The Grizzly Tales; Live from AU Colorado

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Welcome to the yellowest place you will ever see! Allow me to introduce myself, im Grizz. I recently moved from the hardest state in the union, New Hampshire to colorful Golden, Colorado.
I consider prospecting an art as it is. Much goes into thinking about how to move as much dirt as possible in a very short amount of time.
My equipment is basic but efficient. The workhorse of my inventory is a 4" keene ultra mini 6.5hp dredge.
My dredge is equipped with a 3/4" blaster nozzle and a t-80 air compressor with tank and regulator,
I also use black, green, and blue pans, 1/2" to 10 mesh classifiers, and a proline 36" sluice stripped and laid with 1/4" ribbed rubber.
Last season my brother and i managed 7.74 grams from NH. My previous diary follows our every trip.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427414783.186221.jpg

The gold is rare in NH but can be large and chunky!
Colorado is much different, the gold is plentiful, but small. Dredge mods will be needed but few.
Thus far i have started this season off right.
I planned on leaving the dredge alone until april, and have stuck to it.
I feel its important to start with a PAN everywhere you go.
Prospecting means sampling!
Not just dumping your dredge in a spot and going at it.
Gold doesn't want to be found. It likes to hide, so a search for values is completely
necessary to find the richest dirt.
As Kevin and others can tell you, living around Denver is amazing. No city offers so much for us out of doors "recreator" types.

The first good gold i have found is the deep yellow metal of south platte river.
This river is off limits to dredging but sluicing can be great. Nice size pieces are still around and the fines add up quickly!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427415891.789197.jpg

Today was the best day yet, shallow diggings, perfect weather, and very consistent gold throughout!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427416316.793240.jpg
This is about 1/4 gram of gold and took 1.5 hours to dig. I was not in the richest part of this particular gravel bar either, however in my dig spot i could shovel right into my sluice, and move lots of dirt. Even though i wasn't on the best gold i found more than double what i would have if i was digging buckets, classifying, and scooping

This is going to be a great season. Im always open to team or group. After last season I'm setting a more reachable goal of 1+ ounce.
Let the dirt play begin!

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grizz Only one oz. If your dredging and the way you clean up an area. I guessing more like three ounces. Good to hear from you. Wondering how you were doing.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking good, and goals for the upcoming season?
Heavy pans!

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Im hoping i smash my 1 ounce goal. Hopefully one of the 8-10 claims ill be dredging have some streakyness! Too bad the south platte is off limits. I could do 2+ grams a day easy.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking forward to meeting on the river GG! Even tho you shared info on that S Platte honey hole, I'm not going until we can go together...seems more fair :)

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
You are very right! Good thing there is more dirt than anyone could ever want.
I was going to dredge weds or thurs but i think im going back with a rake and scraping a big big swath!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reach out if your plans solidify, I'd love to see your raking technique in person!

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
For sure! I will 100% be at steele st big bend at noon until sunset.
Im moving a bunch of dirt through my little sluice!
.5 gram goal!!
Please anyone is more than welcome to join in on the fun!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Assuming I am over this virus...I'm there! Won't arrive at noon due to work but a bit later in the pm...see ya soon!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That darn work thing just gets in the way...we gotta find a way past it one of these days!

Yeah, but without it, I would have a hard time convincing my wife I need to go gold prospecting--she knows I don't earn enough from gold to replace what the Air Force Academy pays me.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For sure! I will 100% be at steele st big bend at noon until sunset.
Im moving a bunch of dirt through my little sluice!
.5 gram goal!!
Please anyone is more than welcome to join in on the fun!!

Ok, my work schedule looks good so I think I'll get to Big Bend between 2:30 and 3:30 :)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got home... It was great meeting you on the river today GG! The gold sure looked good in your sluice :) Thanks for indulging me by helping with the sampling downstream too. I did one more sample further down than we were together and hit a hot spot: 10-12 colors per shovelful. Definite GoldCube territory as its a loooong way to a spot you could run a sluice. The area looks entirely untouched too, no doubt for the same reason :)

Anyway, good times!

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Great afternoon! Especially because right now its 35 and snowing! Crazy weather swings.
So i was set up by about 1, bit late but plenty of daylight. I set my sluice up right 15' up from where i left off last time. Started the rock moving and feeding the the sluice.
As kevin can elude to i hand classify large and flat rocks right off of my shovel and directly dump everything round and 1" smaller into the box.
The gold was not as good as i moved upstream. My first
30 min was the richest material. Time to move! Actually time to get a battery powered setup... Lol!
It was great to get out with a denver legend like Kevin, thanks for all the insight as to what im looking at!
Theres plenty of this gravel to go around!
Lets get a bunch more!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428022290.128156.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428085371.086667.jpg Here's my take, lined up by size. Great time!

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
So today was spent sampling the richest square mile on earth, as it was known in 1860. Actually i was just outside of the old lode nest. With some help from kevin being sure of where to prospect was easy.
I also met and chatted with a couple of guys who said they've never been hassled and found some SERIOUS diggings. These boys have a 10 yard hole dug into the bank, and running their dirt through a highbanker. Its a pretty ok, but sloppy dig. Most of the whole gulch is pot holed and dug up. Obvious diggings, and obviously from highbankers. I asked the local guys about using power equipment and they said that its fine and the river gets pounded. Theres so much ground in this stretch its hard to sample it all, i did about 15 pans in 15 spots. This place has very good potential for dredging. Its only claypacked in the top 5" then cool black, red and yellow layers. The dredge holes i found were ok but only one had more than just one or two yard holes. One hole was probably 4 or 5 yards. This spot had decent gold in my test pan.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428551218.411669.jpg
This is all my test pans, not bad. Pretty fine but some coarser sandier pieces. Definetly worth running 10 yards through the 4" and further sampling a few likelier spots.

In order to further satisfy my gold lust ill be at steele street open space park(big bend) in Denver on the south platte Tomorrow apr 9 from noon to 5ish.
Tomorrow im going hands to pans!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread