First adventure in prospecting

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After 20 years of wanting to try prospecting, I finally got some gear (and made some) and met Kevin in Colorado at Arapahoe Bar on Clear Creek. Kevin of course was extremely helpful with describing the basic concepts of setting up my sluice (Bazooka 36" sniper) and a good overview of the creek and potential areas to dig. 1st spot was a 'dry' hole - dig down into creek about 18" into gray cobbles, but no gold to speak of. Crossed over to north side and got about half of a 5-gal bucket of material through a #8 classifier and ran that through my sluice. Emptied out the sluice and brought that material home to process. Finished processing yesterday and learned a lot in the process of classifying down with 20, 30, and 50. Wow, a lot of black sand in that material.

Found some color, learned a lot (a lot more to learn!) and met some great people. Looking forward to next day out...

Here are photos of my current collection of gear and color from Arapahoe Bar. Thanks again Kevin!

Prospecting-gear.jpg 1st_gold_10-31-16.jpg 1st_picker_2016.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the addiction. :occasion14:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the shout out Dennis! Good times. Decent gold from that last 1/2 bucket. I love your third picture btw!!

OP
OP
Hunt4gold

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the shout out Dennis! Good times. Decent gold from that last 1/2 bucket. I love your third picture btw!!

I thought the shape of that piece of gold was interesting. Almost a picker but not quite. I spent several years (back in late 1980s through 1990s) as a professional outdoor writer and photographer. Looking forward to photo documenting this new hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread