Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I chained it to a tree so that it wouldn't roll down hill....Made that mistake before changing a heater core, caught the T,Case shifter with the dash knocking it into N...Finally got my foot jammed on the brake at the end of the drive....Not this time!!!!!No room for that screw up again.:laughing7:

Resized_20190529_133956.jpeg

I took the drivers side doors off first, then parked it as close as I could to my trailer. Then I ratchet strapped the front and rear of the trailer to the truck so that the trailer wouldn't twist on me when trying to move things...Plus again..it's on a hill.. I had to loosen the bed and slide it back as far as I could to get enough room to slide the cabs to clear the motor. And you've done this and know these frames aren't flat and it's not as simple as sliding the cabs, or the bed...That took a lot off messing around with 2x4 blocks.

20190529_134025.jpg

And I'm glad I thought far enough ahead....I tied a strap to the old cab to keep it from rolling down into the neighbors yard and fence...And it would of..When it flipped off it jerked the strap right out of my wife and my hands. Then I supported it, and re tied it so it would go anywhere afterwards...

20190530_145423.jpg

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then...We used 2x4's and ratchet straps to pull it off the trailer and onto the frame....Ya...it sounds so simple. hahaha I had to keep a ratchet strap pulling forward too...since.....it's on a hill....so we would go 6 or 8 in, reset, over and over..while moving blocks around.

20190530_181907.jpg

20190530_180742.jpg

20190531_111659.jpg

20190529_132249.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's dinged up. but no rust...I did enough rust repair in my life that I can't stand it, I don't mind fixing some dents, and I'll change the pass side cab corner...later on...It's just getting flat black spray cans for now, money is real tight, so I'll just do whatever I can and pick at it for now. I have a lot of it together today, I think one more day and it will be done. Then I have to figure out how I'm going to drag the old cab up onto the trailer....Ya...I know I'm a hillbilly...but it's fun!!!:laughing7: It really wasn't that heavy stripped, but still too heavy for me to handle, I turned soft....it took everything I had to lift the the corner of the bed. hahaha And it's slid off the lift blocks and is sitting all funny...I'll do the same thing getting it lined up with the ratchet straps and a bottle jack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I've done in two years was work!!!! Playing "catch up"!! :laughing7: Moved back to Ohio, Son is old enough now to pan, so we will get out and find him some glacial gold this summer. I live within a mile of where I found it before so it should be pretty easy to find it again. We did do a little detecting here and there and he's been looking for arrow heads and rocks with his mom since there are fields right behind the house....... Didn't give up! Life goes on!!!! I'll make it west one day.......

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The only thing I've done in two years was work!!!! Playing "catch up"!! :laughing7: Moved back to Ohio, Son is old enough now to pan, so we will get out and find him some glacial gold this summer. I live within a mile of where I found it before so it should be pretty easy to find it again. We did do a little detecting here and there and he's been looking for arrow heads and rocks with his mom since there are fields right behind the house....... Didn't give up! Life goes on!!!! I'll make it west one day.......

So you still have the 12 valve?

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you still have the 12 valve?

Yes, I haven't done much with it. I drive it everyday! I worked a lot this past year and also moved into a turn of the century project house. My wife always wanted a Victorian house. It's not a true Victorian(4 square with victorian accents or partial designs), but close enough and was in the right area for a few reasons, that area is climbing in value like crazy. Also about a half a mile from my Dad, so that he can help out with my Son and also my Son can grow up around him. My Dad is President of the local historical Society and it's kind of cool that we have two of the older houses in an old town that doesn't even really exist anymore. It was one that we would always stop and stare at when we were kids, she(my wife) was obsessed with the "widows walk", (railing no longer exists and needs put back on top). It was the neighborhood "haunted house" when growing up. hahaha She got her house after 20 some years.... Run down and overgrown, but it's a start!!!!

I even have mid 1800's wrought iron fence that I bought from a house(another one of our dream houses when kids, but we couldn't buy it when it came up for sale at 80k and now that house is up and over 300k...Not in the realm of possible for us hahaha) across the street 15 years ago when they sold the fence at a garage sale for $600 ??? , I grabbed it as fast as I could hoping to one day buy that house and the fence made it look cool. That finally has a place to go when I get to it. It will be a different house but close enough. The current owner of that house tried to buy it back but he wanted it for less than scrap and I hung on to it.

So this past year the goal was just to put oil and fuel in the truck and work on the house. When we moved in a year ago we had...No heat, the boiler had froze and cracked from the house sitting empty, no real plumbing it was a mess, toilet wouldn't flush, windows broken out, a swimming pool in the basement every time it rained, sewer also broke off at the wall it was clay pipe and just dumping in the basement, no locks on the doors, hell!!! hardly had back doors, overgrown with plants and trees...etc.........

But!! after the summer we have it Livable! hahahaha. I just bought a spare 47RE to rebuild the way I want, that way I could still drive the truck while rebuilding a trans. I'm going to start collecting parts for that. Still have the truck, I drive it all over for work and eventually will get it together too. The house had to come first this year.

Heck we had every animal and bug known living in the place when we moved in....I about fell off of scaffolding when a rat snake came out of the eve's and went up over the roof, down the brick and in above a window. I was ready to blow the place apart with a shotgun!!! I hate snakes!! The walls are brick, inside and out. the walls are about 1ft thick. All interior outside walls are brick with plaster right over them. It's going to be a fun learning process, but built like a fortress. And everything was living in the walls between the two rows of brick, in that 2 in. air space.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I haven't done much with it. I drive it everyday! I worked a lot this past year and also moved into a turn of the century project house. My wife always wanted a Victorian house. It's not a true Victorian, but close enough and was in the right area. So this past year the goal was just to put oil and fuel in the truck and work on the house. When we moved in a year ago we had...No heat, the boiler had froze and cracked from the house sitting empty, no real plumbing it was a mess, toilet wouldn't flush, windows broken out, a swimming pool in the basement every time it rained, sewer also broke off at the wall it was clay pipe and just dumping in the basement, etc......... But!! after the summer we have it Livable! hahahaha. I just bought a spare 47RE to rebuild the way I want, that way I could still drive the truck while rebuilding a trans. I'm going to start collecting parts for that. Still have the truck, I drive it all over for work and eventually will get it together too. The house had to come first this year.

not sure on your plans for the rebuilt 47re, but i had a custom shift kit put in when i rebuilt it and it helped it last a bit longer(darn 47re and electrical probs is what hold these trucks back). made it shift a bit harder for lack of better terms, which means less slip period when engaging, which means less wear. I had to sell my 1998 12 valve, super sad. But the best way all the old guys do is get a conversion plate and mount an allison trans on that sucker.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure on your plans for the rebuilt 47re, but i had a custom shift kit put in when i rebuilt it and it helped it last a bit longer(darn 47re and electrical probs is what hold these trucks back). made it shift a bit harder for lack of better terms, which means less slip period when engaging, which means less wear. I had to sell my 1998 12 valve, super sad. But the best way all the old guys do is get a conversion plate and mount an allison trans on that sucker.

I'm still learning and this is a long term plan....So, I'm in no rush. I have a billet single disk convertor now with a trans go shift kit or valve body. I haven't pulled the pan to see for sure, just going by what the previous owner told me and it does shift hard so I'm sure he did something in there. The one I want to build I want to go as far as "bullet proof" as I can, within reason.... I'm still learning that stuff a little here and there. I'm looking at different convertor and not sure what I'm going to go with yet. I eventually want to build the truck, and the trans is the weakest link. Eventually, I may go standard, but this is all just dream talk right now. hahaha For sure, I'll do valve body work and a triple disk convertor, I should have went 48re, but....I'll work with what I have...Still learning in between everything else in life. I really like the truck and I'm sure I'll keep it for a while. It's my first diesel and compared to gas? I'm never going back. hahaha. On the freeway it just pulls so hard from 50mph to about 90mph in a hurry and will keep climbing. I haven't really pushed it much past that pulling a trailer, I'm amazed at how well these things run.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still learning and this is a long term plan....So, I'm in no rush. I have a billet single disk convertor now with a trans go shift kit or valve body. I haven't pulled the pan to see for sure, just going by what the previous owner told me and it does shift hard so I'm sure he did something in there. The one I want to build I want to go as far as "bullet proof" as I can, within reason.... I'm still learning that stuff a little here and there. I'm looking at different convertor and not sure what I'm going to go with yet. I eventually want to build the truck, and the trans is the weakest link. Eventually, I may go standard, but this is all just dream talk right now. hahaha For sure, I'll do valve body work and a triple disk convertor, I should have went 48re, but....I'll work with what I have...Still learning in between everything else in life. I really like the truck and I'm sure I'll keep it for a while. It's my first diesel and compared to gas? I'm never going back. hahaha. On the freeway it just pulls so hard from 50mph to about 90mph in a hurry and will keep climbing. I haven't really pushed it much past that pulling a trailer, I'm amazed at how well these things run.

I always said the rest of my truck would fall to pieces and that engine would climb out of that front end and shake and rattle itself down the road. Still kick myself for selling it every time I think about it. Billet converter is the way to go, sounds like you have a decent set up. I would really recommend grabbing an allison trans if you ever see one at a good price, It fixes that weakest link in this truck. Then all you gotta worry about is those damn ball joints and electrical issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always said the rest of my truck with fall to pieces and that engine would climb out of that front end and shake and rattle itself down the road. Still kick myself for selling it every time I think about it. Billet converter is the way to go, sounds like you have a decent set up. I would really recommend grabbing an allison trans if you ever see one at a good price, It fixes that weakest link in this truck. Then all you gotta worry about is those damn ball joints and electrical issues.

Electrical issues!! For sure!!! hahaha I had to take a trip from Ohio to GA, I'm here working on my moms house, and another reason im on the net the past couple days. On the way out of Ohio my headlight switch melted down(3rd one). I stopped at a Autozone in Cinci. and wired the headlights straight to the battery with a fuse holder. The fuse is my switch. I'm afraid to mess with it much until I get back home and have all the tools and supplies. So for now...I pop the hood, plug in the fuse for headlights. :laughing7: I've also wired the fuel valve open to get home when the fuel shut off relay went bad. That's the cool thing about these trucks, the whole electrical system could melt down and the motor still runs!! As long as you get it started.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrical issues!! For sure!!! hahaha I had to take a trip from Ohio to GA, I'm here working on my moms house, and another reason im on the net the past couple days. On the way out of Ohio my headlight switch melted down(3rd one). I stopped at a Autozone in Cinci. and wired the headlights straight to the battery with a fuse holder. The fuse is my switch. I'm afraid to mess with it much until I get back home and have all the tools and supplies. So for now...I pop the hood, plug in the fuse for headlights. :laughing7: I've also wired the fuel valve open to get home when the fuel shut off relay went bad. That's the cool thing about these trucks, the whole electrical system could melt down and the motor still runs!! As long as you get it started.

Yup i actually had the whole system go down one time. the entire fuse box broke and lost connection! was driving down the road when it happened, I remember my clusters not working and no lights and so on(maybe power steering went too? cant remember), but she still kept on rolling down the road! I just didn't shut it off for a whole day until I had everything to fix it from the scrap lot

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also pretty sure I have a world record for the number of times a starter had to be hit just right with a hammer to get it started. Went a couple weeks doing that nearly everyday, with a new one sitting in the back seat because I was lazy.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also pretty sure I have a world record for the number of times a starter had to be hit just right with a hammer to get it started. Went a couple weeks doing that nearly everyday, with a new one sitting in the back seat because I was lazy.

Yes, I'm that way too! I had a friend that owned a small mechanics shop, I worked there at night and on the weekends. My GF(wife now) had a car we were putting about a quart of oil in a day. For months.....Finally one night at the shop my friend said, "lets get that thing on the rack and find the oil leak....". After we looked at it? The oil filter had literally rotted away and there was a hole in it. hahahaha That was 20 some years ago and he still won't let me live that one down. "I have you working on cars in MY shop and you can't even change oil in your own car?......." :laughing7: He claims it's the only time he's ever seen an oil filter rot a hole through it.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'm that way too! I had a friend that owned a small mechanics shop, I worked there at night and on the weekends. My GF(wife now) had a car we were putting about a quart of oil in a day. For months.....Finally one night at the shop my friend said, "lets get that thing on the rack and find the oil leak....". After we looked at it? The oil filter had literally rotted away and there was a hole in it. hahahaha That was 20 some years ago and he still won't let me live that one down. "I have you working on cars in MY shop and you can't even change oil in your own car?......." :laughing7: He claims it's the only time he's ever seen an oil filter rot a hole through it.
OH dang! that takes it to a whole new level! haha

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen an oil filter rust through, even with all the salt we throw down here in ny

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen an oil filter rust through, even with all the salt we throw down here in ny

Ohio is the same way. I have seen oil pans rot through. That was one cool thing about living in the south. There was no rust. Up north we are so use to it that we even look at rusty vehicles and say, "That's not bad!!", where in the South I have the rustiest vehicle in the county. hahaha

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio is the same way. I have seen oil pans rot through. That was one cool thing about living in the south. There was no rust. Up north we are so use to it that we even look at rusty vehicles and say, "That's not bad!!", where in the South I have the rustiest vehicle in the county. hahaha

I see videos of people looking at under carriges down south and saying they won't buy something cause its a little rusty.....and I am just sitting there thinking man in NY that thing is mint!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread