goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok folks.... There is going to be a lapse in this thread for at least a couple of weeks starting today. I'm going to be very busy getting the trailer finished up and getting the loading done. I'm going to have to maximize space usage as well as make sure the weight is distributed correctly. I'm down to just over two weeks left before I take off to Kingman. Lots to do and very little time to get it done since I'm a one man show around here. I'll check back in as soon as I can.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking forward to trailer pics!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Should be able to post pics and videos once I get used to the controls on this thing

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the mods on the trailer are almost done. I should be able to post some pics in the next day or two. Will be a good test for the camera on this new phone.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah.... they didn't have that layer until AFTER I had gone through 2 months of download allotment.

Oh, I just started downloading when I saw your link. Thanks so much for that. And since you had already posted about the PLSS, I looked for it and found how to do it. I did not know that a couple of months before the newer maps were updated (I was downloading 2013 maps with no problems). I was trying to be helpful, no slight intended. You obviously have done a great job in researching.

BTW, are you using Orthoimage on your maps? It seems to be helpful; maybe not so much in the desert regions.

Thanks again for this thread and sharing all the work you have put into it and your claim process.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No slight taken Dave. I learned how to read maps back in 76 while in the Army as an Infantryman. I've developed the ability to look at a regular topo and see the terrain features in my mind. The satellite views are handy at times but most of the images are 3-5 years old. A lot can change in that time period so I don't rely on them. The contours of the land USUALLY don't change that much or that quickly. (Mt St. Helens is a example of very rapid change to terrain)

On another note.... I finished up the shelves on the expedition trailer except for the outer supports for the doors/tables. I was thinking of making up some drop down legs but realized that I'd have to figure out some way to make them adjustable. So I've decided to go with chains instead. I'll be picking up the chain needed and getting them installed later this afternoon. I have to slay the dreaded laundry monster first. The shelves are going to work out great and will be a great way to keep many of the smaller items handy. One side is set up as a kitchen/pantry and the other is set up as a combination office/map table and processing table. I'll try to get pics and post them as soon as I get the chains finished up.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The "Expediton Trailer"

Ok... Here are a couple of pictures of the "Expedition Trailer". I still need to get the support chains installed and get some kind of finish on the bare wood to protect it. Doors are weatherstripped to keep dust and rain out and they're lockable. Left side (drivers side) is set up as the kitchen and pantry while the right side is the tools and "office" space.

0306151433.jpg
Buttoned up and ready to roll to a claim near you!

0306151436.jpg
Plenty of room for tools. I can even wire up a recirc system in the field if needed!!! I have a portable writing desk to hold all the office stuff like pens, drafting tools etc. and a milk crate with books and paperwork. There are swing out lantern holders on both sides.

0306151437.jpg
Still have the full 4'X8' cargo area for the mining equipment

0306151434.jpg
I've already started stocking up on the "Beans and Bullets" in the pantry. Still have to get the rest of the canned goods and stock them. I should be able to eat from this stock for a minimum of a month at a time. With the table supported by chains instead of legs, all I have to do is park in on a level spot (side to side) and then use the trailer hitch jack to level it front to rear.

I'm also working up a mount that will allow me to haul my buckets on the outside of the trailer to save more room on the inside. I've got until the 14th to have it finished, stocked and ready to pull out on the 15th. Will be meeting up with Chris from Houston at Kentucky Camp and then heading up to Kingman the next morning.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok... Here are a couple of pictures of the "Expedition Trailer". I still need to get the support chains installed and get some kind of finish on the bare wood to protect it. Doors are weatherstripped to keep dust and rain out and they're lockable. Left side (drivers side) is set up as the kitchen and pantry while the right side is the tools and "office" space.

View attachment 1127895
Buttoned up and ready to roll to a claim near you!

View attachment 1127897
Plenty of room for tools. I can even wire up a recirc system in the field if needed!!! I have a portable writing desk to hold all the office stuff like pens, drafting tools etc. and a milk crate with books and paperwork. There are swing out lantern holders on both sides.

View attachment 1127898
Still have the full 4'X8' cargo area for the mining equipment

View attachment 1127896
I've already started stocking up on the "Beans and Bullets" in the pantry. Still have to get the rest of the canned goods and stock them. I should be able to eat from this stock for a minimum of a month at a time. With the table supported by chains instead of legs, all I have to do is park in on a level spot (side to side) and then use the trailer hitch jack to level it front to rear.

I'm also working up a mount that will allow me to haul my buckets on the outside of the trailer to save more room on the inside. I've got until the 14th to have it finished, stocked and ready to pull out on the 15th. Will be meeting up with Chris from Houston at Kentucky Camp and then heading up to Kingman the next morning.

That looks super. That is really making use of the environment you plan to prospect in. That would be tough to use in western Washington but is great for the desert! Do you have a sat link?

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol no.. Don' have a Sat Link (yet) but I will have T.V. with DVDs to watch during the down time in the evenings. In time I plan on going full solar for powering equipment. I will also be able to haul 135 gallons of water which will keep me going for a couple of weeks at a time.

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a neat trailer! Looks like the beginning of one heck of a good time. Better be careful showing that thing off, everyone will wanna being camping out next to you

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Where I'm going to be at I really doubt that is going to be a problem. Then again, after being in the middle of no where for a couple of months some company might be nice.

Heading into town to get the chain to make the table supports and finish buying my provisions. Only a week left to get everything finished up.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol. What has you up this early Grasshopper? Wound the rooster too tight last night? Will call you in a bit here.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
That looks super. That is really making use of the environment you plan to prospect in. That would be tough to use in western Washington but is great for the desert! Do you have a sat link?

Yeah in my part of Alaska you would need a 2' wide downswinging table to work on & a 4'wide upswinging cover to work under to keep the rain off!!! There is something to be said for the desert! :happysmiley: I know I love visiting family down in Prescott & one of these days when I'm down there I will get to take my detector out & play.

That trailer is going go work slick, & will make things a lot more convenient for you. Great engineering & construction!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Vance. I put a lot of thought into it and it should pay off nicely. Will be going in on Saturday and getting new tires all around on my truck. Just picked up some more stuff for the kitchen that I needed. Only find e more days to get everything ready to rock n roll. I'm already beat, and I haven't moved a single shovels worth of dirt yet!!!!!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the loading up has started! I will be hitting the road Sunday morning about 10ish as I have a couple of stops to make on the way to Kentucky Camp to meet up with Chris. Camp out there for the night and then head up to Tucson to pick up some buckets from AzViper then start the long haul up to Kingman. Hummmmm.... maybe I should stop in and buy Clay a beer as I pass through his neck of the woods.....

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Buy Clay (Barry) a beer"... On behalf of his admiring fans, yes please do!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol... if I was to buy him one for each of his fans two things would happen. First I'd go broke buying that much beer and second, we'd be drunk as lords in no time. Since I'm just a poor miner and still have to drive from his place to Kingman I think I will keep it to just one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread