Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't find those green ones anymore so I just bought a new blue one posted here with the gold from last Thursday:
View attachment 1407006
...they also help with final gold cleaning via ultra-gentle panning in the dish.

It varies by creek of course. In Straw Creek that close ratio is typical regardless of which sluice or pan I use. Of course the gold trends bigger on inside bends [emoji106]

That's my goal :) Get out there!!
Learn (almost) all my secrets at Finding Gold in Colorado ? Historic Sites & Modern Honey Holes

Kevin, have noticed similar ratios on that creek also, so was curious as to your findings. Will check with David and see if he has noticed the same. Thanks for info - will add this to my research.

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Hunt4gold
I moved my response to your blog :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out on Saturday at Arapahoe Bar. I put out an invite on my Facebook group (called Finding Gold in Colorado) and five others showed up. Good times! I spent 2-3 hours getting to know folks and chatting with them and others there that day. I also already knew a couple other people who happened to be there :)

In the course of the day I did get around to digging in 5 different holes so I got a pinch of gold:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488866594.580803.jpg
Here's a shot of some of "us" on site:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488866654.599533.jpg
And
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488866680.068344.jpg
^Hunt4Gold was there, AGoldDigger too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin,
Were you able to keep your streak going for February?

Very observant question Ducky! No, after 67 months in a row of prospecting, I missed February! The streak is over...so far the new streak is at 1 ;)

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear that, Kevin. You had quite a run!
- Brian

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out yesterday at Arapahoe Bar and then today on the upper Colorado River. Such beautiful weather both places! Here's some pics from today...
Here's Curtis and "Dozer":
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489721244.130137.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489721431.604327.jpg
Each item in this pic marks a sample hole. We found the best gold midway up the side of the bar.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489721309.797447.jpg

Gold pic to follow when I get to pannin'

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out yesterday at Arapahoe Bar and then today on the upper Colorado River. Such beautiful weather both places! Here's some pics from today...
Here's Curtis and "Dozer":
View attachment 1427919
View attachment 1427921
Each item in this pic marks a sample hole. We found the best gold midway up the side of the bar.
View attachment 1427920

Gold pic to follow when I get to pannin'
oooo. Looks like a mighty fine day!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out again today...love this weather and getting to do a prospecting binge! The view from my sample panning site at Grant-Frontier Park in central Denver:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489994514.853024.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489994539.611849.jpg
Agolddigger
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489994564.678235.jpg
Huntforgold
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489994587.749986.jpg

80 degrees and sunny btw :D

Found some nice sized flakes late in the day so now I want to go back!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490070872.983811.jpg
The gold from my sample panning at Grant Frontier Park. The big fat flake makes me want to go back asap!!

Last edited:

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Definately warrants at least 1 more visit ... nice gold Kevin

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah, what's the drive time you guys have to get out there?

Looks like fun!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490205979.606622.jpg
More gold pics...this is from a week ago on the upper Colorado River 90 minutes the other direction!

One hour of sluicing after a few sample pans.

Interestingly, I sluices dirt from two different spots for 30 min each and got about the same gold from each hole.
First hole: site of our best sample pan. Had to carry dirt 30 yards over cobbles...moved 6 partial buckets of unclassified in 30 minutes.
Second hole: immediately upstream of sluice. No buckets, just shovel right into sluice so more dirt moved and less risk of back pain or injuries :)

I panned out each 30 minute run separately on site to assess gold production. Goes to show that the best measure of your gold production is per hour not per bucket :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More gold pics!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491277639.125960.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491277659.110946.jpg
First one is from a dig on April 1 in Denver. It was a creek visit while my wife got her hair cut and had sushi with a friend. The weather was 38 degrees with intermittent snow and drizzle...perfect digging weather! I got two hours of creek time so I think I win ;)

Doesn't the gold look pretty in the dusty blue soap dish? Gotta love my high tech finish panning tools ;) Gold separated by size obviously: +30, 30-40, 40-50, -50 ...1/3 gram total.

The Second is the fun one really to me. You may remember a post I did about going dry washing near Joshua tree national Park after Thanksgiving. Panning in the field left me thinking I had been skunked. I finally got around to panning out the heavies from that trip. I used my usual finish panning process and as you can see I didn't get skunked. It's not a lot of gold but hey it's my first California gold!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I got to have a real "and elsewhere" day on Friday. I went digging with Tiago, a local from Lisbon Portugal who came here (tnet) to ask about gold panning a few months ago. I'm in Lisbon now and brought gold pans (duh!) so we rented a car and drove to the beach where the gold was reported. We dug a really deep hole because the geology report said the gold was mostly on bedrock 3-14 feet down through the sand. Sadly we got down 8 feet but didn't hit bedrock. However, we did find one thin layer of pebbles in the sand at about the two foot deep mark. We panned that and found colors so we didn't get skunked! Tiago will tell more about the gold I'm sure so I'll leave that to him. Here's some pics of our day...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492385190.809675.jpg
Yes, he is 6' tall and standing in that hole! You can see a horizontal dark hole in the side wall of the hole, by his head. This is where the gold bearing layer was. Only 2 feet down but we still dug 8!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492385242.591445.jpg
The beach was clothing-optional (think middle age and older naked folks) so my wife had to be careful what was in the background of the shots!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread