Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now think the thing we call the deflector (on the underside of the upper deck) is really to cover the drill holes :)

Sniper: Nah, the upper deck is simply 1/4" ABS drilled on edge to fit the grizzly bar. Looks to be drilled by hand as well, as they aren't totally lined up to be completely even, as would happen with a vice/drill press. On my box they are about 90% strait, with a few offset by a millimeter or so, and one really off where the wire pokes through the bottom of the plate.

The "deflector" plate is set back, and is just another small piece of 1/4" ABS glued to the underside of the top deck.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good info thanks! You are inspiring me to inspect mine more closely for evidence of hand drilling.

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing the discussion here. Just the kind of help I was hoping for.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489432405.424586.jpg

In this pict you can just see the rods coming through the deck. Not much there to anchor them. But maybe you don't need much. It's a non moving part, like the rest of the sluice. I did tests with two wrong glues. Crazy glue worked great! JB Weld too! Both held great but the solvent based cement will work much better.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the bottom grizzly pokes through the slick plate but the top is edge drilled. The 1/4 is also filled/cut/grinded a bit, I'm guessing after drilling, but not sure.

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far back from the front edge of the top plate is this "diverter"? I welded a 1/4" bar about 2.5" back...probably to far, but it's just tacked in so easy to change

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Sockeye. It looks pretty close. About one inch. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489509024.826946.jpg .

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm stalled at the moment. The supplier called. The 3/32 plastic is back ordered. Don't know when it coming. Grrrr.

I may use heavier 1/8" but I didn't want to. It's just extra weight and cost. ... But it will get me building.... Cue final Jeopardy music...

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, I'm back in business. I just couldn't wait. Most (84"x48") of a sheet of 1/8" and a full sheet of 1/4". Lets say it's enough for more than one. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489800268.825669.jpg

Also found some stainless steel rods. Too darned expensive. Two 1 foot lengths for $2.50. Twelve bucks for not much more than one sluice. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489800324.792149.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489800348.640462.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489800405.741237.jpg

Most importantly I got to play. I mean test. Drilling Gluing. Jigging. Cutting is coming soon.

Last edited:

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an idea ... have you thought of using welding rod for the grizzlies.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an idea ... have you thought of using welding rod for the grizzlies.

I was going to say...

I can get 304 ss tig rod here for $.50 - $1.00 per 3 ft stick. Like everything else, it's probably cheaper in the lesser 48 :b

Found a sheet of scrap 1/16 aluminum at the shop. I'm going to get building on a sniper sized sluice for backbacking when I get the time :thumbsup:

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys. I'll be getting some. I knew someone suggested welding rod but I had to school myself on what kind.

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok. Here's an update. The build is going well. Prototype sluice is shaping up.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490066753.242915.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490066799.091060.jpg .

The challenges are ahead. Here's a mockup of the drilling jig. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490067002.491208.jpg once the working model is, engineered, we'll be assembling the decks and grizzly.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking Good Goldog!!
Kudos!!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to be drilled and "glued". I use quotes because glue is probably not accurate. Weld or cement may be better. The grizzly is definitely what can make or break the build. Tests this weekend were promising. We'll see.

the holes are drilled into the top deck after it is fit to the box (not glued in yet). The leading edge is flat. A jig is used they are pilot holes. The same thing for the main deck after fitting before being glued in. A template jig is used. those holes are slightly smaller than the rod.

before the top deck is glued in the bevel is put on the leading edge. And the strip glued on.

The grizzly wires are bent on a jig to make them the same. Thr grizz is the last step before the handle and tag were put on.

The holes in the top deck are reamed out to accept the rod. Ff there are any holes its from that step it is done by hand no jig, part already glued to the box. so any angle or to much depth and its a blow out.

There is no glue they are pressed in.

The jig has a row of sleeves to align the pilot bit and keep the spacing

For no good reason it is a step I was never "allowed" to change into a more logical process/step,even though the reaming could have been done before glueing.

Early boxes and some of the last boxes are gonna have issues like that the two guys working on the boxes could give a crap about them at that point. The early boxes were just Todd and he was still figuring out his tooling.

The strip is not in the right spot to hide those mistakes it is there as a deflector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Goldwasher! That's a lot of info. It's almost like you're here in the shop. I just got done drilling all of the holes. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490225385.701082.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490225406.131378.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490225423.163775.jpg

It's getting close. Some adjustments to get things just right.

These boxes really are a work of art. Too bad... reverse engineering the build has helped me see that even more. Just maybe I can carry on that spirt at least a little.

I'm happy so far. It may come out a little rough but most of the hurdles have been cleared and I believe future builds will be smoother.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there any testing to show the deflector is a GOOD thing in real life use?

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am looking at modifying the trap. Now that you brought it up I have considered doubling up the deflector. 1/4" doesn't seem like it would do a lot.

I'm adding a bit of length. Maybe 20-30%. Thinking about some different drilling patterns for the tubes. Obviously this would require more stream testing.l

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookin good goldog!

What size wire are you using? I have some 1/16 that seems too small and some 3/32 that seems too big, lol

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there any testing to show the deflector is a GOOD thing in real life use?
Kevin .. my original design of zook didn't have a deflector but I put one in after some posts on other feeds ... I have since noticed an increase in fine gold retention but have only had 1 day of testing to really say its better. Hopefully will get out a few times next month to test more when I get over my recent minor surgery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread