from now on.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My father-in-law just inherited a Minelab Explorer II from an old friend of his. I thought my Bounty Hunter Time Ranger was pretty cool.....until I saw this thing!

Too bad he wants to keep it, even though he will never use it :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread