Buying my first claim. Any do’s or dont’s?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BLM kicked all kinds of people off of their claims in the '70's because they were not actually working them.

Really? All kinds?

There is no political opinions in this. Don't be so crusty.
The blm does what they want and they don't need a reason, you should know this.

Last edited:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also of note...If you haven't proven your claim...and happen to live say several states away....

And BLM decides to challenge your validity.. it can be pretty hard to pass the prudent man rule.

BLM kicked all kinds of people off of their claims in the '70's because they were not actually working them.

Yes you are right but it seems every year BLM manages to visit me while I am working the claim I only have water for a few weeks a year. The Rangers are starting to just smile and wave as they pass by now.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You didn't file a transfer of interest with the BLM? What did you have to record with the county?

You can't locate a claim by coordinates. Claims can only be located by aliquot part or metes and bounds legally. Your GPS can't do either of those.

Heavy Pans

The seller did all that for me. I recorded a quit claim deed with the county recorder. GPS was just make sure the markers were correct. Now that I have seen all the legal beagle stuff, I could do it my self. Every state is different. Somebody else can post a list of things to do to secure a mining claim.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, really.

Just because you don't know about something it can still have happened.

Yes. a lot of claims were invalidated during the early seventies to the Eighties all the way up to today for that very reason. Bunk Claiming!!! There was an influx of people in the late 1960's to the deserts and mountains onto Public Lands. To get away. Many knew you could locate claims and it "kinda" made it "your land" "sorta"

The Manson family was one. They actually lived in another Canyon besides the Barker Ranch and the old film set they were at.

Many draft dodgers and other "hippies" did the same.

People filed claims and lived in old cabins.

The BLM (late seventies early eighties) and F.S. kicked quite a few " a lot" "many" "several" "numerous" people off of those claims by invalidating them for lack of actual discovery , inability to show prudence etc.

Back then it was protested as their "rights" being taken away. Some of the first " Mining Rights" protests were related to it.

The F.S. and BLM were right in a lot of those cases as the people were squatting not mining or prospecting.

I'm not crusty. I'm well read.

OP
OP
OneStudPuppy

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Sdc 2300, gold monster 1000 gpx 6000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The records go back to 1976. I have the full database of all claims on my system. Updated twice a month. :thumbsup:

He didn't get the claim "back" from anyone in 2016. That claim was closed by the BLM for not providing a copy of their Notice of Intent public recording.

The claim he is offering for sale is less than a year and a half old. He made a new claim the day after the old claim was closed September 2016. The new claim has a different name but it's in the same location.

Do a search for his name (customer report) on the LR2000 and you can see what he did.

Heavy Pans
Will check this out, and again thank you. For everything.
I’m using this case as a way now to learn lr2000 a lot more.
Hands on learning always works better for me.

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep I tend to agree with those who have voiced err typed what they thought ...As a former claim owner/club claims agent, hubs has claims-Do your research/homework before purchasing any claim. A friend just bought a claim supposedly with a lot of gold on it , well he found out differently. Poor guy...
Have you joined any gold club other than GPAA ? I am not gonna knock them but not my cuppa tea after dealing with them for a few years. Gold clubs have many really knowledgeable people and people who can help you with buying a claim/claim information. If you are friendly with BLM (as I am with our Geologist @ BLM-He's a great guy) he or she maybe to help you out as well. Forums such as this are a great way to gather information, library books and clubs, maybe even a neighbor who gold pans maybe able to help if they are knowledgeable. Good luck in your search for the ever elusive claim-its out there but do research/homework on it first :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
OneStudPuppy

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Sdc 2300, gold monster 1000 gpx 6000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I tend to agree with those who have voiced err typed what they thought ...As a former claim owner/club claims agent, hubs has claims-Do your research/homework before purchasing any claim. A friend just bought a claim supposedly with a lot of gold on it , well he found out differently. Poor guy...
Have you joined any gold club other than GPAA ? I am not gonna knock them but not my cuppa tea after dealing with them for a few years. Gold clubs have many really knowledgeable people and people who can help you with buying a claim/claim information. If you are friendly with BLM (as I am with our Geologist @ BLM-He's a great guy) he or she maybe to help you out as well. Forums such as this are a great way to gather information, library books and clubs, maybe even a neighbor who gold pans maybe able to help if they are knowledgeable. Good luck in your search for the ever elusive claim-its out there but do research/homework on it first :icon_thumleft:
Only GPAA so far, main interest was access to claims. While they may have chapters and all until I Get my work schedule modified I’m a 7 day a week rat race runner. 10am to 7pm. Hasn’t allowed me the most time for life in past 6 years. I’m suffering serious burn out lol!
But soon I’ll be panning here n there on days off.
Interesting finds today on more of the history of the claim I was looking at
From ebay broker, to party, defaulted to new party.
I’d even thought about taking my AT GOLD detector until I read and remembered this area is loaded with lead.
Years of being used for target practice haha, makes me wonder will lead out Number gold 5 to 1 haha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread