Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quick answer: there isn't any as you are outside the Colorado Mineral Belt. You need to drive south to Boulder County or metro Denver to get to gold bearing streams.

I provide links to a number of publicly accessible spots on my blog at www.findinggoldincolorado.wordpress.com. ...go check that out.

Longer answer: there are tiny amounts of gold in the Poudre River in the areas where it levels out as it exits the foothills and apparently in LaPorte but I don't have any direct experience and have heard the amounts are tiny. This might for a frustrating experience for the newbie (you?) whereas you WILL find gold at the sites I provide links to in my blog :-D

Great blog!
Great information as always. Going to be in parker this spring for a week or so to help some friends do some remodeling. I am going to try and spend at least 3 days prospecting while out that way. This helps greatly in narrowing down areas to hit.
Thanks again from all us newbies out there for the great info you are always willing to share

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Utah Mason, reach out when you know the schedule of when you're in town. I'll take you to one of my secret honey holes fairly near Parker! (Assuming I'm in town of course...)

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, GPOC has an online forum also; you might add that to your blog notes.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, GPOC has an online forum also; you might add that to your blog notes.

Will do, thanks! Feel free to add your comments on the blog entries too!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More gold :) Sluiced on Jan 10th in the sunshine... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452667073.093487.jpg
Resulting in 0.29 grams in exactly an hour...about the same as flipping burgers but in a place I love to be! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452667129.062996.jpg

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Kevin! You're getting more efficient - that's a lot of gold in an hour (relative to your past results). Hot spot? - Brian

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow Kevin! You're getting more efficient - that's a lot of gold in an hour (relative to your past results). Hot spot? - Brian

Thanks Brian, let's call it a semi-hot spot at least :)

Come visit and I will take you there!

PS I checked and I don't have any good tips on Lake City, sorry.

Check my blog (see link a few posts up) for some good public (unclaimable) spots.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went back to the semi-hot spot today. Just under an hour to finish the little chunk of creek by my current dam. 0.22 grams, so just over 1/2 gram in two short visits...I'm a lucky guy! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452740664.550298.jpg

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...just over 1/2 gram in two short visits...I'm a lucky guy! View attachment 1259933

Yessir, you are a lucky man. But that gold production isn't luck; it's a result of hard work and many years of experience. You're lucky because twice this week - in January (a hit and miss month most places in the country) - you're out there using that knowledge and hard work to get the gold! - Brian

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heading up to Grant Frontier Park and then Arapahoe Bar today to teach 55 middle schoolers about the gold rush history of Colorado...and how to pan of course. Should be a fun day and I'm sure I'll get a chance to collect a little for myself too ;)

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Man that's some beautiful! I'm going to get out this weekend. Hopefully this above freezing temps don't swell the streams. They are nice and low! And hopefully stay that way for a bit!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not literally into the sink, but with a tub and safety pan also. She doesn't want gold panning stuff near her clean kitchen though, whether I use a tub or not! :)

Ok, here is the gold I got. 100_3787.JPG

I had every bit of black sand panned away from the gold and then the pan needed more light, so I moved it and now there is a speckling of black sand. Did not have time to redo, so here it is. I actually panned it a few days ago but could not find the camera to take a picture. Still, if you click to enlarge, it's not bad. Not as much as Kevin, but I did not expect it to be so.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have to say there gold fever. Then there Kevins gold fever. Which is levels above most everyone else.He has a way of finding the gold. Thats for sure. When he retires theres going to be a lot of streams changing course. And I hope he gets one running toward New Hampshire.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is that a bit of merc lower left? I'm itching bad to get out again with all these pics.

Yes, I think so. It panned like gold, but the color is obviously silver. There are about 3-4 particles like that on the lower left. I haven't seen mercury with gold from that creek source before, but you never know.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, I think so. It panned like gold, but the color is obviously silver. There are about 3-4 particles like that on the lower left. I haven't seen mercury with gold from that creek source before, but you never know.

I haven't either. Could it be contamination from your finish processing gear (I've certainly run into that before)??

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
a few shots from my day with the kids today...shot 2 and 3 show the river (creek really) where we taught panning
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452844453.904907.jpg the South Platte, this spot was home of the first US settlement in what's now Denver.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452844477.404927.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452844501.424039.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452844523.042733.jpg history at the panning spot too. Signage courtesy of Mike Pung btw.

Last edited:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, here is the gold I got. View attachment 1260109

I had every bit of black sand panned away from the gold and then the pan needed more light, so I moved it and now there is a speckling of black sand. Did not have time to redo, so here it is. I actually panned it a few days ago but could not find the camera to take a picture. Still, if you click to enlarge, it's not bad. Not as much as Kevin, but I did not expect it to be so.

LOL. There's clean, cleaner and then Kevin Klean! Not there yet either but keep trying. :laughing7:

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Hey Kevin how did your group do a Arapahoe bar? I'm going there this weekend i think. Did you guys find the BLACK pay layer? Its spotty, but I ran into a black layer about 12-18" down of super round and black gravels that are LOADED! The last 2 trips I haven't hit the layer. Below it is grey and blonde sand. This pic doesn't show the black because my spot must have been dug before, but the change to grey\blonde sand is Dramatic! Too mad the grey \blonde doesn't have much gold.

Attachments

• 1452873282039.jpg
    1452873282039.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 78

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread