Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast
Like Tree2528Likes

Thread: Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10445 times
    Prospecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1537195404.766697.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	560.0 KB 
ID:	1633129
    My daughter out prospecting with me. We are gathering gold to make the wedding band she will give her fiancť at their wedding next September. Sooo fun!

MAGA

Dec 2015
    Oregon Coast
    743 times
    Prospecting
    What a wonderful way to unite a family! Congratulations to all! You have a great life, Kevin.
    KevinInColorado and 63bkpkr like this.

us
    Apr 2013
    Clam Gulch, AK
    Whites GMT E-series
    131 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Since my last post Iíve hit several spots and found pickers at the Felix Pedro Monument and at Chicken Creek. Pics to follow when I have better internet service
    the felix pedro monument in Fairbanks? we went twice just because we were bored and only got a few specks both times. for us, it was more about just getting out I guess.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10445 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ProspectorALEX View Post
    the felix pedro monument in Fairbanks? we went twice just because we were bored and only got a few specks both times. for us, it was more about just getting out I guess.
    Yup the public claim across from the monument. Good gold there on top of the clay layer. Git sum!
    gunflintguy and Nitric like this.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10445 times
    Prospecting
    Hereís a map of all the areas of Colorado where Iíve been with a pan in hand:
    http://findinggoldincolorado.com/book-map/
    gunflintguy likes this.

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4447 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Mr. Kevin,
    You and your daughter out gathering gold for the wedding band she will present to her Husband, what an awesome way for Father and Daughter to work together for such a special event! Congratulations to the both and all of you!.................63bkpkr

Name:	IMG_4212.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	1634320 Some special moments just have a glow about them! Congratulations on this special moment that is coming to your family!
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10445 times
    Prospecting

Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1537855039.916417.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	531.8 KB 
ID:	1635840
    Helped a buddy dive and dredge on his claim today. A Keene triple stage only catches about half the gold so he worked with Keene to add a sump at the end of the sluice which feeds a beach box. THAT does the job!
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Sep 25, 2018 at 08:58 PM.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10445 times
    Prospecting
    Got out sampling on Thursday. Three new spots with gold at all three. One is claimable and close to home (sorta) so I may just file a new claim!
    I grabbed a pic of the first spot:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538863992.952365.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	1639577
    But thereís also this:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538864033.902621.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	1639579
    And itís a STEEP SLOPE up from the water. Yikes!

us
    Oct 2017
    The Land Between Two Rivers
    13 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    But thereís also this:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538864033.902621.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	1639579
    And itís a STEEP SLOPE up from the water. Yikes!

I think I'd work it with a couple of knotted ropes secured topside and hanging down the best slope and easy to grab.

Maybe another one(downstream) to hook the gear to and pull it up after safely back up above.

Good luck and stay safe.
    Asmbandits likes this.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10445 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by CyHawkGold View Post
    I think I'd work it with a couple of knotted ropes secured topside and hanging down the best slope and easy to grab.

Maybe another one(downstream) to hook the gear to and pull it up after safely back up above.

Good luck and stay safe.
    Funny youíd mention that. Here IS a rope running down the hill. A really nice fat one in fact. You can just barely see it in this pic.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538895661.929317.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	549.5 KB 
ID:	1639705
    utah mason likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    2461 times
    Hey Kevin,

I have been working on a theory about Colorado gold. From my own experiences and learning from others, it seems to me that areas of Colorado that experienced glacial activity tend not to produce large course placers. We know the glaciers scour valleys clean of such deposits, and re-mix the gold in sediments. Which may indicate that the best places to search for gold placers in CO are where glaciation never occurred.

In the San Juan Mountains it seems most of the gold is still locked up in hard rock as well. Unlike the mountains in California, which are far older than the Rockies, erosional processes and earthquakes have not yet had the time to erode gold out of its matrix, where it can collect in placer formations.

All of which tends to make course gold placers in CO the exception, not the rule. Especially when compared to places like California or Alaska. Do you agree with these conclusions? And do you think CO prospectors would be better served by limiting their prospect areas to non-glaciated areas?

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10445 times
    Prospecting
    Well, thatís a complicated question, itís tough to make state wide generalities too. On top of that Iím no geologist so I only know bits and pieces myself.

I can say only 5% of the gold found in Colorado has been Placer. In several cases, glaciers exposed lode deposits and created righ Placer deposits (such as the upper Blue River and the upper Middle Fork of the South Platte and the upper San Miguel too).

I think the main reason for smaller average gold particle size has more to do with the nature of the rock itself although Iím unsure at a specific level.

I know this doesnít help a ton. If you ask this in the FB group, we can get some real geologists to chime in.
    Asmbandits likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    2461 times
    I've already spoken with several geologists about this, and they do not dispute my theory. I agree that most CO gold is locked up in hard rock. It simply hasn't had the time to erode out as it has in other areas where placers are more plentiful.

A friend tried to start a metal detecting club in Durango, but no one wanted to join. And it took awhile for us to figure out that is due to the fact historically very few nuggets are found in topsoil in CO where they can be detected. Those that have were found in mine tailing piles.
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10445 times
    Prospecting

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1539755320.914083.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	424.3 KB 
ID:	1643090
    Got out digging today. The spot is claimable so I took a good friend to it to see if he would fall in love with it and file a claim on it. We found lots of tiny colors and a couple pieces of 3-D chunky gold. Yup, heís going to file on it. Makes me happy since he has helped me with my website and is fun to dig with.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1938 times
    Prospecting
    Congrats to you guys! Persistence pays off!
    KevinInColorado likes this.

Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links