OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I needed a detox weekend. A weekend away from people. I was on the road four of the five days last week, and everybody from the north coast to Fresno needs to be sited for at least one of these: DWB (Driving while Blonde), DWS (Driving while Stupid) or DWT (Driving while Texting). It wasn't about the gold as much as just not seeing another Human Being for a weekend.

So here's the layout: I slept in Saturday morning, realized my extension cord was loaned out. After collecting my cord, Dora and I finally got to the claim at 9:30ish. The debate began. Are we minin' or campin'? Well, it's a mix. I went about drinkin' my sedative while setting up to mine. This weekend was "Diggin' is my therapy, Beer is my sedative, and the Gold is a bonus"

Game Plan: Bring the gravels from the bedrock waterfall to a level I can shovel:

DSCF1204.JPG
DSCF1207.JPG
DSCF1208.JPG
DSCF1209.JPG

Remember, I'm not into work by this point, so it's hose the gravels down, and spend as little time shoveling as possible. I basically worked four hours, and drank my sedative the rest of the time. End of Saturday cleanout:

DSCF1210.JPG
DSCF1211.JPG

Nothing special about the evening except I got five drops of rain, it had been a wonderful day so far. The tent is up and Dora is in with dirty feet first as always. My work has me up early most mornings, so being wide awake at 4am is no surprise. Get coffee going and wait for sunrise....

As soon as I can see to navigate, I'm off to the creek. Today is all about getting the last few shovels in the Redneck Highbanker, then sucker tubing what don't stay in the shovel. I did several cleanouts just to see where the gold was on the bedrock. Every clean out was decent.

DSCF1212.JPG
DSCF1213.JPG
DSCF1214.JPG

It's time to set up the sucker, and clean some bedrock at this point. Well, it might have been in the middle of those pics. I set up Rockguy's G&S type sucker, and before I couls even get after it, I had six flashers staring at me. Believe me or not, I picked six pieces of gold off that bedrock before ever sucking any gravel.

So, my form of detox is not about drugs or alcohol, but about PEOPLE. I'll post some vids when they finish uploading. All said and done, .99 grams:

DSCF1217.JPG
DSCF1218.JPG
DSCF1219.JPG
There is something to be said about drinking beer from a gold can......

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More chunks,love it! Keep em comin!:3barsgold:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks very nice; low water flow allowing you to see what you are doing as you clean it out...and getting some nice gold!

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long weekend mining/camping. Rockguy was able to break away and join me Friday afternoon. Friday was basically beer, discuss how we'd mine Saturday, and beer. I'm so whooped from the weekend, even my two typin' fingers hurt. Needless to say, I won't go into great detail, just let the pics tell the story. First series is just after the start of the mining day:

DSCF1220.JPG

DSCF1221.JPG

DSCF1222.JPG

DSCF1226.JPG

DSCF1227.JPG

I can't remember where the break in the pics is, so the next set is toward the end of mining Saturday. Other than the money shot, I was too lazy to take pics of Sunday's short mining.

DSCF1228.JPG

DSCF1229.JPG

DSCF1230.JPG

DSCF1231.JPG
And the money shot:

DSCF1232.JPG

While on my morning ummmm, stroll with the No. 2, I dug this up:

DSCF1233.JPG

If anybody can identify what it came from, I'm suspecting it's from a pot belly stove, let me know. As you saw in the money shot, we pulled 1.62 grams. There were some awesomely chunky pieces, and the usual buckshot.

Both vid's will be posted when my slow satellite is done uploading

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a productive weekend! That's a really cool piece that you found. If only it could talk... Great gold too!

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is Sunday morning:

Everything in me is screaming swing a detector around that creek bed with the water so low and bedrock close given the chunky nature of the gold, may have some potatoes hiding in those boulders.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything in me is screaming swing a detector around that creek bed with the water so low and bedrock close given the chunky nature of the gold, may have some potatoes hiding in those boulders.

Actually, Some friends are coming week after this coming, and Kathy loves to detect (as well as dig). I might let her do just that. But I bet a good detector will be singing the Gold song everywhere.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend, I've invited mytimetoshine to join me at the Meat. He needs to see (and get) some gold that has substance. You know, the gold that has some weight to it, and character. The kind of gold that rarely pops up in the AR anymore. Anyway, as I say before hitting the claim, Film at 11.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the first of three videos from last weekend with mytimetoshine:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=ZqNu-oY1l5Y[/video]

I still haven't figured out why my phone gets an attitude and won't always show the vids horizontally so I'll apologize in advance for the sore necks created by the other videos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the second. Sorry for the abrupt end. I guess I bumped the screen and shut it off accidentally.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=oW50uonADos[/video]

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There we go. Wasn't working for me either.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got the boy workin.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread