Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By arthos
  • 1 Post By GoldpannerDave
  • 3 Post By arthos
  • 1 Post By Assembler
  • 2 Post By 63bkpkr
  • 1 Post By arthos

Thread: Arthos - Adventures in prospecting.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2017
    Lake Elsinore, California
    Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
    142 times
    Prospecting

Arthos - Adventures in prospecting.

Longing the adventures. Today I decided to check out a old prospect site in my local area, visited the remains of an old mill site and ended up with a flat tire! Stumbled across some old junk left behind maybe someone can help identify what I'm looking at.

Unfortunately the tire puncture ended the day, but the following 2 pictures are what I wanted to look at.
    First image is the mill foundation and dump seen in the video.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	1505684
    2nd is where I was hoping to visit. Red circles look like portals, blue are interesting visible Elsinore fault line.

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	1505685
    Skunked68w likes this.

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
    1279 times
    Prospecting
    Interesting looking specimen there you have. Keep us posted on what you find out there in the desert.
    arthos likes this.

us
    Jun 2017
    142 times
    Prospecting

Smile

Well guys I picked up my first detector. Its a Minelab xterra 705 gold. Fairly inexpensive at under 500 dollars. But I can say it does find gold. A couple nuggets located so far and I'm feeling good about the purchase. The Southern California desert still has chunky gold to be found!

Name:	2nd nugget.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	1533450
    delnorter, Assembler and 63bkpkr like this.
    God. Freedom. Natural Rights.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    408 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by arthos View Post
    Well guys I picked up my first detector. Its a Minelab xterra 705 gold. Fairly inexpensive at under 500 dollars. But I can say it does find gold. A couple nuggets located so far and I'm feeling good about the purchase. The Southern California desert still has chunky gold to be found!

Name:	2nd nugget.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	1533450
    Love the picture of the nice nuggets. Thanks
    arthos likes this.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    408 times
    Prospecting
    The first object (or one of the first) is a type of battery with the carbon center. Many of the other objects are connected to engines or trucks / cars say 40's - 50's time frame.

us
    Jun 2017
    142 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Assembler View Post
    The first object (or one of the first) is a type of battery with the carbon center. Many of the other objects are connected to engines or trucks / cars say 40's - 50's time frame.
    Correct. I figured that out once i got it home and spent some time looking at it.!

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    3454 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hi Arthos,
    First, thank you for sharing with us and the video/pictures are great as we love pictures!

So you understand what the battery is all about. Blasting caps come in two variety's, electrical and old school burning fuse. Either type are roughly 1/4" outside diameter and roughly 2.5" in length. The electrical type has two wires coming out of it while the fuse type has hollow up to the explosive charge. The electrics can be set off due to static charge and either are dangerous as crushing could cause them to go off, either will easily blow a hole into a shoe! The Fuse type requires a fuse and a crimping pliers for forming the hole for the cap in the dynamite stick, cutting off a length of fuse(typically black, waterproof and burns accurately depending on the rating of each fuse type) - Insert the clean fresh cut end of the fuse into the cap till it bottoms out on the charge and crimp the top of the cap around the fuse. IF one does not follow the above procedure carefully it is possible the cap will not go off (a hang fire) requiring one to remove the stick of dynamite form its hole and to perform the procedure all over again. Having had ONE hang fire in my life I do not ever want to experience a second, at any moment it could explode ending ones life.

Your detected nuggets are Fantastic and among the best (actually better than) of the detected items I've personally detected! Seems like you and your machine will have a long good life together. What coil or coils do you have for it. I think the company Nel Coils produces after market coils for your unit.

You have an interesting location though due to its size it will take time to determine its possibilities. Use every helping hand Ma nature offers to assist you in your adventure, gullies/side canyons/bare rock outcroppings etc. Best of success................63bkpkr
    arthos and Assembler like this.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Jun 2017
    142 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 63bkpkr View Post
    Hi Arthos,
    First, thank you for sharing with us and the video/pictures are great as we love pictures!

So you understand what the battery is all about. Blasting caps come in two variety's, electrical and old school burning fuse. Either type are roughly 1/4" outside diameter and roughly 2.5" in length. The electrical type has two wires coming out of it while the fuse type has hollow up to the explosive charge. The electrics can be set off due to static charge and either are dangerous as crushing could cause them to go off, either will easily blow a hole into a shoe! The Fuse type requires a fuse and a crimping pliers for forming the hole for the cap in the dynamite stick, cutting off a length of fuse(typically black, waterproof and burns accurately depending on the rating of each fuse type) - Insert the clean fresh cut end of the fuse into the cap till it bottoms out on the charge and crimp the top of the cap around the fuse. IF one does not follow the above procedure carefully it is possible the cap will not go off (a hang fire) requiring one to remove the stick of dynamite form its hole and to perform the procedure all over again. Having had ONE hang fire in my life I do not ever want to experience a second, at any moment it could explode ending ones life.

Your detected nuggets are Fantastic and among the best (actually better than) of the detected items I've personally detected! Seems like you and your machine will have a long good life together. What coil or coils do you have for it. I think the company Nel Coils produces after market coils for your unit.

You have an interesting location though due to its size it will take time to determine its possibilities. Use every helping hand Ma nature offers to assist you in your adventure, gullies/side canyons/bare rock outcroppings etc. Best of success................63bkpkr
    I just have the stock 18khz 6x10" double D Coil. Seems to work fairly good. Those nuggets were found in bedrock cracks on exposed bedrock in a stream bed. Different location from the above video. I'll look into the Nel Coils thanks for that tip!
    mrmanpig1 likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links