Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree2563Likes

Thread: Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2013
    Northern Mn
    Gold Bug Pro, Blue Bowl Sluices: 36" Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper, Angus McKirk Recon
    31 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Big Bend results from May 15

Well I finally got some time to clean up my concentrates from my trip at Big Bend. I got a total of just over a grain which was a little disappointing in itself.

However, I felt that overall I was happy with the results considering that I had never been digging here before, I couldn’t see the bottom, had to deal with the fast water, and had a hard time just keeping the sniper from heading down the river. I also figure that I could have been working in an area that had already been extensively worked over by other TNET members.

On a plus side, I know that even with the fast water and less than ideal conditions, the sniper can catch the small gold. Most of it was – 70 to -100. I did get some +50.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01995.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	1171278

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10535 times
    Prospecting
    Love seeing the gold! Big Bend has gold in lots of spots but it is streaky. In many areas the top 6-8 inches pays best and some deeper layers are barren. Harder digging definitely means better gold there too from what I've seen.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10535 times
    Prospecting

Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

Wow, just got back to my hotel in Marlborough MA from a great trip to a gold bearing creek in far NW MA. Almost a two hour drive each way but very worth the drive to get to meet up with David T and dig together. I arrived right on time at 5 pm and there was David's truck but where was he? I know it's his truck because I can see the prospecting book on the front seat! Oh there he is walking across the road toward our vehicles

David had already charmed his way onto private property and found a place for us to dig (and even to park!). Turns out the nice lady's name was Jen and she had been panning once at a tourist site...yes those things DO create allies for us! She went to get her pan and her vial with the flake from the tourist spot after showing us a path down to the creek. We found ourselves on a pretty little brook (creek for us westerners) with a nice bend and the hopeful sign of a cobble bar along the bend. I spent a little time teaching Jen some panning skills while David started digging and classifying some material for his Angus Mackirk to suck down.

After about two gallons of 1/4 classified material we panned out our sample. This is what we found!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433820774.763420.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	457.5 KB 
ID:	1172833the big flake is right in the middle of the pan David is holding. What? You want a close up? Ok: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433820831.581128.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	446.7 KB 
ID:	1172835
    Here's a shot of me and our host Jen
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433820878.786014.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  135.3 KB
    And some of the final cleanout (not including the gold we added to Jen's vial and all the fine stuff - we tossed those cons in a pan for David to process at home). Each of the three of us got a nice big trophy flake and David got some decent cons to work...a perfect result!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433820927.103264.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	351.1 KB 
ID:	1172838
    After a couple hours of creek time, the light was fading so we packed up and headed up to the cars. Beers, stories and a bit of relaxing and then it was time to go back to the real world
    Thanks again David! I got my first MA gold and had a great time in the creek with you!
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Jun 08, 2015 at 11:43 PM.

Nov 2012
    761 times
    So glad you got to get some newengland color!! Maybe this bluebird will hold out and colorado will give some up!
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10535 times
    Prospecting
    Happening now in Villa Rica GA

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434030459.093629.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	613.5 KB 
ID:	1173628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434030576.712758.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	391.7 KB 
ID:	1173632Ducky and me in one of his local spots.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2931 times
    Prospecting
    Ducky will have no excuses now.

I will bet you two had fun and a bonus would be to be on the gold.
    KevinInColorado likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10535 times
    Prospecting

Oh he's a real prospector: found the spot himself and we got some Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434044389.631214.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	560.0 KB 
ID:	1173714
    Here he is in the post hole I dug in the creek bed (the natural water depth is about an inch). You can see his Bazooka Sniper just behind him...which he very kindly let me run for the morning

And here's the video Ducky made:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAy...MGlHP6IZJceORg
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Aug 17, 2015 at 05:04 PM.

us
    Mar 2014
    Lincolnton North Carolina
    30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box. Various Gold Pans
    1303 times
    Prospecting
    It was interesting to hear how different my material is compared to the stuff you usually dig.
    goldenmojo likes this.
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle

"Show me a man who resorts to violence, and I'll show you a man who has run out of good ideas." My Father, Robert Akers

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10535 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckwalk View Post
    It was interesting to hear how different my material is compared to the stuff you usually dig.
    Oh, that's the truth, amazing how different paydirt is from one place to another!

us
    Mar 2014
    1303 times
    Prospecting
    Didnt get a chance to clean up my take yesterday and wont until quite late tonight. If you get a chance go ahead and post your take so i can see what should expect!
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle

"Show me a man who resorts to violence, and I'll show you a man who has run out of good ideas." My Father, Robert Akers

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10535 times
    Prospecting

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434117026.061772.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	352.8 KB 
ID:	1174032
    My share of the take from our "Flour Creek" dig in Villa Rica yesterday. Pretty gold! Thanks again for being a great host Ducky!

PS Ducky, the rest of my day went well too and I got all the way home by about midnight CO time
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Jun 12, 2015 at 09:00 AM.

us
    Mar 2014
    1303 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434117026.061772.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	352.8 KB 
ID:	1174032
    My share of the take from our "Flour Creek" dig in Villa Rica yesterday. Pretty gold! Thanks again for being a great host Ducky!

PS Ducky, the rest of my day went well too and I got all the way home by about midnight CO time
    I dont ever run my cons through mesh because generally speaking its all the same size here. Any idea what mesh # that stuff is? Just Curious.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10535 times
    Prospecting
    All -50 for sure! Your Bazooka sure grabbed the little gold

I didn't classify since it was just the contents of my snuffer bottle but since it's all -50, I think you'd find the panning easier if you drop your cons thru a 50 mesh before panning. The small stuff pans much easier without any bigger stuff in the pan. Of course you'll still have to pan the larger stuff too but that'll be quick since you are only checking for larger flakes.
    Duckwalk, arizau and Jeff95531 like this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2931 times
    Prospecting
    I use 4 or 6" diameter 30, 50, 100 mesh classifiers for concentrate cleanup panning. Each step reduces the size by about half which really advantages gold in panning efforts for fine gold recovery. Blackcat Mining and others have these available in stacking sets.
    Good work guys!
    Last edited by arizau; Jun 12, 2015 at 10:28 AM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Prospector

Apr 2014
    Modesto, CA
    833 times
    Prospecting
    You're one of my favorite guys on here Kevin. Thanks for taking us along on your adventures!
    ps. I'll probably be getting me a bazooka soon! My A52 I had stashed on the river grew legs and walked away I'll definitely be askin you for advice when the time comes.

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links