OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out on Sunday for a couple hours. Built a new dam just upstream of my last. Nice since I could just toss rocks 8 feet up stream and my new tails fill my prior hole. Anyway, here's the money shot: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453266336.834561.jpg +30 in middle, -50 on top, 30-50 on bottom :)
0.13 grams which puts me at 10 outings (some of which were just sampling or teaching kids) and 1.36 grams since the last club meeting. Wonder if I'll have the most gold at the display table tomorrow night?

Last edited:

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Bazooka Gold Trap 36" Sniper
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking pile! I wish my clean outs looked a tenth as good!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking pile! I wish my clean outs looked a tenth as good!

Well, even the best in TX would be at a disadvantage in that comparison. Come to CO and we shall see!!

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, even the best in TX would be at a disadvantage in that comparison. Come to CO and we shall see!!

Oh, I most definitely will! I'm trying to get everything together, so I can make it out that direction later this spring!

Looking forward to actually prospecting somewhere other than my stomping ground.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out on Sunday for a couple hours. Built a new dam just upstream of my last. Nice since I could just toss rocks 8 feet up stream and my new tails fill my prior hole. Anyway, here's the money shot: View attachment 1262664 +30 in middle, -50 on top, 30-50 on bottom :)
0.13 grams which puts me at 10 outings (some of which were just sampling or teaching kids) and 1.36 grams since the last club meeting. Wonder if I'll have the most gold at the display table tomorrow night?

Your cleanouts are inspiring my man! Your system of moving up stream and filling your own previous hole as you work is awesome. Which trap did you use, the Prospector? I would pay to watch every step you take in the process. Your results are just beautiful.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks PurpleGold, very kind of you to say!!

I've been using the Bazooka Prospector during Winter because I have enough stream flow. In summer and fall I usually have to use my Sniper because of lower stream flows.

Last edited:

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have yet to gain zooka experience but one thing has been perplexing me. I've noticed you mentioning the different sizes of Bazookas and using them based on water flow. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it possible to use the smaller bazookas in any flow of water depending on how it is setup in the stream? What is the advantage of using a Miner or Prospector zooka when you are limited to a minimum water flow or need a certain amount of water to move the material efficiently? From what I've read you can feed a Sniper BGT as fast as you can and it handles the material just fine. Is it the size of the actual trap or fluid bed that you prefer on the larger BGT's or can you actually run material faster? I'm curious what exactly is the benefit to upping in size and using a prospector or miner over a sniper in your opinion.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was first thinking about getting the super mini at first but ended up getting the prospector simply because of the ability to run more material faster. I don't think you could shovel as much into sniper as quickly due its width. Also if you're having go haul your material in buckets to your sluice, I though it would be hard to dump into sniper. I will definitely be buying a sniper or super mini this spring for having something a little lighter when I'm hiking more then a few miles and just wanting to sample before bringing in bigger bgt. I think each one has different advantages and disadvantages over the others. Right tool for right job.

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was first thinking about getting the super mini at first but ended up getting the prospector simply because of the ability to run more material faster. I don't think you could shovel as much into sniper as quickly due its width. Also if you're having go haul your material in buckets to your sluice, I though it would be hard to dump into sniper. I will definitely be buying a sniper or super mini this spring for having something a little lighter when I'm hiking more then a few miles and just wanting to sample before bringing in bigger bgt. I think each one has different advantages and disadvantages over the others. Right tool for right job.

I cant say anything for the difference in shovel speed between the prospector and the sniper, as I have never used a prospector, and only have my 36" Snipers to go by.

What I can say is, with my kids hauling buckets to me, and me sitting there shoveling using a garden spade, I could not keep up with the sniper. I have since started using an entrenching tool instead of the garden spade, and still run into this. I cannot shovel fast enough. Then again, being disabled, I'm not working like a madman.

I'm betting if you were using a standard sized shovel, you could max out the flow on the sniper, but that is too much work, and my kids cannot keep the "bucket line" going fast enough for me to actually be able to go that way.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
JS has it right. When I'm using a #2 shovel, standing right up stream of my sluice, I can over shovel a sniper. So, when I can I use the prospector.

I got out for an hour or so at lunch today and snapped a couple pics. The first shows the current dam and upstream you can see the next dam forming. As I uncover rocks while digging, I toss them upstream. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453499360.539671.jpg
The next pic is from a bit downstream. On the right bank you can see remnants of prior dams. I do plan to knock those down to reduce my visual impact on the creek. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453499584.025556.jpg

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
JS has it right. When I'm using a #2 shovel, standing right up stream of my sluice, I can over shovel a sniper. So, when I can I use the prospector.

I got out for an hour or so at lunch today and snapped a couple pics. The first shows the current dam and upstream you can see the next dam forming. As I uncover rocks while digging, I toss them upstream. View attachment 1263555
The next pic is from a bit downstream. On the right bank you can see remnants of prior dams. I do plan to knock those down to reduce my visual impact on the creek. View attachment 1263556
looks like your system is working well ..im doing something similar only using the bedrock bars as my dams... heavy pans K in C

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold from Friday 0.16 grams of gold and a little lead too ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453696232.750532.jpg
+30 mesh/30-50/-50 as usual.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like how clean and classified your gold ends up. I now strive for this level of efficiency. You seriously are inspirational man. I'm going to start a journal soon. :notworthy:

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like how clean and classified your gold ends up. I now strive for this level of efficiency. You seriously are inspirational man. I'm going to start a journal soon. :notworthy:

Thanks PG...I very much look forward to reading your journal! ...and meeting up to dig together too!! PM me if you want to set a time :)

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Kevin! Your like a Beaver with all them dams and ponds. Lol that creek looks sweet!

And how does your .15 always look like .5? Must be 200 pieces of gold right there.

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Kevin! Your like a Beaver with all them dams and ponds. Lol that creek looks sweet!

And how does your .15 always look like .5? Must be 200 pieces of gold right there.
my thoughts exactly...K in C when was the last time you checked the calibration on your scales ... they could be misreading!!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my thoughts exactly...K in C when was the last time you checked the calibration on your scales ... they could be misreading!!

Nice of you to say!

My scale came with a 10 gram test weight which I do use regularly to check the scale :) I think it's my exemplary photography skills making the gold look bigger ;)

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice of you to say!

My scale came with a 10 gram test weight which I do use regularly to check the scale :) I think it's my exemplary photography skills making the gold look bigger ;)

What kind of camera are you using? This man could be deadly with a microscope lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread