THERE"S GOLD IN THE GRANITE "GRANITE STATE THAT IS"

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So far been a slower year than 2014. Hoping to get out a few more times. To catch up to last year. Before the Ice Age sets in. Did manage to hit a few new spots. They look very promising. One spot I hit some Bigger stuff. With two small pickers. And possibly some silver and one of the Platinum metals neodymium. Never seem to get out enough. Everything"s at least a hour and a half away. And most areas are farther.With some being in Maine.If you look hard enough. There are possibilites in the granite state. And I never prospect with out one of my B.G.T. If there gold present they will catch it. Hopefully everyone else is having a great year. And best of luck for the rest of 2015.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always here about sluices losing gold. I find the cons. I bring home from running a sluice. That if I dry them. The larger pieces I will spread out. On a piece of plastic. And I always sort thought them for gems. That the dirt thats left on the plastic. If i pan them I will usually find. Several More pieces of gold. I generally wash off the larger rocks. That I dig up. But I wonder. How much gold is loss. By not washing off the larger rocks. And more so when working in clay. Im sure its more then any sluice would lose. Does anyone bother doing this. I found my 4 larger pieces of gold. Doing this from my last run.And the cons have come out of a BGT. That had been washed in the box all day.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Scientific studies in the Yukon showed that 20% of the gold was "stuck" to bigger rocks so you have to wash em. If you are curious about the % in your area, fill a bucket with water and throw all the bigger rocks in the bucket for washing. When you pan the material that has collected in the bottom of your bucket you'll know for sure.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know the bigger rocks hold gold. I always wash the bigger rocks. And the ones when in the clay areas. Which is where most of the gold is in my area. Can really hold onto a lot of material. Thats a good idea Kevin to check the bottom of the bucket. Ill have to bring an extra bucket. I would say even in the smaller stuff it amounts to 10 to 20 percent. Of the gold. If there"s a lot of clay.

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had washed my rocks, water was cold LOL! got two buckets. But stopped for awhile. Last weekends adventure I decided to do it again dirt was building up in my classifier. So I got my other bucket filled it with water and washed the rocks in the classifier for most of the morning had a few inches of cons panned it had like three pieces of fly poop. But a lot of gold in my sluice!

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like the material you where running. Had some clay mixed in with it. Did you hit the mostly clay layer or bedrock or false bedrock. Does look like a really good spot.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Trip, who you talking to me? If so no clay just really fine silt might as well be clay 1'' down into it nothing. No bed rock just a big azz rock! It seems to be a place when the river floods everything gets pushed up on that bench it has been really good.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bored its raining. Decided to clean up around the work bench. Swept the floor usually good. To find a few pieces of gold. Ended up finding 9 piece"s two were flakes. I thought I had my clean up process. Pretty efficient. So i would not lose any. "NOT" I was going prospecting. But decided not to go. So it worked out good. I just prospected at home. I guess now I will sweep off the bench. Gold is where you find it.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be sure to clean the interior of your prospector-mobile too. Start with a clean shopvac and I predict you'll find more gold!

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good idea Kevin. The real fine stuff. Is hard to keep track of. I try to keep it on the bench. But some how it walks off. Must stick to the classifiers and fall off I guess.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good idea Kevin. The real fine stuff. Is hard to keep track of. I try to keep it on the bench. But some how it walks off. Must stick to the classifiers and fall off I guess.

I think you're exactly right...the gold being soft/malleable gets stuck in classifiers (and other places). I try to treat my gear as if there's gold in it all the time since basically, there is!

PS sorry this is off topic of this thread. I will help stay on topic from here...

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That quite alright Kevin. My goal was to get some feed back on New Hampshire gold. And related topics. Don"t here much about N.H gold. And I know there are more then a few N.H prospectors.Anything In New Hampshire gold related please post here. All comments are welcome.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
THERE"S GOLD IN THE GRANITE "GRANITE STATE THAT IS"

Ok, one hint then: occasionally flip your finer classifiers over, set on a gold pan and rub the back side with a smooth rock or the back of a spoon. This will clear out any material jammed into individual holes in the mesh. Pan the material that falls in your pan of course!

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another good tip Kevin. When I think about it there are a lot of places. Gold can hide and be lost.Even in the bottoms of buckets. The ones that you think are clean. And the fine gold likes to cling to stuff. Just have to put some thought into it.It just becomes part of the hunt. Things like this always happen when I have time to kill.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a pay streak in my drive way. Had a rut from the dumpster truck kept filling it in with my cons. Got a Tom and Perry's mini sluice for clean up was a little skeptical at first till I saw one of the other miners using his. So after I cleaned some cons I figured what the he11 took a couple of shovel fulls got about a dozen pieces of fly poop! More NH. gold.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
N.H I know what you mean. I also have a Tom And Perry mini cleanup sluice.I use it under a blue bowl. What"s left in the blue bowl I usually dump into. The exit tube in the blue bowl. And it lands on the mini sluice.Usually catch some of the smaller pieces I miss in the blue bowl. Im better at panning now so maybe this will help with the cleanups. Less transfers.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to lived in New Hampshire. Great state to search for old coins and buried treasures. Good luck.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my clean up sluice this weekend for my cons didn't feel like panning. Re-ran my cons when I got home didn't miss much first time around but I did get more gold out of my cons. about 40 pieces of flea poop it was that fine. So keep that Tom and Perry's running.

OP
OP
T

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
N.H I see you got a banner. That"s great. Im sure there are others that have great days and years. But this is the area i know about. So I thought you should possibly have a banner.Im glad it happened. That mini sluice works great for me too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread