Visiting Folsom soon, looking for tips or maybe even some company! :)

Hardent

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2015
Carnation, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Everyone!

I'm going to be visiting some of my wife's friends in Folsom from the 23-25th of June and was planning on sneaking away for a day to do some prospecting in the area. I like to putz around where I live, but I rarely find anything of value. It would be pretty exciting to find some decent gold for once! I was hoping there might be some people familiar with the area who would be willing to share some tips. I just want to find somewhere I can go that has decent gold without accidentally wandering on someone's claim. I know there is the Auburn recreation area to the north there, but I can't imagine there's really much left with all the traffic it gets. I hear something about rock creek having some pretty flaky stuff, was wondering if anyone can confirm?

Also, if anyone in the area is looking for some company around that time, I'd love to go out with someone.

Thanks in advance!

Dallasb84

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the late response. I panned much of Folsom lake and found lots of gold with my grandfather in the creeks and tributaries that run into the lake. If you enter the park drive to the opposite side of the lake of the main ramp. That side has tons of little creeks that run into the lake. They all have gold. Even the American River has it. The river used to run much higher so I would imagine it is all over there. It's almost been 20 years since I panned that area so expect things to be different. However. One year the lake went extremely low and we found perfectly round balls of Quartz. One had a little opening that had crystals in it. We busted it in half and found a pocket of quarts with gold pepper all over it. We traded the fragments for stuff at a rock shop in rocklin.

Tons of black sand and fools gold tho!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions