Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this would be a cool place to log my adventures,what I'm learning or questioning about Geology,prospecting,laws on the subject, and maybe one day mining as a hobby or a real income. Or maybe not, Might just be a dreamer and a night time thing, learning history and related topics. Either way? It's for fun! To start, I'm not much of a writer!!! I'll edit a million times over the next few days and still won't like it. I've also been thinking,......I have a Son now, and wouldn't it be cool if maybe this was up years from now, maybe he would run into it!!

Next, is going to be what got me interested and a little about myself. It might get a little lengthy, I'll post questions or topics at the bottom. So, you can skip right to it if you would like, and skip all the stuff that is probably boring to most seasoned prospectors or that don't want to hear personal details! :thumbsup:

What got me interested?

I don't remember all the details, But it started when my Dad and Grandfather laughed at me and called me crazy! At the time I had taken over a coin,jewelry,watch, and gold buying customer base. The original owner was a real close older friend. He taught me a lot about many related subjects, took me to trade type shows and pushed me into areas of interest for about 10years. When he became I'll and passed, His son and I gave it a try. His son lasted from Feb, to Aug.(lost his butt trying to get rich fast, lost everything) that year. I made it a little over a year and closed it after the second guy I partnered with borrowed money(He kept borrowing to buy and pay loans (Ponzi type stuff)) and was starting to get into questionable activities on the side. I didn't want to be associated with him at that point.

Anyhow, during that time a man came in with vials of gold that he claimed came out of GA. (this was in Ohio) They were glass vials that had gold nuggets about a quarter inch and smaller with little tiny pieces of quartz embedded in them. The one vial I know weighed close to an ounce. That was my first time really ever seeing any nuggets in person. Now, from seeing the threads what people get out of GA, I'm really starting to question where it actually came from, or he knows a really, really,really good spot! While talking to him we got on the subject of prospecting and I told him I wish we had Gold in Ohio. He said"you do"! And explained the glaciers and to check into it.

That night, I stopped by my Grandfathers to talk to him and my Dad. I told them what I had seen and the conversation with the man earlier that day. They both laughed hysterically and told me I was insane and would believe anything anyone tells me!"There's no Gold in Ohio,!! Hey, maybe? you should look for diamonds too HAHAHAHAH" So, I spent the whole summer studying, looking at maps, and finding glacial gold Just to prove a point!!!! As I got interested in the subject a friend of a friend knew a prospector/miner from the west doing work for a local company on a related subject. I was introduced. He was one of the nicest people I've meet! He explained the life, some of the ups and downs and gave me a piece of equipment to take home, take apart, study and bring back. I hurried home, took measurements and took it back the same day. It was a suction nozzle that was variable. Made by a company in N.C. or S.C.. I was amazed that a man I didn't even know, was willing to take the time,talk and loan me a piece of his equipment to study!

I studied maps,books,Geology,watched videos on Youtube,and history off and on for the next few years. I even had my "treasure" or area of interest maps taped to our living room walls, to look at everyday! Now, my reading retention sucks! So, most of what I read and studied is no longer in there. Most of my concentration was GA. My mom and stepdad live here and I thought when visiting, I could prospect.

Grandfather becomes sick and tells me, Go for it one day! Life's too short, you already spent half of it chasing money,chase something that interests you.......He always wanted to go back west and mine, he never made it, and passed about a month after the conversation. With this in my mind, over the next year,my mom and stepdads health was starting to turn bad. Her(soon to be wife) and I weren't really moving forward, everything was kind of.... well.....Boring! Same old grind!

One day at work I'm told about a possible position in Ga! The same week mom calls worried about how they are going to take care of everything. SO!!!! The Brainstorm of the century! This will be exciting! I can kill the same old grind, stay with mom and help until we get a place close to them, which in turn helps us too,Job promotion!!!WOOOHOOO I'm going prospecting and mining! I'm on top of the world for the next few months!!! Pack up the house, give things away, Vehicles,furniture,4 wheelers, Because life is good! I'll make it up later! Lets go on an adventure! Get to GA, things are tight, that's ok job is still trying to get position organized ,"just hang out for a few months and we will let you know." Sounds Great! Well, one month turns into 4, call them up. "Ya, were still getting there just hang out, it's going to be real soon." OK.....I head back to Ohio to work the summer. While in Ohio, I get call from job! "Hey, where you at!" I tell them "I'm in Ohio working." "When will you be back in Ga?" "I can be there mon." (this was fri morn)" Ok, were ready to start, when you get to Ga let us know and we will get this moving!" COOL!!! Finally!!!! Pack back up, come back to GA. Call..week goes by call again, month, call two months answer."ya, were having issues and new management doesn't like the plan we had for you!" HUH?????

Then on Jan.1 find out she is 20 weeks pregnant and didn't know! Has complications came real close to losing both,he was born 10 weeks early. March 8.

Everything is gone! No money in the bank, no extra vehicles,house,.....completely out of cash! The vehicle we have is patched together! Lucky to have a place to stay! BUT...We found our Gold! His name is Nathaniel (gifted by god). At 39 first, child, and today is healthy , happy and doing fine, after a real rough few month start, today we were told he no longer needed heart meds! Grandpa was right! Quit chasing money! We never had kids, because we were so worried about money! Not, only that, we passed on other things that we couldn't see!

During this time of searching for gold I have met a lot of really cool people, learned a lot about life and many other areas! So, this has been my prospecting adventure so far! It's had it's ups and downs! Not worried one bit! I already found the gold! Now, I'm on to knowledge! And Hopefully one day, actually dig in the dirt? :laughing7:

What got you into prospecting? Was it the chase of money? freedom? Or something else...

Feel free to post whatever you want in this thread, I have many interests and I'm pretty thick skinned! So no worries! The above Is not made up and 100% true. There is actually more to it than that!

Any ideas, info, videos, pics, suggestions welcome!!! I have a high banker and some pans. So, will hopefully be hitting GA soon, as soon as everything is caught up, and a little on track!!

Back to information searching....................

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on your son! How old is he now? Ready to shake a gold pan yet?!

Which part of GA are you in? (I know people...)

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you!! Exciting and Scary! Probably more scary for him!:laughing7:

He will be 5 months, But Not sure exactly how that works yet. He wasn't due till May18, and was born on March 8., at 2lbs 12oz's So, there is an adjusted age they go by for now, then it all catches up later. I guess?

I'm in Dallas....Ducky was the first person I met in GA. We panned a creek close to here. That was the first and last time I had a chance to go out, It's been a while, Maybe a year or so. I'll have to look at the threads.

I haven't been online much until this past week or so. Now, that things are returning to as normal as can be expected, I want to put more time into learning,and exploring more. There were a few months(ok maybe a year:laughing7:) I was just walking in a daze!:laughing7:

He's up right now babbling away at me as I'm online! I can't understand him because his IQ is way higher than mine! But he's trying to speak down to my level!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some down time between "Charity work" which I appreciate immensely. Also, had a couple of wisdom teeth pulled earlier in the week. SO, I'm in real trouble now! There wasn't much wisdom to begin with!

Thinking about what direction to go and what to start back into. I kind of jump around from topic to topic. I have too many interests and no self discipline maybe?

Spent a couple of hours digging out the Highbanker and just looking at it and all of its pieces parts that I collected, thinking I may be able to use.Also realizing the pump still has gas in it from about 2 years ago. Then I thought, Why? I'm not sure where I'm going to use it yet? Or type of material? So, it's all in a pile and waiting for the next step. I've never really actually used the thing yet! Been dragging it around for three years, I bought it on a distress sale cheap and thought I might need it one day. Still like new. It's an A52 sluice with a flare, a keene crashbox(?)...A stand,hoses, 2 inch generic trash pump.

Dug out the Geology surveys for GA, I have. Dug out geology books on identifying rocks and minerals,etc... All great, I don't have enough background to understand them yet. Not to the point that I want to.

Then started thinking about A thread I read mentioning Merc., I know I have notes on that somewhere? Couldn't find them and ended up stumbling across notebooks and stuff I had from trying to learn how to use Aqua Regia. I've never messed with it and always wanted to learn from someone that knew what they were doing. Cool to read about, but unless someone who knows how to use it can walk me through it? I don't have the confidence to experiment on my own.

So, that's my wandering in circles today with no real direction! Toooo many interests and so much I want to know and don't!:laughing7:

Also...Anyone in the area, or knows someone in the area. I have NAWCC(Watch and Clock) bulletins that go back years, some others that go back into the late 50's? I believe. Not worth anything and I'll give them to someone interested. I hate to throw them out, there is a lot of really good info in them. I don't have the room and I'm not moving them again!!! There are a couple hundred or more. I'm not shipping them! I had someone interested and lost the contact info. :sadsmiley:

Last edited:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nitric's New Adventure

Hey nitric, glad to have you back in GA! I'm going to try to get out in August at some point in a weekend. I've got 2 sluices if you need to borrow one. Got a GREAT creek to hit. I took Kevin there and we found enough gold to wet our whistle. Text me if you still have my nbwr and we can try and set something up. Sweetwater creek had GOBs and gobs of black sand but not a spec of gold as far as I can tell. Ice been back a time or 2 to explore. Grats on the son! They sure are a blessing. Best of luck, stay in contact!

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nitric, glad to have you back in GA! I'm going to try to get out in August at some point in a weekend. I've got 2 sluices if you need to borrow one. Got a GREAT creek to hit. I took Kevin there and we found enough gold to wet our whistle. Text me if you still have my nbwr and we can try and set something up. Sweetwater creek had GOBs and gobs of black sand but not a spec of gold as far as I can tell. Ice been back a time or 2 to explore. Grats on the son! They sure are a blessing. Best of luck, stay in contact!

Thank You!! And yes, it would be a blast to go dig somewhere , even if it's just to shoot the breeze! I'll have to contact you through pm, old phone and number gone. New number is an ohio number. I'll pm it, almost put it here not thinking! :laughing7:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PSH i aint scared. i have a google voice number which is virtually forwarded to my actual phone number. i can change, deactivate or activate anytime for free. Anyone on the forums can contact me at 678-348-0836

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever anticipated gold on paper and then actually found it? I'm thinking....... could there be possible or likely areas that follow same trend as the old mines? Or am I way over thinking this, and it doesn't work that way. fill in the dots with a system or some kind of logic to anticipate likely deposit! Just had a few areas that I thought might look likely from the last time I was searching. With my own twisted logic. Just wondered if someone who is experienced, can say, yes, no, don't waste the time. walking the ground is the only way?

I also see where there were deposits isolated by themselves, That don't follow a fault line! Why? Are these vents, or pipes(can't remember term.) Just stuff I'm thinking about today and looking for the answers. Referring to hard rock. I know there is no hard rock mining allowed in GA, This is just for my curiosity!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If in Georgia, you've no doubt heard of Doc and Gold Hog. But, did you know he has a forum too?

Gold Prospecting Forum

Best of luck in life, liberty and the pursuit of gold!
Jeff

Yes, But I can't remember my name or password to get into it. The last I was on it, was when it was switching over or growing or something. Thanks! I actually kind of forgot about it, I'll have to find where I wrote the stuff down!!!!! I use to go in and read the forum regularly. I had very few posts. I think I was Joker(name given years ago by friends from cards, not batman lol) or something like that.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone ever anticipated gold on paper and then actually found it? I'm thinking....... could there be possible or likely areas that follow same trend as the old mines? Or am I way over thinking this, and it doesn't work that way. fill in the dots with a system or some kind of logic to anticipate likely deposit! Just had a few areas that I thought might look likely from the last time I was searching. With my own twisted logic. Just wondered if someone who is experienced, can say, yes, no, don't waste the time. walking the ground is the only way?

I also see where there were deposits isolated by themselves, That don't follow a fault line! Why? Are these vents, or pipes(can't remember term.) Just stuff I'm thinking about today and looking for the answers. Referring to hard rock. I know there is no hard rock mining allowed in GA, This is just for my curiosity!

Yes, best gold I've found in metro Denver was by logic using maps of old deposits and looking outside where the documented deposits are but in the same trend.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nitric,

If you ever get out this way, let me know. I'll take you out to a few spots. I might even let you play with an excavator if I am up and running by that time. :headbang:

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric,

If you ever get out this way, let me know. I'll take you out to a few spots. I might even let you play with an excavator if I am up and running by that time. :headbang:

Thanks!! That would be a blast!! I wish I was closer to some people with bigger operations, I'd like to just see and learn! I worked concrete for a while for a friend. I was always checking the dirt we were into. lol Looking for anything! I always wanted to check the gravel plants in Ohio for glacial gold when I lived there, but never got around to it.

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric, I have checked out a few. Most will not let you on site due to insurance Liability. There was one on route 20 to cancel fulton who was cool. But someone messed it up. I love prospecting ohio when I get the chance. I haven't got out much this year because I'am raising my too children. My son is 6 and my daughter is 8. There mother left us and lives in Phoenix. Have children is the most rewarding thing anyone can do in there life. To teach them and watch them grow put's a smile on my face everyday.

Wish you all the best.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric, I have checked out a few. Most will not let you on site due to insurance Liability. There was one on route 20 to cancel fulton who was cool. But someone messed it up. I love prospecting ohio when I get the chance. I haven't got out much this year because I'am raising my too children. My son is 6 and my daughter is 8. There mother left us and lives in Phoenix. Have children is the most rewarding thing anyone can do in there life. To teach them and watch them grow put's a smile on my face everyday.

Wish you all the best.

Hello! Hey, I'll let you in on a secret:dontknow:(or maybe it's not so secret) from experience! When you knock on doors to get permission. Tell them you are studying the glacial sediments, Give a real quick history. But not too much to lose their interest. Your looking to see what kind of metals and minerals are in different soils in the area. The places with the creeks are best because of concentration. This is for your own research as a kind of hobby.....It's all true, so your not lying!!! And most time they say sure go ahead. If you knock on a door and say you want to gold prospect? They will think you are crazy and want nothing to do with you or want you anywhere on their land.:stop: Also, make sure to say your not making a mess, it's just for fun. Get excited, and talk about garnet,copper, or anything other than gold. If they ask if you ever found any gold say yes! But let them bring it into the subject. Then go from there. It's not real well known in ohio. I will tell you, when you start saying your looking for gold, your are going to be considered insane,and minds switch into defense mode,rather than curiosity and willing to help! lol Try, what i'm saying, you will see! :laughing7:

When I was there I could not find one person that was in the area that wanted to do research or testing. I had one friend, and my Dad go with me at a couple different times. But no one wanted to sit down, study maps, or do any kind of actual testing and research. I wanted to test different areas, and make my own maps or concentrations and size. I never got real far into it.

Try the smaller plants. I'm pretty sure I know which one you are talking about, That's a huge operation! They have a huge(for the area) open pit. not sure if you can see it from the highway. And they own many plants.So, I can see why they won't give permission, they have too many areas where someone could get hurt bad or killed.(if it's the one I think your talking about) Also, sometimes they don't own the surrounding area. If you look, along that same path you will find plants big and real small, from the areas you mentioned the whole way to medina or akron, depending which one you follow. sometimes, off the main routes. Or old places that are long gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't give up on my Journal! I just haven't had anything new to add along the lines of Gold prospecting! I've been sidetracked and the Gold prospecting is Kind of on hold.

Well, I have been trying to figure out Gold filled and how to guess by total weight! So, I guess that is still kind of gold prospecting!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually just remembered this thread or I would have put my quartz finds and questions in here....I'll have to start..

So, lately, we have just been walking the neighborhood. There is new building going on so there is a lot of interesting stuff to look at in the dirt!! Maybe boring to you seasoned guys, but a lot of stuff is still new to us.

This morning she went for a walk by herself, and I stayed here with our son. Sometimes we take him but he was sleeping and left him sleep. She comes wobbling home,after falling down a bank after some quartz.. Trip to hospital!! After hours of waiting just a sprain on a previous injury. Crutches, some kind of air splint thing, and back home we went.

A couple hour later! She wants that rock!!!!!!! Before I knew it? Crutches on the floor, splint off and shes out the door limping towards the quartz!!:laughing7:

I thought I would start digging out a High banker I bought years ago and haven't really used..I collected some odds and ends, and I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions before I'm done!! I think it was a "piece together", but it's what I have and a start!! Then I'll have to find a place real close to try it out!!!! My son is walking and actually getting around awesome for being less than two!!!! He's fast too!!! So, it won't be too long and we will be able to take him out exploring!! I wouldn't even be afraid to take him camping at this point! He's really good, and is a pretty tough little kid!!!!:laughing7: Turned around today and he shot behind the couch! He thought it was funny!! I had to move the couch to get him out!!!:laughing7:

Hopefully! I'll have some pics of the high banker together within the next few days.....

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting journey you have been on, I hope for you all the best as you settle in with your prospecting/life/fatherhood/career, and caretaker of your wife....who has an injury...

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting journey you have been on, I hope for you all the best as you settle in with your prospecting/life/fatherhood/career, and caretaker of your wife....who has an injury...

She won't let me take pics...! :laughing7: But she's been through a lot..so the hospital was more of a thing to check bones. She was in a real bad car accident, and already had that heel crushed, she 's use to pain, just wanted to be sure. So shes tough!! And when it comes to "pretty rocks"? Look out!!! Fingers will be cut up too!!:laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell Mrs. Nitric that I hope she gets well soon....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread