OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Panning in the sink...oh heck no! I pan from a 10" finish pan into a Garrett SuperSluice pan or into a small plastic tub. Keep that dirt away from the sink and drain lines or you'll have an accident and lose gold or plug drains or both. :(

Not literally into the sink, but with a tub and safety pan also. She doesn't want gold panning stuff near her clean kitchen though, whether I use a tub or not! :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not literally into the sink, but with a tub and safety pan also. She doesn't want gold panning stuff near her clean kitchen though, whether I use a tub or not! :)

...and you married this woman? (Jk!)

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panning in the sink...oh heck no! I pan from a 10" finish pan into a Garrett SuperSluice pan or into a small plastic tub. Keep that dirt away from the sink and drain lines or you'll have an accident and lose gold or plug drains or both. :(

I have a tub for panning but since I've been messing around with the rod mill I've been using the sink. It's too damn dark and cold to do anything outside after work.

I try to keep it to a minimum but some very fine stuff collects around the drain.... haha its just a matter of time. But hey its an apt rental. I'll just call maintenance and claim no knowledge of how 5 pounds of iron sand got stuck in the line?? :what:

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a tub for panning but since I've been messing around with the rod mill I've been using the sink. It's too damn dark and cold to do anything outside after work.

I try to keep it to a minimum but some very fine stuff collects around the drain.... haha its just a matter of time. But hey its an apt rental. I'll just call maintenance and claim no knowledge of how 5 pounds of iron sand got stuck in the line?? :what:

Perfect lol!!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...and you married this woman? (Jk!)

Yes, she has other fine qualities that offset her complete lack of interest in gold panning, sluicing, prospecting, etc. That lack of interest on a scale of 1-10 is about minus 5. :(

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now THERE'S some money to be made! Isolate that gene in her system that makes her immune from gold fever and SELL IT!

Such madness. No way!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately, we may lose a few frogs in the process...

prof frog.jpg

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Got out again today with GoldpannerDave. Had a great time together, so good we forgot to take pics! :-(

Here's my gold...not quite .3 grams (edit: weight is 0.08 grams) so I better get back out there!!
View attachment 1257065 +30 on top, -50 on bottom...and all the birdshot this spot often produces.

Thanks for the great time Dave!!!

Size sort the shot with your screens and sell it to re-loaders.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Size sort the shot with your screens and sell it to re-loaders.

Only problem with that is reclaimed shot only goes for about $1.25 lb so would not be economically viable unless you can sell local. Even then you would really need a large stockpile to make the local transaction worthwhile...but I do love to reclaim and reuse. I am actually saving most everything I find in hopes of either selling it or reporpusinng it or both. ;)

The way I look at it, if I took the time and effort to bring it home, I'm going to try to do something positive with it.

Last edited:

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
any lead i find goes to my stockpile for sinker making....i haven't had to buy any fishing sinkers for 30 years and have enough lead to supply the next generation for a few years....i usually set aside 1 day per year for sinker
moulding ..i did sell them at one stage at local markets

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm now you got me thinking... melting and molding the metal into something of more value...

Gringo Viejo

Oct 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Fort Collins. Any advice on where to prospect gold in my part of the state.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in Fort Collins. Any advice on where to prospect gold in my part of the state.

Quick answer: there isn't any as you are outside the Colorado Mineral Belt. You need to drive south to Boulder County or metro Denver to get to gold bearing streams.

I provide links to a number of publicly accessible spots on my blog at www.findinggoldincolorado.wordpress.com. ...go check that out.

Longer answer: there are tiny amounts of gold in the Poudre River in the areas where it levels out as it exits the foothills and apparently in LaPorte but I don't have any direct experience and have heard the amounts are tiny. This might for a frustrating experience for the newbie (you?) whereas you WILL find gold at the sites I provide links to in my blog :-D

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread