Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL...not much to look at. Especially taken with a cell phone. The smaller ones are set aside for the tumbler. If I ever find it that is.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

I spied this beauty at 100 feet away in the middle of a gravel bar. Made my heart keep skipping beats as I sprinted over to claim it till I picked it up and it was waaaay too light. :icon_pale: Only one I've ever seen and think it clay mixed with sumthin.

004.jpg

Been out only once so far this season, and it was to an area that is known for gold but has skunked me at every attempt. Worked a low point near the front of a big boulder in an old stream bed...just to try a new approach or two. (Sampling prior was nada anyways). Classified at 1/2 inch and brought home a gallon of material. Soon as I started classifying...I knew it...nuttin but fools gold. :( But did get out on a great sunny day. :icon_thumleft:

005.jpg 006.jpg

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's an awesome looking rock. I am the same way about collecting rocks I almost always leave my creek with pockets of rocks or I stack them on the banks I have a box of them that probably weighs 100 pounds that I have collected over the years. Good luck on your 6 grams hope you get that and more. 🙂

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Jeff. This pan of material I got looks like that rock in your pan might have shed it.

IMG_6649 - Copy.JPG

OP
OP
P

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where I dig it seems the gold is in an orangish layer very similar to the color of that rock and that pan of material. That seems more dirty than rocky and I think my orange comes from pulverized decomposed granite that has oxidized exposed iron.
These are the things I look for lately:
Naturally layered cobblestone
The largest stone on the bar
Black sand deposits
Orangish layer that usually sits right on top of a black layer
concentrations of the black cobblestones as they seem the heaviest

OP
OP
P

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Hey Purp, the ore out here is very "dirty", there is free gold, but its not as common as many other states.
Colorado's ore is mostly sulfide based porphyry.
Here is some quartz vein that is fairly rich.

Attachments

• 1458932527691.jpg
    1458932527691.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
P

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Purp, the ore out here is very "dirty", there is free gold, but its not as common as many other states.
Colorado's ore is mostly sulfide based porphyry.
Here is some quartz vein that is fairly rich.

Thanks for that knowledge Grizz, I've seen dirty deposits of quartz like that on hill sides behind Idaho Springs. I may need to take a rock hammer on my hikes from now on.

OP
OP
P

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459809137.216982.jpg

I went out prospecting and found this rock face on a hillside that was an entire Quartz wall. I took a sample home with me to crush and pan later on.

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very interested in how your rock crushing goes! I've been thinking of doing the same thing and getting one. One time when I was at the at the South Platte Carson Nature Center and I was asking permission to go into a fenced off area that has the BEST looking gravel bar I've ever seen (they didn't let me in), but they told me about a "teaching kids how to goldpan" program they run. According to the lady there was a little girl that found a "quartz rock with a big gold vein it" and "everybody was pretty excited".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions