Homebrew prospecting equipment

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Sdc 2300, gold monster 1000 gpx 6000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let’s start this journal as “drier tube sluice 1”
I’ve been searching for some ideas and reading up on miller tables, the GPAA super mini fine gold sluice. Using a loupe I’ve noticed some of my black sand I’ve saved from many pans still shows some micro / small gold. I enjoy tinkering so I’ve now come up with a idea I am going to try.
While at Home Depot picking up tubs to teach the kids panning from a full pan to working down to the black sands only I had a thought, corigated pipe with the ripples for drainage etc. after talking with a few employees and being walked around in a few circles nothing. I asked for their most knowledgeable worker when it comes to pipes/tubes etc, he gets what im looking for idea wise right away. They don’t really carry that type of pipe anymore, the ones they did carry were 25 foot, 50 and 100. Then he has a idea, drier tubes! We walk over one stretches to about 4 feet the other 10, it’s a flexing aluminum tube as it’s flexed the ridges form and they don’t get to big.

So thought as of now, friend has a pump from a fish tank he isn’t using, I picked up the drier tube, now I am debating finding a pipe of similar round size Aprox 4 inches. As a Support for the mini sluice and a few attachment points along to keep it from shrinking back to the compressed size. Also water flow control I will have to figure something out, I think the pump may be a 600 GPH I need to see and verify.
My other thought and hope that the aluminum tube still allows gold to be seen easier without washing out in contrasted visibility.
I will probably make a YouTube video of this success or failure either way.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The HDs here have it. Have you tried the larger lumber yards or plumbing supplies? Or some of the landscape contractors.
try calling the contractors first and offer to buy their "drops", they'll probably just give you a piece. Dryer vent tube is really thin. go down the AC isle & look for the flex duct pipe I think you'll like it better.

OP
OP
OneStudPuppy

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The HDs here have it. Have you tried the larger lumber yards or plumbing supplies? Or some of the landscape contractors.
try calling the contractors first and offer to buy their "drops", they'll probably just give you a piece. Dryer vent tube is really thin. go down the AC isle & look for the flex duct pipe I think you'll like it better.

Good point, the drops. Usually tossed or piled.
I was at Home Depot but it was the last 45 min before closing.
The first Home Depot didn’t have the tubs.
I’ll see when I can get there again and check the ac isle, maybe give my local one a shot.
And yea I agree the drier duct material is thin as heck. But designed for its purpose lol
I will have to see what’s around here contractor store wise, over time a lot have went belly up around here.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, just buy a Tee Dee easy sluice or a small Angus drop riffle.

Drier tubes are made for driers.

Black corrugated drainage tube works but, not as well as a real sluice.

The drainage tube is normally in the outside garden area at HD.

But, seriously just buy a sluice

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2X on a Angus sluice

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, just buy a Tee Dee easy sluice or a small Angus drop riffle.

Drier tubes are made for driers.

Black corrugated drainage tube works but, not as well as a real sluice.

The drainage tube is normally in the outside garden area at HD.

But, seriously just buy a sluice
Your advice is spot on! But that takes away the "I made that" factor and that's just no fun at all. Who knows he might discover the next super duper thingie everyones gotta have! Did the guys that invented the Tee Dee or Angus Macgurks < probably spelled wrong just go buy the other guys?

Still your advice is spot on.

OP
OP
OneStudPuppy

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll look into those, but yea as of now it’s a tinker and see what happens haha.
My main issue with ideas and goofy things to try is a lack of free time haha.
I’ve got a regular sized sluice.

Last edited:

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ah, the old "poop tube" sluice. There are lots of videos on Youtube about this. Home Depot has flexible gutter downspouts that work well for what you're trying to do. Much better than dryer ducting, anyway. It works better than corrugated sewer pipe because the riffles are directional. Cut it in half and you have two sluices for under $10. It needs to be supported though, so set it into a three or four inch ABS pipe to keep it straight. This was what I did before I had any real equipment and it wasn't bad.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/downspout%20extension?NCNI-5

downspout-extensions-85010-64_1000.jpg

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"pooptube" sluices are made from RV holding tank drain hose, you can it almost anywhere RV supplies are sold. I used a downspout extension like Hamfist posted, I had one laying around. It was a spur of the moment thing I was too lazy to pan out my dredge cons but too lazy to set up my spiral wheel. cut a slit out of it lengthwise with a box knife and nailed it to a 2x4. Works well but you need to clean it out often.

OP
OP
OneStudPuppy

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, the old "poop tube" sluice. There are lots of videos on Youtube about this. Home Depot has flexible gutter downspouts that work well for what you're trying to do. Much better than dryer ducting, anyway. It works better than corrugated sewer pipe because the riffles are directional. Cut it in half and you have two sluices for under $10. It needs to be supported though, so set it into a three or four inch ABS pipe to keep it straight. This was what I did before I had any real equipment and it wasn't bad.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/downspout%20extension?NCNI-5

View attachment 1562011
ah ha! There is something a lot closer!
Like this idea, And material strength would be a lot better.

I’ll look into those, but yea as of now it’s a tinker and see what happens haha.
My main issue with ideas and goofy things to try is a lack of free time haha.
I’ve got a regular sized sluice.

"pooptube" sluices are made from RV holding tank drain hose, you can it almost anywhere RV supplies are sold. I used a downspout extension like Hamfist posted, I had one laying around. It was a spur of the moment thing I was too lazy to pan out my dredge cons but too lazy to set up my spiral wheel. cut a slit out of it lengthwise with a box knife and nailed it to a 2x4. Works well but you need to clean it out often.
Yup, my spiral wheel generated some of this black too.
Panned it out from lousy pay dirt. This is becoming a fun thread and will be more fun when hands on.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like my spiral wheel a lot, when set up properly it really works. I want to build a new stand for it, running it in the tub it came in with the little tailings tub is limiting when you have several gallons concentrate to deal with. I was thinking the corrugated pipe sluice would make a good chute to carry waste material away from the wheel.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

craig82

Jan 22, 2018
az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
haha thanks kevin. figured it was garbage. just a bored sunday afternoon thing to do. never tried it as i came across a proper sluice shortly after. btw i'm loving your prospector blog and looking forward to the book.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just find some V-mat if you really want to make your own. A little silicone, v-matting (check on the back of some welcome mats and stuff) and some aluminum and do just fine. This is one i made from some scrap steel and some cheap v-mat i found somewhere. Forgot where i got it but the whole thing couldn't have cost me more than 12 bucks.

20160401_162031.jpg

OP
OP
OneStudPuppy

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just find some V-mat if you really want to make your own. A little silicone, v-matting (check on the back of some welcome mats and stuff) and some aluminum and do just fine. This is one i made from some scrap steel and some cheap v-mat i found somewhere. Forgot where i got it but the whole thing couldn't have cost me more than 12 bucks.

View attachment 1566786
Nice very nice!
It get the sub 100 ish? I have some black sands and all I need to
Classify, when inspected closely I see small gold in it. I also have found my disappointing paydirt does have a slight but more gold in it, but not much black sands at all. It’s a fun learning curve so far, but gets to be a certain size and a pan just isn’t cutting it. Now I see why people rerun paydirt and concentrates.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
004.JPG
Blue Bowl I made out of junk lying around.And it works :)

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1569570
Blue Bowl I made out of junk lying around.And it works :)

Do you have a video of it in action? I've never used a blue bowl but I understand the spinning water is what makes it work? Is it the bowl spinning or the water coming in causing the spin?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a video of it in action? I've never used a blue bowl but I understand the spinning water is what makes it work? Is it the bowl spinning or the water coming in causing the spin?

Dont have a video.If you look close you'll see the water in the clear hose at 6 o clock in the pix.And see the water spinning at 1to2 o clock in the bowl. It Works good.The pan is a angel cake baking pan.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a better shot a 600 GPH submersible pump in the lower blue container recirculates the water.Inline valve controls water flow. 002.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread