OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you provide the pans or did they bring their own? just curious how the volunteer stuff works

Their Parent teacher org paid for pans and sucker bottles and vials. We buy all those things by the case so we get wholesale prices :)

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
I slipped into a sanitary canal because of the slime on the structure when I was kid. Ma made me strip down outside and then scrubbed the bejeezus out of me with a hose before letting me inside to use the bath tub. Threw away my fav jeans :( I have yet to recover from the trauma (jeans, not swim) :D

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't it feel good to pass along some thing those kids will remember the rest of their lives. The best is no texts or video games involved. Let them use that mellon on top of their shoulders. HAT'S OFF TO YA!

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I slipped into a sanitary canal because of the slime on the structure when I was kid. Ma made me strip down outside and then scrubbed the bejeezus out of me with a hose before letting me inside to use the bath tub. Threw away my fav jeans :( I have yet to recover from the trauma (jeans, not swim) :D

In rural GA we used to get teams together and throw fresh cow patties at each other... if you got one in the hair, had to go down to the creek to get it out before you went home. My god, re-reading that makes me wonder what we were thinking

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In rural GA we used to get teams together and throw fresh cow patties at each other... if you got one in the hair, had to go down to the creek to get it out before you went home. My god, re-reading that makes me wonder what we were thinking

Hey, kids can make almost anything fun!

Oh, also, my before and after kids digging yielded 0.04 grams...sure wish I could have stayed longer and really dug!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, I never said it was fun !! And I am not sure I like the idea that you guys like that I slipped into that stuff :P

And then there is rural GA where things are done on purpose - if it walks like a duck, you should duck cuz it just might throw cow poop at you :D

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kevin what a great way to spend a day outside! Thank you for passing some of your vast knowledge on to the next generation!

(any pictures of the picker or the gold?)

- Brian

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up here in NH. we called them cow flap fights! LOL!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out today to sample a spot on Clear Creek and teach a couple guys from Michigan how to pan. They caught on quick :)

The sampling was interesting. 6 pans = 3 -50 flakes and dozens of -100 specks. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443846908.780271.jpg Wonder why the big pieces don't stop there...hmm.

FYI pic taken with a macro lens on an iPhone.

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Any gold is good! Since these folks were from Michigan it's good they were taught on the size of gold they will be seeing when they get back home. Good on ya for teaching people!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out again today for a couple hours in my honey hole. The water was really, really low. I could barely run the Bazooka Sniper even with a full dam. Patience was rewarded with 3 +20 flakes and about 1/3 gram overall. Pics to come later as I had to stop panning to dash to the airport for a biz trip :(

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let me know next time you are headed to Atlanta. we can get together and atleast pan. The water here has been pretty low here too.... If there is enough time, maybe we can do a fish fry at my parents lake house. We catch boat loads of crappy there!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let me know next time you are headed to Atlanta. we can get together and atleast pan. The water here has been pretty low here too.... If there is enough time, maybe we can do a fish fry at my parents lake house. We catch boat loads of crappy there!

Will do Ducky, sounds like fun!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I love pan fish! We used to catch blue gill up in Indiana at my grandfather's lake house on Lake Syracuse. I found out from my other grandfather in Alabama that in the South they were called crappy (pronounced crop-py for all of you wondering what the cr@p type of fish Ducky was talking about). :)

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love pan fish! We used to catch blue gill up in Indiana at my grandfather's lake house on Lake Syracuse. I found out from my other grandfather in Alabama that in the South they were called crappy (pronounced crop-py for all of you wondering what the cr@p type of fish Ducky was talking about). :)

Thanks Dave. Down here we call Bluegill brim. Same fish, different name

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Dave. Down here we call Bluegill brim. Same fish, different name

Yep; still tastes great! Both are sunfish and I heard them called brim, too. I did think blue gill were the same as crappie, too. I guess not. Learn something new every day! Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread