Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got out after work today. In the rain but that's what raincoats are for right? Had to stop when the water started rising...yikes!

First time this month so I pounced on the chance. Makes 48 months in a row of getting out every month :)

I'll update with pics and weights later.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
So whats going on for Kevin's memorial day weekend?
I got out as well but man is the water high. Theres not very many gravel bars still exposed on the platte, clear creek, or the other stream that starts with a c in south metro which gave me a pretty good sample!
Its like Seattle here! The hills are starting to slide its so wet!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmm, good question. Lots of house chores but definitely want to build my Bazooka Sniper highbanker and try it out :)

What about u?

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We are in Steamboat Springs. Way too wet to do much. We went to the hot springs this morning but got cancelled due to lightning about 1 hour after we got there. So having fun with the grandkids climbing all over me.

All the creeks and rivers we passed were maxed and there was lots of snow going up Rabbit Ears Pass. Coming down into Middle Park was wonderful. It is a beautiful spring green with all fruit trees flowering. We mostly missed that in Colorado Springs due to hail, snow and freezing temperatures.

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KIC,GG

I am going to be heading out your way and staying at the Clear Creek RV park in Golden. I
s there any where near there I can get out with a sluice and pan?

Thanks

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KIC,GG

I am going to be heading out your way and staying at the Clear Creek RV park in Golden. I

Thanks

Heck, you are going to be sleeping on gold there! The RV park is built on material dropped by the gold bearing Clear Creek! Be fun if they let you dig a hole at your camp site but maybe more polite to walk over to the creek and dig where it's already wet ;-)

Seriously, the city of Golden allows prospecting on the chunk of CC running thru town (manual and electric only, no gas powered gear as its a city park). Also, there's popular prospecting areas a couple miles up and downstream of where you're staying.

*Arapahoe Bar Info
http://www.ci.wheatridge.co.us/1184/Gold-Panning

Clear Creek Canyon Openspace Park
http://jeffco.us/parks/recreation/gold-prospecting/

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Honestly Frght, it looks like we may have a little reprieve from the Seattle weather.
There is still diggings to be had even now.
Im just spoiled on a richer layer that i cant reach very well with the water up 2'.
There is always flood gold on the top.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432481002.776475.jpg from Friday after work. Upper right is -50 mesh, larger around from there out of each classified pan of concentrates. I always like seeing those +20 flakes like in the upper left. Lovin' this honey hole :) Weighs out to exactly 0.50 grams which is solid for that spot given how short my visit was.

Heavy pans y'all!

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1/2 gram after work. Very Nice.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man gotta love that YELLOW gold. The stuff your getting is so clean and bright yellow. I love it!

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice gold! I wont be out until July but I am already excited. Theres good gold here but I need a change of scenery and it wil be nice not having to lug water.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice gold! I wont be out until July but I am already excited. Theres good gold here but I need a change of scenery and it wil be nice not having to lug water.

July is probably a good time since we've been having so much rain this month...there's too much water in some spots I'd like to dig :(

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats what I was thinking. I know you have or a Bazooka Gold Trap, what size do you recomend?

gunflintguy

Oct 4, 2013
Northern Mn
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Blue Bowl
Sluices: 36" Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper, Angus McKirk Recon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KIC,GG

Thanks
Frght,

I was at the Clear Creek RV Park in Golden last week, and left the morning of the 16th. I stayed 3 days and had to go to the south Platte location that Kevin and GG and others call Big Bend due to the heavy rains and water being so deep. I was at Arapahoe Bar last July and it was very easy to get to and work.

If you try decide to check Arapahoe bar out, ask at the front desk of the RV Park for a map to get you to Walmart on Youngfield road. Follow the directions on the map to Walmart, and mine to Arapahoe bar. The RV Park is on 10th street which eventually turns into 44th Ave, drive about 5 to 6 miles on 10th st/44th ave and turn right at the first traffic light immediately after driving under the interstate you are now on Youngfield.

Before you get to the Walmart take the first right that goes under the interstate and you will now be on the Youngfield service road, make another right and you are about ½ mile from the parking lot for Arapahoe Bar.

Big Bend or the Steele Street Park is in the town of Thornton see link below
Adams County, CO - Official Website

If you choose to go to Big Bend the gravel bar east of the old railroad bridge is where you want to try.

It took me about 25 minutes to get to Big Bend from the RV Park.

I have a 36 inch sniper which I like. The drawback is the length IF you have to find a backpack to carry it in. I love it because I just dig and no classifying.

Good Luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats what I was thinking. I know you have or a Bazooka Gold Trap, what size do you recomend?

My favorites are the 30" Sniper and the 36" Prospector. If there's enough water, I choose the Prospector because it works faster than I can shovel. On the other hand being slowed just a little by the sniper may be healthier (less pulled muscles from excessive shoveling due to gold fever).

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin next time out and digging in the honey hole. Can you try to get the river running. Toward New Hampshire. Real pretty stuff.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, here's a new use for the Sniper:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432609257.793672.jpg
The 1200gph pump produces a nice fluid bed and enough water to work the material. It does take more hands on work than a normal Bazooka. All the water falls in the trap from the deck so there's no water to push the rocks past the grizzly. Guess we're gonna need a bigger pump...lol!

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Solid build Kevin. Whats the total investment if you dont mind sharing?

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Battery $80 ( but it also functions a an emergency tool for jump starts, etc), pump $40, plumbing $10-15...pretty cheap! The stand was free, a hand me down from a friend, (otherwise build one for $20 or buy one for $50) and the sluice I already had of course.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
seems the rocks could be cleared off the deck by a stiff bristled broom. Keeps you from bending over atleast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread