Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere - Page 11
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree2581Likes

Thread: Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10579 times
    Prospecting

Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

I almost forgot...I shot some pics today. First a picture of the dam where I've been working (with the center already removed for reuse on the new dam) and the new one upstream. I am slowly working my way upstream, digging ALL the creekbed material - the new dam is my fourth in sequence at this site. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447050446.989227.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	477.4 KB 
ID:	1233354The second shot is a deer (?) skull I found on my hike into the creek. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447050469.321562.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	386.4 KB 
ID:	1233355Third is the finished new dam with my Prospector in place and lookin' ready to rumble!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447050487.626444.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	472.4 KB 
ID:	1233356

The dirt I dug today was from under the now "old" dam...I'm not leaving that pay dirt behind! The last pic shows the cons from today. Yes that is gold you see peeking out of the black sands...as Lanny would say "sassy gold" :-)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447050503.487029.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	520.9 KB 
ID:	1233357
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Nov 09, 2015 at 12:48 AM.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10579 times
    Prospecting
    And I finally got the gold cleaned up. It was definitely worth digging under my old dam!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447351021.905039.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	1234702
    3/4 gram in about an hour

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
    1285 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    And I finally got the gold cleaned up. It was definitely worth digging under my old dam!Click image for larger version. 

Nice work for about 45 minutes. That is as good as digging the old Fairplay dam (unprocessed material) in the old days (well, 30 years ago) or about 5 grams in a day. Way to go!!

How was your mixture of large vs small gold? (Usually to divide it out and know about what proportions you get of each). Just wondering how this lot was....

us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4092 times
    Prospecting

DAMM! LOOK AT THAT! Big stuff too! Well Done sir!

What cha do Keep hitting the button till it read what you wanted? JK
    KevinInColorado likes this.
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

gold miner antique collector

Sep 2013
    e.rochester nh.
    whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
    1404 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice one Kevin! That's a sweet pile o' gold! Hey did you get any snow out your way?
    Some times skill has nothing to do with it!

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10579 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldpannerDave View Post
    Nice work for about 45 minutes. That is as good as digging the old Fairplay dam (unprocessed material) in the old days (well, 30 years ago) or about 5 grams in a day. Way to go!!

How was your mixture of large vs small gold? (Usually to divide it out and know about what proportions you get of each). Just wondering how this lot was....
    The average size was bigger than typical, a lot of 20-50 range gold but some all the way down to -90 too. Only a couple +20 which surprised me although as you know, those bigger flakes pop up in unexpected spots!

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10579 times
    Prospecting

Went out again today. Hiking thru the snow, seeing animal tracks

The water level was up quite a bit and the water was opaque with turbidity from all the snow runoff. It sure makes running the Bazooka Prospector easy!

I extended the hole I dug last time under the old dam but only got 0.11g in 10 - 3/4 full buckets. Ok but not great like last time.

I was tired of wrangling buckets so I cleaned out and then just shoveled directly into the sluice from the new area just upstream of the sluice. I got 0.14 grams in just a little while so I guess that's going to pay off

Good fun but no pics sorry.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10579 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by nh.nugget View Post
    Nice one Kevin! That's a sweet pile o' gold! Hey did you get any snow out your way?
    Yes about 4-6 inches in the city...easily twice that up in ski country :-D

I love snow in the city since it soon melts off and jacks up the flow in my fav little creeks.
    nh.nugget and GoldpannerDave like this.

gold miner antique collector

Sep 2013
    e.rochester nh.
    whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
    1404 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Do you get snowed and froze out like us up here in NH.
    Some times skill has nothing to do with it!

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10579 times
    Prospecting

Quote Originally Posted by nh.nugget View Post
    Do you get snowed and froze out like us up here in NH.
    No not really. There's a point each winter where I have to break the ice on the creek but the creeks and rivers in town flow all year. Very lucky here!

PS I got out again today and sadly confirmed that I've cleaned out the entire hot spot I've been digging. Time to find another!!

PPS I did still get gold:0.21grams in two hours is OK of course but definitely not honey hole level gold Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447511608.096802.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	341.8 KB 
ID:	1235259the dime was in my cons as well
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Nov 14, 2015 at 08:33 AM.

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
    1285 times
    Prospecting
    Still not bad since most of us did not get out today. I managed to do some clean up and found a little more gold in some cons. But I can do cons most any time; getting out on the creek is just great.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10579 times
    Prospecting

Indeed. I've been plenty of places where I got 1/10 gram per day so I'm ok with 1/10 gram an hour!
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Nov 14, 2015 at 08:45 PM.
    mytimetoshine likes this.

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1285 times
    Prospecting
    Indeed. I've been plenty of placed where I got 1/10 gram per day so I'm ok with 1/10 gram an hour!
    Isn't that the truth!!

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    591 times
    Prospecting
    So what is your method of moving up that creek? Do you run material from downstream of the bazooka or do you move everything from upstream down into your old hole?

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10579 times
    Prospecting

Quote Originally Posted by OwenT View Post
    So what is your method of moving up that creek? Do you run material from downstream of the bazooka or do you move everything from upstream down into your old hole?
    0. Wander the creeks near home sample panning areas I know I'm allowed to dig (this includes almost all the creeks on my end of town!) until I find encouraging gold
    1. Build a dam to create a drop for the sluice
    2. Dig the material just upstream of the dam, shoveling directly into the sluice
    3. After about 8 feet of stream are dug down to the clay (from shore to shore!), move the dam another 8 feet upstream by just tossing the rocks
    4. Finish the dam, set up the sluice and do it again. The tailings from the second dam fill in the hole from the first dam to the extent the stream hasn't already done it for me.

In the last few years I've found a couple real hot spots which I could then settle in and DIG, building multiple dams in sequence over the course of up to a year. This current spot that may now be played out (??) has been my personal secret & favorite for the last year. I have been lots of other spots over the year (read back thru this journal for details) but have kept coming back to that hot spot. I've pulled out about 1/3 ounce from this current hot spot while digging an hour or two at a time over the course of months :-D

If the first dam was sitting on paydirt, I do dig that after the dam is removed and haul it up to the new dam in buckets. This is a little bit guesswork as the creek tends to partially fill my holes quicker than I'd wish via streambed movement in storms. This means it's tough to know which material is virgin and which is just new material freshly migrated downstream without the benefits of hundreds (thousands?) of years of concentration. In a big storm these little suburban creeks go from 6 inches deep to 6 feet or more so the stream bed can get picked right up and moved in many areas. I've seen one storm build a 1-2 foot tall sand/gravel bar and also move boulders bigger than bowling balls! I bet most people living near these creeks have NO idea what these creeks are capable of doing!
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Nov 14, 2015 at 11:57 PM.

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links