T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a local mountain stream. The area has some history. Volcanic and two faults in the general area. Also two lead mines. I have been there twice sluicing. I only found One small piece of gold. But there is one section. With about a 1000 feet of exposed bed rock. I got the idea of bringing home some of it to crush. It has a lot of pyrite and mica in it. And its the stuff that crumble"s easily. Me and my grandson brought home about. A five gallon bucket full. So anyway I have crushed about a gallon so far. And I run it thought the sluice and panned the cons. To my surprise I found 9 pieces of gold and one good chunky flake. And about the same amount of platinum I think. Real shiny silver looking stuff. Anyway I keep it because it is heavy. Like gold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a local mountain stream. The area has some history. Volcanic and two faults in the general area. Also two lead mines. I have been there twice sluicing. I only found One small piece of gold. But there is one section. With about a 1000 feet of exposed bed rock. I got the idea of bringing home some of it to crush. It has a lot of pyrite and mica in it. And its the stuff that crumble"s easily. Me and my grandson brought home about. A five gallon bucket full. So anyway I have crushed about a gallon so far. And I run it thought the sluice and panned the cons. To my surprise I found 9 pieces of gold and one good chunky flake. And about the same amount of platinum I think. Real shiny silver looking stuff. Anyway I keep it because it is heavy. Like gold.

Smart man. Keep anything about as dense as gold. Other than lead, which is easy to id and should be removed from the waterway anyhow, the dense metals are all pretty valuable!

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I crushed about 10 lbs of rocks. And I got that much gold. I think thats pretty good. But Im glad I checked it out. The rocks in the stream are jagged so I don"t know. If theres enough water flow when flooding. To break up the rocks to erode the gold.And most of the time the water flow is slow. I have to crush the rocks by hand. Which is a pain. But I am working on my next gallon. Along process.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Update finished cleaning up the last of 2015 cons. And the results of crushing some more of the rocks. I collected from one stream. I crushed about 3/4 of a gallon and ran it thought my cleanup sluice. Not as good as the first batch. Found 3 pieces two being specks. And a couple more pieces of platnum. So my total for the year. Just a little over 5 grams not great but Im happy with it. Most of it coming from N.H but some from Maine also.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Results from another half gallon of ore that I crushed. Eleven pieces of gold and 5 more pieces of possibly platnum. The gold is the prettiest of any I have found.Some real chunky and narley. I think Some are a hunderd plus. I think thats the size classifier I use. Still have about a half bucket left.Never would have believed I would have found anything like that in N.H. I basicly did it for a winter project. It comes out of a type of rusty shale schist looking Quartz rock with a lot of muscovite mica.

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought may you crushed your counter top! LOL!

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No I think its a good idea. To leave the counter tops alone. Could be dangerious.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this last Saturday up on the Baker.
ed993e3bf0b67bd395787b2f2e10147c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice thats the first gold ive seen. Thats come from the Baker. And a nice little take for the collection.

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Results from another half gallon of ore that I crushed. Eleven pieces of gold and 5 more pieces of possibly platnum. The gold is the prettiest of any I have found.Some real chunky and narley. I think Some are a hunderd plus. I think thats the size classifier I use. Still have about a half bucket left.Never would have believed I would have found anything like that in N.H. I basicly did it for a winter project. It comes out of a type of rusty shale schist looking Quartz rock with a lot of muscovite mica.

Sounds like you found an outcropping of the Clough Quartzite formation (which has a brownish grainy quartz appearance and it is HEAVY), which has fine gold through the entire formation, that begins down several states away and ends up in Canada. The silvery stuff is not platinum, it is antimony.

Antimony is HEAVY just like gold, is soft just like gold, resists acid (stays shiney), however it is brittle when in crystalline form (closer to telluride). Do not crush this stuff, it can and will explode in your face and give off a nasty vapor.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its in the Rangley formation. The geology of the area doesnt show there being any antimony.A lot of Arsenical Pyrites or arsenopyrite also tonalite and pelltic schist. Silver and white tellurides with possible mixture of galena and silver,lead,colbalt, nickle. Some of it looks like melted solder. Which could be lead. Never know without testing. But it is heavy. Thanks for the reply.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Nice thats the first gold ive seen. Thats come from the Baker. And a nice little take for the collection.

Whaaat! I though we were better friends than that. The Baker has some really nice chunky gold.

Attachments

• 1465220060689.jpg
    1465220060689.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 192
OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grizz now your out in Colorado you could. And only if you want to could give a way a few of your.Secret spots. But i do know you would hike into the back country some. Always wanted to try the Baker. But I had an idea its best in the back country.Hows the dredging going. Some of your posts look like your kicking butt. Been out a few times done ok. But need to put more time in.Thats a great take. In the picture. Outstanding for N.H.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This journal has not had any posts in sometime. Please feel free to post any news about New Hampshire. Ive been doing very little prospecting. Ive pretty much lost my prospecting Partner. Do to health reasons. I know there must be gold related. Things golng on in N.H. Would love to keep this journal alive.

RedBaron

Oct 24, 2013
Lakeland, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I posted in this forum a few years back about NH&VT. I lived in NH, Canaan & Ossipee, for 27 years and panned for gold in the normal NH & VT spots, along with prospecting other out of the way streams. A "few" colors, but no worth the time and effort to go back to them. A LOT of work to half fill a small vile, but no pickers. Now in Florida, I am trying to head out west to do some panning and detecting. Go got to figure out where to start! Thanks, Bill

OH! if your old friend GRIZZ could give some info on which states and areas to start would be great. I will be back in NH for a few months in the late spring each year. So if you wish to partner up for some panning, that would be great.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great to here some news about N.H. It is hard to find gold in N.H. And what there is very fine. With no more sluicing in the white mountains. It makes it even harder. Its where the best gold is. When your up this way give me a heads up. Hopefully we can get out. And move some dirt. Just send me a privite message. It will show up as an E-Mail so I won"t miss it. Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone and Cheers to all. And things have to get better. Prayers to California.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was talking to my father-in-law and there are lode veins around. Not too far away from where we have a house in New Hampshire there was a gold vein found, and they drove a drift chasing it several hundred feet until they said it was no longer worth the effort, but that was at 1900 prices. Would it be worth it today? I have no idea, but with so many streams nearby, I would think if there is lode, then there is placer gold too.

There is no river in New Hampshire where gold has NOT been found.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ore Cart you are right about gold in all the streams in N.H. And also about there being a bunch of Mines. Mostly in the clough formation.They are still looking for the mother load there. Most gold found in the streams. Is so fine you would need a loupe to see it. Most of the gold found.In mines is a bye product of silver lead or copper.And the gold is a small amount of what is found. There is way more good gold streams. In Maine and bigger gold.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ore Cart you are right about gold in all the streams in N.H. And also about there being a bunch of Mines. Mostly in the clough formation.They are still looking for the mother load there. Most gold found in the streams. Is so fine you would need a loupe to see it. Most of the gold found.In mines is a bye product of silver lead or copper.And the gold is a small amount of what is found. There is way more good gold streams. In Maine and bigger gold.

The problem with Maine Gold is, it is in very specific places, in a very few places, well documented where they are, and thus overworked.

It is definitely true about by products and mining though. I mean the Comstock Lode was originally a gold mine, and it took them a bit to figure out the waste rock was actually silver! One of the things that led to the discovery of gold upon my land was a lead mine not far away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread