Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree2044Likes

Thread: Mytimetoshine

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    2918 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Went out to with Asmbandits today:

We got out to the spot at about 8. Worked some intersting bedrock deposits out of the water. Shallow cracks with seemingly new,light flood material but kicks out chunky stuff!
    I kept trying to get away from the lighter stuff by instinct but that was a mistake. Im betting Bandits got 2-3x what I did.
    It was a great day. 85 degrees. On the gold and nobody else around.

It was great to finally get to dig with somebody and Bandits is a great guy, really laid back and easy to get along with.

Welp, here's the money shots:

The .04 is my Daughters 25% cut for digging not one scoop of dirt and playing with grandma all day. That's how she rolls! And I'm more then happy to accomidate!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1436672980535.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	1186257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1436672993493.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	1186258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1436673004804.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1186259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1436673113267.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	1186260  
    Last edited by mytimetoshine; Jul 11, 2015 at 11:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    1770 times
    I had a awesome time yesterday, it was perfect weather and the gold wasn't great but at least we came home with something! That spot is so hit and miss but it seems like overall I always come home with at least a little. It was nice meeting you and for sure will do it again in the near future, Maybe we can check out one of your spots on our next outing. The highlight for me with the spot we were at yesterday was getting in the water, I love swimming around in that clear cool water its like therapy to me lol..

I managed to get that blackberry stain out of my leather truck seat, man was I worried about that.. It was so hot in the truck that I put the bag on my seat and let the a/c blow on it to keep the berries from getting all mushy, but a big stain was the end result.. Got home and the wife made a killed cobbler! I don't normally pick them this was the first, but on the way out I noticed they looked perfectly ripe so I tried a few and I dont think ive ever had blackberries that good so I picked as many as I could!

I dont know how much more I got than you, doesn't look like a whole lot more, either way not bad for only hand tools and pans.. Im letting it dry now and will post weight soon, but here is a pick of what I have. I need to drag my blue bowl out and run the black sand as I noticed a lot of talcum powder size stuff in there I couldn't separate by hand so into the black sand jar it went.

Good times for sure we will do it again soon!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150712_094121.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	1186474
    mytimetoshine and Aufisher like this.
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    1770 times
    .55 grams for me for the day

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150712_114053.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	1186579
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    2918 times
    Nice! That added up well.
    You know it's funny the gold from that spot is a slightly differnt color then what I've been getting. Maybe my eye is playing tricks on me but looks almost like a slight orange tint too it, And no mercury. I wonder why? There only about an hour away from each other. Different river thouh.The mineralization was Def differnt. I was finding pyrite and other stuff in my pan I don't normally see.
    Nice place not far from the road. Only took 10 minutes to get down. It's pretty steep though. I was huffing and puffing big time on the way up! Lol :beer:
    Asmbandits and Aufisher like this.
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    1770 times
    Yeah its funny you say that, I noticed the color difference a while back when looking at gold from that area compared to other stuff I have. Its the darkest rosiest colored stuff I have for sure, while the gold from my claim is a brilliant white/silvery color, the most noticeable difference out of my lil collection.

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    2918 times
    I made it out to my after work spot. Messed around with some bedrock cracks for 45 min. And then decided to dig random material for the last 45 min. Not a great take but hey it yella!

Turns out my 5 dollar ebay scale doesn't work so good under .1 and not at all under .05.

Looks to be about .03-.05. Pretty pathetic but I have "plans" for this weekend. Hehe..

Name:	1437704142655.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	1191044  

us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4084 times
    Prospecting
    I see NOTHING pathetic in that picture,

PS,,,I went thru the same phase on scales and love my latest one. $26

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh...71A9FF8P9CT2ZK
    Last edited by Jeff95531; Jul 23, 2015 at 11:39 PM.
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    2918 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff95531 View Post
    I see NOTHING pathetic in that picture,

PS,,,I went thru the same phase on scales and love my latest one. $26

Amazon.com: American Weigh Scales GEMINI-20 Portable MilliGram Scale, 20 by 0.001 G: Digital Kitchen Scales: Kitchen & Dining
    Hey that scale looks pretty sweet! Thanks
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4588 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    I made it out to my after work spot. Messed around with some bedrock cracks for 45 min. And then decided to dig random material for the last 45 min. Not a great take but hey it yella!

Turns out my 5 dollar ebay scale doesn't work so good under .1 and not at all under .05.

Looks to be about .03-.05. Pretty pathetic but I have "plans" for this weekend. Hehe..
    Ha! Some friends of mine brought in a picker recently and dropped it on my scale. It did not move the numbers a bit so we put it on a second scale and the same thing. It became known as the "no way picker". The scales are actually fairly accurate.

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    2918 times
    Well, didn't get any prospecting in this weekend in Pine Grove.Had a great time with the family though.

Last weekend I went out early both Sat and Sun. Parked the truck by 7am both days but the hike to the spot is a very difficult 45-130 min depending on how you feel and what your carrying. Again I failed to reach the stretch of the river I want. I got really close but it gets pretty sketchy in the last bit it turns out. Maybe next time ; ) I did come upon a stash of gear. 2 sluice, shovel and several buckets. Probably the way to go but it would suck to lose your gear or need it for another place and not have it. I started digging around where they were digging just to see what they were on but it turned out not very good. They were digging some really light dusty stuff up the bank. Very little color so I went back downstream a little way and noticed a familiar "dark tone" to some of the gravels on the bank around some larger rock. As usual had to get in there with a small pick and collect material with my hands but it was good gold. Tons of fines. I decided to bring the 1/4 classifier and a smaller one #20? Lol o don't even remember what size it is. But together they worked well. Not sure if it's worth the extra time but it probably is... I can pan with large rocks pretty well. But I'm sure u lose some fines.. I noticed that after about 3-6 inches the material would usually turn from gravel to a very silty mud. It kind of acts like clay as good material sits right on top but while it's self had some gold it's not as much and hard to work. Never really been able to get beyond this layer as I don't dive (water always fills the hole after a couple inches). I wonder if there is another pay streak? So I basically pan down to black sand. Work it down to where the riffles are catching everything and then hit the other side of the pan to get a little more off. Then splash water in the pan above a 2 gal bucket and repeat.

Did about 7-10 5gal buckets 3/4 full each day. Left around 12 both days exhausted.. this gold mining is hard work! Sheesh!

I put my new Sawyer mini water filter to the test and it worked flawlessly. So small and light. I brang a 1 little Aquafina bottle and it screws right on top. I took water from the top of a small rapid. Lifted the bottle to the sun and it was crystal clear. Probably would be ok if you had to drink straight but not worth the risk when this thing is less then 20 bucks. Now you cant drink as fast as you want too because you have to squeeze the bottle to get any flow. But it's a game changer. No more hauling water and then having to ration it. I sweat alot and need water to be able to mine. This solves the problem! Thanks again Fowled up.

I ended up with a 2 gal bucket about 5-6 high in black sand peppered with fines. So the final review of the "Laminate flow water table" are in...I'm gonna have to go thumbs down... when using it for my rocker box cons it works great but with these basically INSANE black sands it wasn't perfoming. I would take 1 heaping teaspoon at a time. And it would take forever to get it clean. If you did not constantly move the material with the brush back and forth the stuff would glog up amd not move. I also wasn't positive, but pretty sure I saw gold going over the edge.. it's weird because at the same time I'm easily brushing gold barely visible to the naked eye into the vail. I guess it just depends on the piece shape. I thought I was seeing mostly larger stuff going over... weird but it was even worse then I imagined. So first when you unscrew the vial you can see a lot of gold stuck to the Teflon tape. No biggie came off easy when I dumped the vail in the gold pan full of water. Then I disconnected the pump and removed the table from the plastic tote. When I turned it over the was even more gold stuck to the threads...ok no biggie...dunk that in the pan too. Problem solved right? Wrong.... so I noticed there was a small drip coming of the vial into the tote no mater how I tried to connect the vial. Tight, loose didn't matter. In this tote is a smaller plastic tote (tuperware) that catches most of the black sands. The rest of the tote is just covered in silt. So I decide to snuffer the area under the vail and got a good amount.... then i take a teaspoon of black sands from the catch. And OMG. It had so much gold in it I was shocked!!!! Man these sands are crazy. No wonder these old guys used merc.. so now after hours on the table I have to go through it all again by hand.. FAIL. I was hoping to run this stuff through a rod mill once I get one but it's still way too rich for that. I have to rerun...

I got the finest stuff yet this trip. I love the way there is a smooth graduation in the size of gold collected.

The first 2 pics are Saturdays take and the 3 is sundays. 1.11 grams and probably another .5 in the sands!!!!

Name:	1438578074333.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	1194995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1438578063943.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	1194994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1438578095648.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	1194996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1438578118717.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	1194997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1438578135694.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	1194999  

Last edited by mytimetoshine; Aug 03, 2015 at 12:11 AM.

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
    1282 times
    Prospecting
    On the laminar flow table, you need to classify first. Then you play with water flow and angle. You want smooth water across the table; making it flow through Scotch Brite pads (scrubbies) will do that for you. You want just enough smooth water to move the black sands. You can adjust the angle also if your set up allows you to do so.

And yes, using a brush to help the black sands stay about 1 grain thick helps. If they pile up, they take longer to move. You can also use the brush to move gold back up the table or to the side, etc. Some folks have had trouble with the brush creating bubbles which you don't want! Work with it till you get it where it works for you on your table.

To dial it in, I sometimes just play with it instead of trying to just get to separating my gold. When I ignore getting it set up right for my classified cons, it just takes me longer overall.

That is also why I sometime save all my +40 material to run at once, so I don't have to readjust it to then run the +60 stuff, etc. Of course, the downside is that I don't get all the gold from a particular outing separated in a timely manner. Worse, it can mean if I don't keep separate plastic tubs (coffee cans, cottage cheese containers, etc.) marked with size AND which outing, I can lose valuable information about how much of each "cut" I got from a particular outing.

I would encourage you to keep at it with the table. In the end, it is well worth it.

May the top of your table be golden!

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    2918 times
    Thanks GPD. I was surprised as it works so well on sluice cons compared to just pure black sand. I'm sure I was putting way to much on a one time but man, it was taking too long! My model has the scotch bright pads already. I did end up turning the pump down a bit once I was sure gold was going over the edge but it didn't make much difference. The piece that wanted to stay, no matter how small stayed while others, even larger flakes just zipped right on down.

At least I didn't loose it back in the river!
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
    1282 times
    Prospecting
    Yeah, very flat flakes can move! Doc on the Gold Hog Washer Mat video showed a sizable flake that made it through about 36" of Washer Mat and was then caught on the Gold Cube (where "tailings" were directly dumped). It was about 1/3 to 1/2 the way down the top mat.

If you are watching the table, then you see those type flakes and can brush them back up towards the top. In fact, because they are big but flat, they do not get on my table with the small typical gold I get from Colorado. That is why classifying is important. (Doc was doing minimal classifying, only to 1/4 or 1/8). The Washer Mat is not working the same as the laminar flow (Miller) table. But still, the illustration helps to make the point that with a table, you need minimum water, minimum angle AND classification.

Some folks have an automatic feeder (Goodyguy, Russau) for their table. That also helps because you can while you are doing something else, so it doesn't take so much "eyes on" attention. I haven't built one yet, but am planning to do so. Many auto feeders seem to drop new material on the table all at one point; I want to have it drop across the top of my Miller table (which is 10" wide), so I'd like to make it drop a thin line across about 7-8 inches of that total 10".

us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4084 times
    Prospecting
    I'd like to offer this up as it fixed all the problems I had with my Miller Table:

Try less drop on the table. Then less flow at the valve if needed. When I get the flow dialed in, I leave the valve alone and turn off the flow by unplugging the battery charger.

You MUST classify down to 20 minimum. Do a tablespoon one at a time. Last thing...make sure what you're losing is really gold. Me being a new guy and all, I thought my equipment was failing me when it was doing exactly what it was supposed to do...dump all non gold bearing material. Hope that helps some.
    Last edited by Jeff95531; Aug 04, 2015 at 01:21 PM.
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

Oct 2014
    Hatch, New Mexico
    1136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff95531 View Post
    I'd like to offer this up as it fixed all the problems I had with my Miller Table:

Try less drop on the table. Then less flow at the valve if needed. When I get the flow dialed in, I leave the valve alone and turn off the flow by unplugging the battery charger.

You MUST classify down to 20 minimum. Do a tablespoon one at a time. Last thing...make sure what you're losing is really gold. Me being a new guy and all, I thought my equipment was failing me when it was doing exactly what it was supposed to do...dump all non gold bearing material. Hope that helps some.
    I'm not much off of newb status myself... But I believe you are mostly wrong... I've been wrong a lot, and I've proved myself wrong a lot.

Physical gold recovery relies on 2 main things... Weight and density.. There is also the "hydraulic equivalency" thing which makes it all even worse... The gold hog man has a few
    fairly long videos on "hydraulic equivalency"... But for now lets just think about weight and density.

But first "mesh" size... Absolutely re-tarded(mentally challenged) way to describe what you are actually separating out. Probably fine and dandy if you are talking about seperating
    the 8inch rocks from the 4 inch rocks from the 2 inch rocks, from the 1 inch rocks.... But for gold recovery... Meh... down through a 4. 1/4" that works...
    Nothing spectacular happening down through an 8 and a 16. Start getting smaller and things get really wonky and haywire..

After that, we are really looking at wire size and hole size. A 4 mesh, one fourth of an inch is going to be a bit smaller than a quarter inch... Close enough for government purposes.

An 8 mesh, unless you are using I-beams for your screen, the holes will be a bit smaller than 1/8 of an inch.... I don't believe we have reached the point of significant error.

20 mesh... Is your wire size .005" or .020". Thats the difference between a .030 hole and a .045 hole... 50% size difference, no big deal... Gold is 3 times heavier than black sand,
    it'll seperate out fine... BUT... the weight of a particle is not defined by a linear distance, it is VOLUME, the distance cubed. Do the math.... You can have black sand that
    went through a 20 mesh with .005 wire that is heavier than GOLD that went through a 20 mesh with .020 wire.....

Now we go from Mesh to Mesh to Mesh to Mesh... And if we don't know the actual SIZE of the holes in the mesh... Everything can fall apart and we are tossing gold down the
    drain... Get down into the smaller size, big mesh #'s and things compound... 400 mesh, is the wire .0015 or .0005? Thats a .001 hole or a .002 hole... Volume wise, and weight
    wise, an 8X difference.. That's HUGE, and something we need to know about... Why I think "mesh" size is an outdated POS measuring system that we really shouldn't think
    about when we are trying to recover gold (mechanically).

Back to your miller table, and classifying to -20... You might grab some smaller stuff here and there, but in general.. You are going to lose stuff -30 and especially
    -40 and smaller. Even if the larger black sands or even blondes doesn't knock your smaller gold out... The water flow will. If the water can move a 20 mesh piece
    of black sand, it will move a 60 or 50 mesh piece of gold, and you will never even know it was there. And here I am talking mesh... Should be talking size, but
    I think you get my drift.

Gold recovery is easy... If you pay attention to weight and density. Once you seperate everything by size, which you have to do for a miller table, or blue bowl, or spiral wheel,
    its so easy to pan, there is no point in buying the toy.

The golden rule "If everything in your pan is the same size, Gold Rules"... From the gold cube man... And he's not kidding... No joke, it works.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links