Colorado Prospecting. South Platte, Clear Creek and Denver.

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time for an update... PART 1 of 2!
I went out to the creek recently and did some test panning on some spots I've been eyeing for awhile. I came across an area with lots of black sand and lots of gold!

panningupdate1.jpg panningupdate2.jpg

Built a dam, got set up and enjoyed digging in some nice sunny weather.

panningupdate3.jpg

This clay was stuck to my shovel from scraping the bottom. Look what's stuck in it!

panningupdate4.jpg

I also found a ring stuck in my grizzlies! Looks like its not silver or gold bummer....

panningupdate5.jpg

Really nice clean out! I haven't weighed it yet as I mixed it with last cleanout and it's been drying out. I'll upload that outing soon.

panningupdate6.jpg

Here are the 5 larger pieces up close. Taken with my stock cell phone camera.

panningupdate7.jpg

I of course went back to that location the very next day! PART 2 of this post coming soon....

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea buddy! Waiting on part 2!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came back the next day and the water flow was significantly higher due to rain. My dam had been over run and rather than build it back up there was enough flow to run the sluice on the side of the creek with minimal retaining rocks. :icon_thumleft:

daytwo1.jpg daytwo2.jpg

I dug for about 2 hours until the rain started coming in. Looks like the little honey hole gave me comparable gold to the first day! wooo!

daytwo3.jpg daytwo4.jpg

Working on my cleanout. -60 on the left and -30 on the right. I think I had my sluice set just right look how much -60 there is!

daytwo5.jpg daytwo6.jpg

Nice! I ended up mixing this cleanout with my last one and and have been playing around with the gold. It's about time I weigh out and I'll update when I do.

daytwo7.jpg

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer gold man. I noticed your using the BGT?

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer gold man. I noticed your using the BGT?

Correct and thanks! This dig was a couple weeks ago and I don't have my GGT yet but I will soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Playing around with the combined gold. Fits nicely on a dime! The total weight was .89g

payout1.jpg payout2.jpg

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking Denver Metro gold! I love the larger pieces you are getting; very nice indeed. I would be going back yet again--and I am guessing you will be doing that.

Dave

Absolutely! I think I dug about a half of that hole so another trip or two out is needed. I actually found another new spot just a few days ago that's maybe a mile or two away from this one. I have the cons from that trip in a jar and as soon as I process those I'll update the thread with that outing. The gold seemed pretty comparable and I can't get it out of my head.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great job search-find-DIG! All on straw creek or did you find another hot spot?

Avindale

Jun 7, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds Shofs, I read your journal and Kevin's website and jumped back into Clear Creek and got some good color! Thanks for the inspiration and information! I made an account just to thank you guys.

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job search-find-DIG! All on straw creek or did you find another hot spot?

All straw creek :) I've been to about 3 other creeks recently to prospect, even one west of Chatfield lake (with permission) that we will have to discuss next time we get together. But none have produced quite the same yet... but I am determined to find one similar. I have high hopes for my "clay creek" and plan on bringing Dennis there soon to further explore it. I would really like to show you too if we ever get a chance! "Crawfish creek" is also in the back of my mind I haven't forgot it!

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Shofs, I read your journal and Kevin's website and jumped back into Clear Creek and got some good color! Thanks for the inspiration and information! I made an account just to thank you guys.

Thats awesome! Just a couple years ago I was the one reading these blogs getting inspired! Enjoy the outdoors, have fun, get some color and I encourage you to start a journal here on tnet. It's not all about gold it's about the journey too!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to hear it Avindale. That's why I do what I do!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread