OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out today but not to get gold to fill my vial. I worked the "Get Gold Fever Day" sponsored by Jefferson County Open Space Parks up in Clear Creek Canyon. We ran a dredge (suck it CA, we have local govt asking us to please come out with our dredges!), a gold cube with trommel and several different sluices to demonstrate equipment and good mining practices...and let folks use all the gear. We also had panning stations set up for the newbies with salted creek gravel for a guaranteed smile!

We were above 6000 feet elevation and faced a very frozen creek but we found fine gold everywhere we dug :-)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449461182.665447.jpg ...me with the senior ranger. She was so excited to work with us, love it!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449461231.383479.jpg ...feeding the trommel/Cube, look at all that ice :)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449461276.967573.jpg ...a broader shot before we got set up.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome Kevin good stuff spread the truth and all that knowledge to these kids and parents that's a really cool event to be a part of for sure! Next year my daughter will be in 3rd grade and get to go on a overnight field trip to gold country and I'm thinking I'm more excited about it than she is, I can't wait to hopefully help out and possibly teach them a thing or two about gold prospecting and mining. I've often though about asking my childhood boy scout troop I'd they would be interested in doing a trip up to the claim as well, just need to actually do it lol.. Prospecting has turned out to be a really fun way to spend time with my daughter and it amazes me how truly interested she is in everything that goes with it, I'm sure a lot of other kids might have the same reaction to it as well. The more young minds you mold who knows, mabey in a few decades mining could start being looked at from a better angle, possibly opening doors that are currently shut.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks ASM, my hopes exactly :)
...and get on the schedule with that scout pack!!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One more pic from last Sunday: me feeding a Gold Cube and trommel :)
All the gold went to participants so no pics of that. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449699809.761768.jpg

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today would have been nice to get out. But I finished teaching class at 3:00 and have to provide chemistry tutoring tonight at 6:00. Driving up to Centennial after 3 and try to work in the creek and get back by 6 is next to impossible unless I only want to do 10 or 15 minutes in the creek. Sigh.

And more snow coming this weekend.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today would have been nice to get out. But I finished teaching class at 3:00 and have to provide chemistry tutoring tonight at 6:00. Driving up to Centennial after 3 and try to work in the creek and get back by 6 is next to impossible unless I only want to do 10 or 15 minutes in the creek. Sigh.

And more snow coming this weekend.

Life is hard and then we die :-P

Start making plans for this spring Dave...when the days start to get longer I'm going to be on you to get out together!!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Life is hard and then we die :-P

Start making plans for this spring Dave...when the days start to get longer I'm going to be on you to get out together!!

Well, if we get a mild Christmas break, maybe we can get out then. This is the last week of classes; finals next week; and when I finish grading them and turn in grades, I am then out for about 2 weeks. We'll see.

But for Spring, there will be some Fridays I will be free (at least it looks that way now).

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out for an hour today. Tried a new spot...built a dam, ran some dirt, found some gold :) Not a hot spot but fun anyway. 0.08 grams ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450883966.194743.jpg gold posing with a 1/10 oz gold coin about the size of a dime :)

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you got out we've had crappy weather I think Jeff sent it our way LOL! For an hour you did good! Glad you had a good time with your outing looked like a blast.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At least you got out we've had crappy weather I think Jeff sent it our way LOL! For an hour you did good! Glad you had a good time with your outing looked like a blast.

Sorry about your weather, it sure happens out that way! I had a great time, tossing rocks in the creek is great fun :-D

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics Kevin. I am not sure but my Dad who lives in Blackhawk is in a group or 2 not sure if its yours or not. Id love to come back home and get out on the rivers and creeks.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great pics Kevin. I am not sure but my Dad who lives in Blackhawk is in a group or 2 not sure if its yours or not. Id love to come back home and get out on the rivers and creeks.

Send me a private message with his name. I'm a member of Gold Prospectors of the Rockies and close to folks in Colorado Gold Camp and Foothills Prospectors (GPAA).

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out digging today. New year, new gold!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451886960.842117.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451886974.808668.jpg -50/30to 50/+30
0.34 grams in total. Pretty darn good!

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out digging today. New year, new gold!! View attachment 1255926

View attachment 1255927 -50/30to 50/+30
0.34 grams in total. Pretty darn good!

Looks like you broke some ice! The gold, as usual is very nice, with a fair proportion +30 mesh. Even if you don't get out every day like 3xflyfisher calculated, just 2 times a week is well over 1 troy oz for the coming year. With retirement coming, you just might make that frequency...or more.

Well, our outing on Wednesday will be your 2nd day out this week, so I am helping you stay on a two-fer schedule. :)

I cannot wait to see what the day's diggings produces.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm pretty sure I can keep up twice a week at least for a while ...at least until skiing gets in the way! Now, if only every time produced as well as yesterday :)

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
nice pick up K in C ...it would be great to get that much each trip .30 was my best last year/ever but most of it was pickers so hopefully there is more at that spot as i only dug a 2' x 4' long trench at the start of a gravel bar..gonna follow the crevice across the creek
heavy pans

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out again today with GoldpannerDave. Had a great time together, so good we forgot to take pics! :-(

Here's my gold...not quite .3 grams (edit: weight is 0.08 grams) so I better get back out there!!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452134846.090460.jpg +30 on top, -50 on bottom...and all the birdshot this spot often produces.

Thanks for the great time Dave!!!

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking gold, Kevin, as usual. It was great to be out with you, other than my one complaint below (which was not your fault).

Well, I froze my feet today with maybe 3 1/2 hours on the creek. It seemed like it was all snow melt and there was some layered iced a bit downstream, so it was COLD. The day was upper 40's, so it was only my feet that got frozen. KevinInColorado and I ran our 30" Bazooka Snipers and got some gold; year's first for me and 2nd or 3rd for him. Snow is due tonight and for several days, so I won't be able to get back out for a week; maybe more. No pictures yet for me; my wife has a maid come in once a month since her cancer bout and today was the day so the kitchen is spotless. No way she is going to let me pan in her sink this evening! Maybe tomorrow. :)

But a rough panning on the creek showed my take looks a lot like Kevin's, though maybe not quite as much (I am older and slower than he is). :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions