Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An 1886 cabin!? Get a metal detector out there! Then go into the cabin and look out the window and look for the biggest oldest tree in plain sight, then use your detector at the base of it and find the jar of gold dust that some old miner hid there. The theory is they would bury valuables in a place where they could always keep an eye on it, somewhere directly in site. Also if there is a brick fireplace check for loose bricks and the treasure behind them!

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I hope to be lucky enough to have a little piece of land with some gold on it! Looks like really pretty land there, Im totally jealous!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An 1886 cabin!? Get a metal detector out there! Then go into the cabin and look out the window and look for the biggest oldest tree in plain sight, then use your detector at the base of it and find the jar of gold dust that some old miner hid there. The theory is they would bury valuables in a place where they could always keep an eye on it, somewhere directly in site. Also if there is a brick fireplace check for loose bricks and the treasure behind them!

Excellent ideas, I will pass them on to Red if he gets it!

Edit: looks like he has a deal made to buy it and he loves your ideas!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out today to a spot Red wanted to show me on the South Platte. About 6 colors per shovelful on a consistent basis. A reasonable walk from free parking too :)
At the dig site:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467876133.529602.jpg
Red resting in the shade after digging (hey, where's the beer?):
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467876164.829336.jpg

Last edited:

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today to a spot Red wanted to show me on the South Platte. About 6 colors per shovelful on a consistent basis. A reasonable walk from free parking too :)

Nice looking gravel bar there :icon_thumright:. My own little personal rule of thumb for the platte is if I'm not getting 4 or more colors per pan then carry on to the next gravel bar.

Excellent ideas, I will pass them on to Red if he gets it!

Edit: looks like he has a deal made to buy it and he loves your ideas!

Nice! Super lucky guy, that would be awesome to own! I would love to poke around it for the hidden stash...

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was 12 colors per pan in fact since a 14" pan will hold 2 shovelfuls :)

The only downside of that spot is you need an electric highbanker to really hit it. No gas allowed in the Openspace Parks in Adams County and as you may see in the pic, nowhere to setup a sluice :(

Good thing I have an electric highbanker for when I go back. (Mine is custom piped using a Sniper, Red uses a Gold Cube of course since he invented it!!)

PS I do plan to reveal the location since Red said it was ok. He's big on encouraging access for casual prospectors.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out again today at good ole Arapahoe Bar. I as driving from Fort Collins to Silverthorne and its on the way. I just couldn't resist stopping to see how much the spring melt off had faded and what was accessible. There's definitely paydirt worth accessing now as the river has started to subside. Sadly my fav spot was buried in overburden by the spring floods. I tried digging down but couldn't get deep enough in the time I had before dusk. So. Got a few colors but not much.
Bazooka Prospector selfie :)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467956437.820261.jpg
Buckets? I don't need no buckets!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467956485.583956.jpg
Oh and I filled in a couple holes other people made on the south bank (where digging is forbidden since there's a recreational path up there):
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467956565.443572.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467956584.578457.jpg
This tics (ticks?) me off since it could lead to the parks dept deciding to kick us out :(

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was 12 colors per pan in fact since a 14" pan will hold 2 shovelfuls :)

The only downside of that spot is you need an electric highbanker to really hit it. No gas allowed in the Openspace Parks in Adams County and as you may see in the pic, nowhere to setup a sluice :(

Good thing I have an electric highbanker for when I go back. (Mine is custom piped using a Sniper, Red uses a Gold Cube of course since he invented it!!)

PS I do plan to reveal the location since Red said it was ok. He's big on encouraging access for casual prospectors.

If you guys want some additional public South Platte locations I can give a good solid 6 or so just south of Chatfield Reservoir, near the Carson Nature Center. I've been spoiled by the small streams of metro Denver. But there's plenty to go around at the Platte :icon_thumright:

Also, nice work on the reconstruction of the habitat. As a prospector its more important than some might think. Kevin you are the man!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For those of you in Denver, I just posted a write up on Dudley's Bar, a real hot spot in north metro Denver. I was there today sampling around and taking pics. This one is worth visiting if you have an electric highbanker as the gold is good!
www.findingGOLDinColorado.com will get you there...

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out again today to check a spot I want to show shofs tomorrow. Got amazing gold so I found myself with gold fever and dug a big hole as the sun set.
Here's 1/3 of the gold:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468116680.673908.jpg
Note a little picker on the far right and all the lead shot.

Next the prospector and his Bazooka Sniper :)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468116715.240094.jpg

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a lot of lead for the creek! You certainly found the heavies. Looking forward to the meet up tomorrow :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
David and I went on a digging binge today. We met at straw bar to dig our shared spot and then each guided the other to another favorite spot. It's been years since I dug 3 spots in one day and never where all three were as rich as this!

First I took him to the spot I scoped out yesterday which we are now calling crayfish creek. Awesome gold and lots of lead birdshot. Then he took me to a high bar deposit on the S Platte River. It produces 15-20 colors per pan and had places to set up a sluice. All small colors but easy digging and plentiful gold!!

Sorry, no gold pics yet since I'm running all over but here's some scenery:
South Platte ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468209492.198650.jpg
Crawfish Creek ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468210821.072626.jpg
...with side by side Bazooka Snipers.
The park we dug at:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468209616.355635.jpg (sorry so blurry, it's the Rachel Carson Nature Center on the South Platte River)
Note: the actual S Platte river bank is covered in rip rap as you can see in that pic so we don't dig there. We dig here:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468209565.300025.jpg
Which is a dozen, almost flat, steps from the sluices. The dirt was so dry (the gold is best in the top layer) you could run a dry washer here!

Last edited:

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an old picture I took of the larger bend directly across from the spot we went to on the platte the other day. Here the Platte was in high water season and you can see how the water forks out into a few different smaller streams, and notice the very similar gravel bar I was testing. Gold gold there and right across the river. With easy trail access.

southplatte.jpg

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I want to see some gold picks you haven't posted any in little while!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also I want to see some gold picks you haven't posted any in little while!

Sorry so slow on the gold pics. I loaned my car to my son and left the concentrates in it (!) so I won't be able to pan it out until this weekend. I'm eager to see myself!!

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if you got more lead or gold, you should measure and see! That crawfish creek had so much birdshot I've never seen anything like it.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You DO know that some of us live vicariously through you, right?
Show me the gold! Please. :laughing9:
What a nice thing to say! I will get it panned out as quick as I can, AND pics posted here, I promise!! I think I can also promise a nice lil pile of gold this time :)
I wonder if you got more lead or gold, you should measure and see! That crawfish creek had so much birdshot I've never seen anything like it.

Way more lead, of that I am sure!

Meanwhile for some gold pics, check out my latest blog post which is loaded with pics from the permanent mineral collection at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread