Matts prospecting journal

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt's prospecting journal

This will be where I post most of what I learn, find, and other things I find to talk about. everyone is more than welcome to post comments and suggestions. I'm all for learning from those who have more experience than I.

As of right now there ain't much going on. just relaxing and doing research on whatever crosses my mind. I'll be posting more later thanks

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds great. You are in Utah so I would guess the winter weather is similar to here and you might be able to get out this weekend. We expect pictures if you do. :)

And sharing anything useful you find while researching is great since we are always welcoming learning.

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll definitely be trying. I gottalking work this Saturday :( but luckily I've only got 1 maybe 2 weeks left as a press help Trainor. Then I move up to a press operator and I'll be working Monday through Thursday 5 pm to 5 am. I'll take the night shift I don't care I'm sick of being a press help/Trainor/press apprentice. and I hate working Sunday Monday Tuesday and everything other Saturday. but I do get time to go up when there's not to many people up the canyons witch is nice. I don't have to fight for a good spot in some areas. but I'll still be happy to have the weekend of and so will the wife

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So anyways. I'm rather irrateted about being banned from a Gold prospecting site. I found out why and it's a joke. I was talking to 1 of there People in authority over the site. I vented some frustration with people causing problems on a Post that I made. they deleted it and contacted me to tell me it was deleted. I thanked him and released a little aggravation cause I had tried to steer the conversation away from the problems I seen coming then it blew up. I thanked him again and ended the conversation then I was booted. I wasn't Rude or anything and I didn't go off on him. I could have been a real jerk and called everyone out that had started it but anyway what can you do. better off I guess, Just irratating.

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oooo. The good news. I got my grizzly 3 sluice recently. Torry the owner of Bear Bottom Mining came down and personally dropped it off and showed me how to use it.
So I Decided I'd test this guy out. just playing in my yard. I dug down tell I hit Hard pan. very nasty stuff but anyway I tried to get through it and only managed about an inch down if that. but anyway after running everything through the grizzly Iactually found a couple ity bity teany tiny specs of color. just bearly able to see it with my 40× Loope.
I haven't had any problems with this guy. after I even tried to flood the trap because I seen others talk about that. well I tried. I tried the hose. I tried dumping 3 buckets onto it as fast as I could. and so on. the water over the trap stayed nice and even. the water in the grizzly however didn't. it flooded the hole back of the grizzly. witch is nice to now cause it cleaned out all the over burden that was left from my digging. But anyway I can't wait to use this guy. I've already contacted the local ranger station the one I was having problems with and he said he has no problems with it so long as there's nothing Machanical and it's not in the river. so I'm good to go. so I have the bazookas. the grizzly 3. and a keene a51a. witch I'm thinking about selling if anyone is interested. but I doubt it.
So now all that's left is to get my wife her calsluice #2b and the bazooka prospector I think. what would yall recommend for a Bazooka. I want 1 that's still fairly light but can handle shovel after shovel

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oooo. The good news. I got my grizzly 3 sluice recently. Torry the owner of Bear Bottom Mining came down and personally dropped it off and showed me how to use it.
So I Decided I'd test this guy out. just playing in my yard. I dug down tell I hit Hard pan. very nasty stuff but anyway I tried to get through it and only managed about an inch down if that. but anyway after running everything through the grizzly Iactually found a couple ity bity teany tiny specs of color. just bearly able to see it with my 40× Loope.
I haven't had any problems with this guy. after I even tried to flood the trap because I seen others talk about that. well I tried. I tried the hose. I tried dumping 3 buckets onto it as fast as I could. and so on. the water over the trap stayed nice and even. the water in the grizzly however didn't. it flooded the hole back of the grizzly. witch is nice to now cause it cleaned out all the over burden that was left from my digging. But anyway I can't wait to use this guy. I've already contacted the local ranger station the one I was having problems with and he said he has no problems with it so long as there's nothing Machanical and it's not in the river. so I'm good to go. so I have the bazookas. the grizzly 3. and a keene a51a. witch I'm thinking about selling if anyone is interested. but I doubt it.
So now all that's left is to get my wife her calsluice #2b and the bazooka prospector I think. what would yall recommend for a Bazooka. I want 1 that's still fairly light but can handle shovel after shovel

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suggest the mid length prospector 36" with heavy grizzly and thicker plastic.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suggest the mid length prospector 36" with heavy grizzly and thicker plastic.

Well, there you have it, 'cause Kevin knows his Bazooka's. I think that is a versatile sluice and am thinking of buying one (or making, but the garage has been so cold this winter, I have done nothing out there; maybe I should just buy one).

:)

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweetness thanks Kevin. as always you've been a great help and I can't wait. especially after watching those videos on the bazooka. they give a great demonstration and he explains it in detail and shows it. the way it works I can't see 1 spec of gold getting away at all

Watch "Looking for Gold - Episode 6 - Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice - Part 1" on YouTube
Looking for Gold - Episode 6 - Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice - Part 1: https://youtu.be/IlKmPslbKe4
Matthew Child

Watch "Looking for Gold - Episode 6 - Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice - Part 2" on YouTube
Looking for Gold - Episode 6 - Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice - Part 2: https://youtu.be/l5qdo5S9YWM

where he shows how the trap is supposed to work is about 14 minutes through the first video. but he gives a very nice explenation and is very detailed on how it works.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got off the phone with Criss from bazooka. No big secret there looking at doing some cool things here soon.
I love talking with these guys.

But anyway I've been looking seriously at the prospector 30 or 36 inch. the way I look at it either we have to drop a shovel wait tell the Deck clears to drop another shovel on the 30 or drop 2 shovel fulls on the 36 at the same time. anyone got anything to say on this matter.

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this has nothing to do whit Prospecting or anything here. But I come from a military Family. My brother, my uncle, my grandfather, my cousins. Most have been Marines some army. but they served there country with honor. Sadly I wasn't able to after an accident left me broken with tons of extra hardware. Luckily I can still walk.
So I'm posting this out of respect. This is how our Soldiers should be respected. Weather they come home alive or Not.
this crap like in Vietnam, where they where spit on and hated. to this bunch of so called religious and church members from that 1 church who sit and protest our men and wemon coming home and vandalize there Graves and cause pain and anguish to those who are already suffering so much.
This crap needs to stop. they need to understand these are men and wemon who have fought, bleed and died for this country and the freedoms they Hide behind while they hurt others whos sons and daughters gave them those privileges.
The men, wemon and There K9 companions who serve and have served had no choice where they went. or what they had to do to do there job. its do or die, and many Gave there lives to give you those rights. You should be thanking them.
I personally thank each and everyone of you who have served Our wonderful country.

DELTA'S HONOR GUARD: Watch What Delta Airlines Does For Fallen Soldier And His K9 | Doug Giles | #ClashDaily

This is how all the Soldiers should be treated when they get back. Weather they gave there lives or came home safely. Honor guard, music, a greatfull crowd waiting to great them. this is how we should welcome those who have fought for this wounderful country

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got off the phone with Criss from bazooka. No big secret there looking at doing some cool things here soon.
I love talking with these guys.

But anyway I've been looking seriously at the prospector 30 or 36 inch. the way I look at it either we have to drop a shovel wait tell the Deck clears to drop another shovel on the 30 or drop 2 shovel fulls on the 36 at the same time. anyone got anything to say on this matter.

You can't drop two shovel fulls at a time on the 36 inch but that is still the length I'd recommend. I used to have a 30" and now I have a 36"...both are nice but...

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't drop two shovel fulls at a time on the 36 inch but that is still the length I'd recommend. I used to have a 30" and now I have a 36"...both are nice but...

Awe ok. cause Criss said the 30 he could shovel straight into by himself. the 36 could handle more of a 2 man thing. and that's he uses the most is the 30 when he goes out. I was thinking the 36 cause the wife and I. and you said that would be the 1 to get and would also be a great 1 man tool. longer runway for the material to process before it hits the trap.
Also a side by side test for the Bazooka and calsluice.
the way I see it the longer the run way the more it classifies things before it hits the trap. So I believe the 36 is where where going. Just cause.
gotta admit though 200 bucks for the prospector 30 inch isn't bad at all

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought the 36 inch prospector heavy duty.

I'm glad I got the mini and the sniper first. cause I had no idea what I was getting into with these. these are serious prospecting tools. you want to play then get something else you want to dig your heart out and find gold then bazooka is for you. and they catch everything from smallest gold to large. I always get the standard grizzly. I thought about asking for the larger ones but I'd still want them to be the same 1/4 inch apart. but anyway I've gotten some good tips on things I can do with the 36 and some other things. God I can't wait to try this baby out. this is gonna be so fun

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out a little this week. I tore up an area close buy but didn't find dittaly. o well next time I head up that way I'll know I gotta go way higher. there's been a couple guys go up there and finding some nice gold. but I'm not sure where there going so I started down lower in the canyon. but garrenty if there's hold coming out of there from one of the side rivers I'll find it.

Other news My birthday was awesome. got some new work boots, a couples tat, thanks to my artist, and on top of all that I got a promotion. my boss called me the day of my birthday and told me theyre moving me up to press, I start Monday. can't wait. I'll be on Graves but it means a more steady work schedule Monday through Thursday. 48 hours a week and a nice pay raise. my first promotion is up to 13 then once I can hang with the rest of the operators they'll bump me up to 15. and on top of all that i got to order the Bazooka 36 inch prospector. can't beat that for a birthday

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats all 'round Matt! ...and Fridays off to go prospecting!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Posted by Skiddum...
"But anyway I can't wait to use this guy. I've already contacted the local ranger station the one I was having problems with and he said he has no problems with it so long as there's nothing Machanical and it's not in the river. so I'm good to go."

I'm just a little confused...isn't your sluice going to be in the river?

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted by Skiddum...
"But anyway I can't wait to use this guy. I've already contacted the local ranger station the one I was having problems with and he said he has no problems with it so long as there's nothing Machanical and it's not in the river. so I'm good to go."

I'm just a little confused...isn't your sluice going to be in the river?

Haha. sorry. the bazooka is for allot of other areas. but like the area I hit this week a couple of the rangers don't know the laws so they come up and make a big stink.
But anyway the sluice I use up there is the grizzly 3. it's not a river sluice. it's a dip box and a darn good 1.
I got my 100 mesh screen today and the falcon pan. I re-ran everything through the screen There is gold in it. but I need a 150 to 200 mesh screen to get it out. and there's actually I nice lit bit.
but it's so small getting it is almost impossible unless I can find some screens that are 150 to 300. but that to me is an darn good sign. cause A the Grizzly caught it. B that tells me there is gold up there. I talked to my uncle to about that canyon. he showed me where I should start, where he found gold up there. there's 1 stream that comes out right at this huge bend and another just above that bend. he said he found gold in that bend, not allot but enough. It's Way Above Where I was. and FROM WHAT My Uncle Was Saying It sounds Like It Coming out of 1 of those rivers.

O yeah Kevin Friday I'm hitting 1 of my favorite holes this weekend I hope it's still closed to Cars and such. 2 miles up and if no one else has gotten up there like I'm hoping then I'll have first dibbs and Ima tear it up
So I can try out the new 36 ZOOK. o yeah

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, seems like when you do find the gold your problems have just begun. I'll take a look at the grizzly 3 (dip box). I don't think I've seen one in action. Good luck and more gold to ya!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions