goldog's fluid head blog.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi my name' Goldog and I'm a fluid head. Been at this prospecting game on and off for many years. I'm starting this journal now because I've decided to setup a build area with all I need to fabricate a bazooka style sluice or two. I'll try to document the progress as well as exchange ideas with the experts here.

I decided it made more sense to go big so I've committed to buying ABS for about eight sluices. First project is a bending table.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a before on a plastic bending table.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489086245.229615.jpg This is most of what's needed to make a strip heater. I've got more plywood for the surface.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489086464.013105.jpg Some different sources of wire. Heating element from an old toaster oven. And some fresh nichrome wire a friend brought up after I scrapped the toaster. I'll use that.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489086495.413246.jpg The transformer.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489086535.612885.jpg wires and the all important spring. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489086601.629691.jpg

Through the magic of YouTube I'm now a expert and should have this done in a matter of minutes. Or at least by Monday.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi my name is Goodyguy
and I am a fluid head.

Very interested in following this thread to see your ingenuity at work :icon_thumleft:
Love it so far.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't do those smiley things on my phone. But --NOT WORTHY-- you're top of the list of "guys on the internet I trust for fabrication advice".

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As for ingenuity, I'm shooting for a clone. More or less. I have a 30" prospector. I'm making 36" so the measurements are close. I've got a pretty good idea of how it was constructed. I think I'll add removable plugs for the tubes. But no real design changes.

The grizzly fabrication worries me a bit. I found steel rods but the thought of bending them concerns me. Attaching them may or may not go smoothly. I'll never know until I try.

Pretty proud that I was able to get the strip heater completely from parts on hand. I'll use the fresh wire but still free.

Last edited:

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add some traps milled into the top deck to catch sands/gold. Goldwasher had a great idea to add a catch without needing to add additional material to the build.

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Goldfleks. That may be an option. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489097636.364332.jpg

Added a strip on mine. A couple riffles milled into the deck may soothe those wanting to see gold. I actually liked mine better without it. I'm sure at least one or two will end up with some sort of inspection area.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Goldfleks. That may be an option.

Added a strip on mine. A couple riffles milled into the deck may soothe those wanting to see gold. I actually liked mine better without it. I'm sure at least one or two will end up with some sort of inspection area.

I like the idea of a drop riffle or two cut into the top deck within 3" of the grizzly. I'm not in favor of an inspection mat for logistical reasons, such as extra expense, difficulty of attachment, slows the flow down plus it's another part to deal with. Better to keep it as simple and cost effective as possible.

Even the idea of a drop riffle nugget trap and smaller drop riffle flake trap would call for a thicker top deck which would add to the production cost.
Also not sure what possible negative effects the drop riffles would create when filled with gravels without field testing first on a prototype to analyze.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's my thing. I wouldn't want to do anything to change the operation. At least for now.

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AOk. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489186196.297742.jpg I was able to mock up a functional bending table. Not done but it works.

An old trac lighting rail seems perfect for the channel. Ceramic ends from the oven worked great as guides for the wire. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489186804.627970.jpg

The spring coiled from the nichrome wire did its job. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489196112.054677.jpg

Blew a fuse on the transformer but otherwise it worked. Even found a piece of plastic to bend.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489186686.581656.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you look close two of the three bends were fails. First bubbled badly. 2nd bent the wrong way. Kinda cracked up. But the third time really is a charm.

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did I leave something on? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489283808.338310.jpg came out at dusk and saw a glow. Had to do a double take. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489283828.054258.jpg . This old clipboard fell victim to my bendy spell this morning. Amazing how it glows even after sundown. This happens to make it a fun test piece.

Grizzly Build
This seems like it will be the most difficult part of the build. I'm fairly clear on how most things were done on the original BGT, but this is an unknown. Drilling all those holes in a straight line sounds like a challenge. Now do it again on the EDGE! Ok I think I can manage this.
Enter the clipboard.
I did some drill tests along the edge. I know it's not ABS and half as thick as the 1/4" deck but I figure if I can do this 3/32 in 1/8" material the real build will be a breeze. Mostly failed but got a couple well centered holes.

Next some drain pipe. Seemed close to quarter inch wall so this is a good test. Much better results. While some test holes tried to run out, if I was careful and didn't go too deep it seemed very doable.

Did a couple tests with steel rods.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drilling into a thin edge is always a challenge. That's where a drill press comes in handy. Or else a drilling template jig that you could build yourself.
You should make one anyway if you plan on doing multiple sluices.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489351715.422613.jpg This stuff is just creepy. Well before dawn this morning, there it is glowing. I think it called to me. 🤡[emoji102]

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Once I get things a little bit picked up I'll post more photos. My first attempt at a jig may work. I got a bit off center. I need a jig to make the jig. [emoji37]

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a genuine bazooka...that how they do the grizzly? Drilled holes through the deck? Are they then sealed with glue or caulk?

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Def think you need a press with a clamp, so you can clamp the top deck piece in and press into the ABS in a straight line. Same with the deck material.

I know the grizzly is one thing that really stood out on some of the home made bazooka's I've seen, the wires were all bent inconsistently.

I think that's one of the major difference between production made for sale, and homemade. Both units might function identically and recover the same amount of gold. but a production made unit just looks professionally built and is clean.

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It seems to be drilled and "glued". I use quotes because glue is probably not accurate. Weld or cement may be better. The grizzly is definitely what can make or break the build. Tests this weekend were promising. We'll see.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I now think the thing we call the deflector (on the underside of the upper deck) is really to cover the drill holes :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread