The Adventures of MrGneissGuy

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's a couple downstream might qualify as a tiny house. Those may prove to be the anchors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finally time for an update from 7/30/17 greybar prospect outing.

This last weekend met up with goldog :notworthy: . Great day prospecting and learning for me. The goldzooka was everything i hoped it would be and more. It chews through material so fast that i was hurting for like 3 days. It has some sweet bells and whistles :headbang: but I need to focus on the end goal and move some more dirt next time. Focus...something goldog reminds me to do every 3 seconds when I go off on a tangent. I think he's a saint by the way...seriously...

Biggest lesson of the weekend is to downsize my gear. I tried to use a makeshift sled which almost worked but ultimately I fell into the river and got literally everything soaking wet including my phone somehow. I also felt like an idiot which I probably needed. I also need to bring more and way better food. Lunchables aren't cutting it anymore. Also, despite what I may or may not have said in another thread somewhere do not bring entire bags of ice. I ended up giving that to some lucky ******* with a sweet cooler. No sodas either, especially glass bottled ones. There did happen to be a cooler at our final destination which was funny though. Goldog is a robot by the way on top of being a saint. Second lesson is to be more aware of rattlesnakes and bears. Luckily all I have to do is outrun goldog though if we run into smokey. I don't want to know what he has up his sleeve though he's crafty that one. Not the bear. Tangents...

Last but not least, and I should preface this by saying that I know how amazing this community is so I'm sure I don't have to say it but you never know, but, everyone should take some trash out of wherever you go. If you are able to physically and safely of course. If everyone makes a small effort to help hopefully we can make a big impact. If you see trash cans being overfilled, especially on a routine basis, try to mention it to a park ranger or something. It might help I duno what else to do.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a few bits of advise stuck. [emoji106]

There were a lot of takeaways. The load was kinda outta hand. So there's that. We (semi)successfully prospected an area that hasn't been dug out ten times over.

Yea. Protect the phone.

To me, getting a good overview, a template, if you will, was very valuable. If my hunch is right there is some good ground in the area. MrGneissGuy's absolutely insatiable appetite for research has brought some things to light.

Nearby history and physical indicators point to some interesting possibilities.

Looking forward to our next trip and have a few goals.

Within twenty yards of our spot there are a dozen trips worth of sampling. Bedrock in every direction, a bench deposit looming above and a line of boulders at stream level that will put the come-along to the test. If that's not enough, we've got leads on some other old workings up the hill.

Where to start?

Access is difficult due to thick growth but thanks to google earth I hope to locate the chinks in the armor.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a few bits of advise stuck. [emoji106]

Access is difficult due to thick growth but thanks to google earth I hope to locate the chinks in the armor.

Don't limit yourself to google earth. I have found that My Land Matters Mining Claims Maps include old, archived aerials that show traces of roads and paths that do not show up on current google earth. Those roads were closed by the forest service years ago, are now overgrown and just barely discernible when I walk them. They have provided me with easier access to areas that I used to have to bushwhack to.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't limit yourself to google earth. I have found that My Land Matters Mining Claims Maps include old, archived aerials that show traces of roads and paths that do not show up on current google earth. Those roads were closed by the forest service years ago, are now overgrown and just barely discernible when I walk them. They have provided me with easier access to areas that I used to have to bushwhack to.:thumbsup:

Ya I've been noticing old pathways being a decent sign of a mine. Every mine requires access which ultimately will form a trail. The bigger the trail the better the gold probably as. These days I look for old trails that appear to be in the middle of nowhere or in a crazy hard to reach spot and that are also fading away due to being overgrown.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can also look for old hand stacks and tailings.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's what I'm after. Looks like some remnants up on the shelf. Gotta get boots on the ground to find out.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm pretty sure our POI is a remnant of old Eldoradoville. What appears to be tailings from the old workings. I also believe I can see pay colored boulders. There should be some workable material if access isn't too difficult.

Big if.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions