Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Prospector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1862 times
    Don't want leave you-all hanging,
    Good to see your likes back Au, take it easy buddy n heal.

Got a pic of some rocks from my trip up, only one looked promising, was the big piece and it was found at the old timer stack rock.

So it's a pretty good example of what he found on the surface, that excited him into digging here.
    I would of dug in on this type of rock also, not to the extent he did.

Next trip up is going to be a bit, I gave my new boots to a youngster in need of something to walk in.
    And I got some work to do.

It was still a bit hot walk-in out of the hills so it will be cooler when I start back at it.
    Anyways I'm pretty sure this was the work of Ole Long.

Couldn't ever find paper work from him, I did find one can in a stack rock, was so old the paperwork was just flakes n dust.
    I assumed it was his, I never really found any other miner stuff from the time, 1800s.
    And his is the only story I ever heard of about a miner in these hills.

Also I think he was a placer miner, this would help explain this diggings here at this spot to me as a hard rock miner I probably wouldn't have done this much work without seeing yellow.

When I was coming out the other day I spied some workings, or what I believe to be, I've been fooled by bushes before.
    Up high on the hill, really dark lookin area along a bunch of rock sticking out, I think it had diggins about it but won't be able to tell till I gets up to it for inspections.

Will ramble a bit later about the next trail in or up you never know with me.
    Gt.....

Attachment 1631022
    DizzyDigger, Aufisher and Seden like this.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1862 times
    You-all had some time to look up stuff about L.O.Longs lost gold tale.

Let's hear it, maybe I can get a lead from youall. So feel free to post some of this story.
    Thanks.

Gt.......
    Aufisher likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10053 times
    Prospecting
    Lead

Heavy Pans

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1862 times
    Attachment 1632163

I think this is the right age to belong to Long, maybe somebody can positive date for me.
    Even if my shot shell isn't old enough, Im sure I found the mine.

How does one positive I'd the age of burro shoes ?
    Thanks for input.

More ramblings,

gosh I've walked just about every foot of the mnt over there. Could only find one 1800s camp ?
    Wonder if the original story's got confused a little, like a small brush less canyon.
    Or maybe the dates are off.

For that matter lest we see the letters it's all speculation, no different than my story.
    Heck don't even know how old the guy was?

How can l prove his death happened ?

I know what I found, evidence is there, time dates aren't right ?
    Guess I start the hike back over that part of the mnt, Put thee wraps on this journey.

Thanks again for info all input welcomed.
    Guess youall figured out I'm fine tuning my book.
    Gt...
    Last edited by gold tramp; Sep 15, 2018 at 09:18 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4157 times
    Prospecting
    GT,

The only thing I can think of on the burro shoes is to see if they have hammer marks from being forged.

According to what I could find, the shotgun shell you posted was made from 1894 to 1904. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Mad Machinist; Sep 14, 2018 at 11:17 PM.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1862 times
    Got carried away with the whole long story again.

Getting ready to hit the hills, that spot I mentioned in my earlier writins, is probably where I'm heading to.
    Once I see a spot it kinda bothers me till I chk it out, rather than walk by it on my way in, I think I go up and see what's there.

Was a bit of oldtimer prospecting in this area, there's a couple reddish hills ?

Up the steep slope of the mnt there's a decent sized dig?

I don't remember going to this hole so we must visit, I will probably realize I been there before when I hit the edge of the dig, after the hike up.

will get some samples and pics of this stuff.

This area would be the front of the mnt, at the roads end off to the west, anyways this will be the next area I prospect.
    More ramblings later.
    Gt....

Attachment 1632783
    Attachment 1632778Attachment 1632780

Well took those 2 pieces and all the crumbs I could round up, did a quick smelt, here's the results.
    Hot gold floating on glass, top side, bottom side fresh out the fire.
    Gets me a brand new pair boots !

Apologies for not having nuggets or specie gold, my kinda hardrock doesn't afford much course stuff. No trophy gold or meteorite yet !
    Hope you enjoy the show
    Gt.....
    Last edited by gold tramp; Sep 16, 2018 at 02:19 PM.
    wildminer and Mad Machinist like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    22378 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi.
    gold tramp likes this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Charter Member
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4157 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gold tramp View Post
    Got carried away with the whole long story again.

Getting ready to hit the hills, that spot I mentioned in my earlier writins, is probably where I'm heading to.
    Once I see a spot it kinda bothers me till I chk it out, rather than walk by it on my way in, I think I go up and see what's there.

Was a bit of oldtimer prospecting in this area, there's a couple reddish hills ?

Up the steep slope of the mnt there's a decent sized dig?

I don't remember going to this hole so we must visit, I will probably realize I been there before when I hit the edge of the dig, after the hike up.

will get some samples and pics of this stuff.

This area would be the front of the mnt, at the roads end off to the west, anyways this will be the next area I prospect.
    More ramblings later.
    Gt....

Attachment 1632783
    Attachment 1632778Attachment 1632780

Well took those 2 pieces and all the crumbs I could round up, did a quick smelt, here's the results.
    Hot gold floating on glass, top side, bottom side fresh out the fire.
    Gets me a brand new pair boots !

Apologies for not having nuggets or specie gold, my kinda hardrock doesn't afford much course stuff. No trophy gold or meteorite yet !
    Hope you enjoy the show
    Gt.....
    A good pair of boots can save your life brother. Was almost snakebit this morning at my house. 14" Mojave got stuck in my boot. Not big enough to eat but big enough to put me in my grave. He got the blade treatment and the garbage can. Can't say enough about having a good knife on ya at all times in the desert.
    Last edited by Mad Machinist; Sep 16, 2018 at 05:04 PM.
    rodoconnor, gold tramp and et1955 like this.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1862 times
    Yes good knife, most important a backup set of L rods, just in case the heat of meteorite hunting gets to the first set.

Went to weigh my nibb of gold, my dadgum batteries were dead in my scale, no batteries, towns 20 miles, no wheels.
    What to do?
    Breakout the old Henry.
    You guys gotta figure out the weight, no prize.

Attachment 1633517

More ramblings later
    Will try not to complain about my feet n new boots !
    Gt.........
    Last edited by gold tramp; Sep 18, 2018 at 12:37 PM.
    Mad Machinist likes this.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1862 times
    Dog broke toenail, I didn't bother to chk see if she needed trim job after a lazy summer at Claudette mill.
    Feel kinda bad it was smoothed over with a couple hotdogs, although she ain't hiking with me for a few.
    Gold bug, honey bug oughta the game, hope it's not a bad karma run coming.

Anyways I gots the lapidary claw right now been cutting and grinding some of the stuff I've picked up in the past.
    Also saved a bunch of nice ore that is hard enough to take a Polish.
    Some has gold specks, wish I could of found some quartz with gold in it for cabochons.

Have to see what my ore slabs polish like, anyways havnt forgot about the mnt, just tied up Workin stones.

You probably thought I was gonna complain about my boots.!

Few pieces of ore slab n cab with gold specks, trouble is they sand out!
    When I polish I will share pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181001_144932.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	696.9 KB 
ID:	1638198
    Note
    Stuff showing gold would be oz ton, if it was better than one ounce they be some gorgeous stones.
    Will be cutting a bunch more ore tomorrow so more pics coming.

Gt....
    Last edited by gold tramp; Oct 01, 2018 at 05:11 PM.
    DizzyDigger likes this.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1862 times
    Cut much ore but really didn't get any thing good, it was fractured much, so even as I cut it would just go to pieces, I think I ended up with 4 or so slabs that might work into something good, I just like trying new stuff and even though most of the ore stones will have a undesirable finish, these are my trophy gold.

Anyways it's something different, but still gold related, have to wait n see when there done, art stuff.

I should be takin a break from the grinder here another day or so, my fingers are ground down pretty good feels like I have been placer mining for 3 months barehanded.

Will be headin back up the mnt start lookin again, still haven't got a bleeper, was gonna trade my fatty nibb of gold for one but it didn't weigh but 10 grms not enough for minelab technology.

Don't really have alot of open decent gold ground to hit up around here anyways, so if I had a minelab, sad to say I would be tempted to overgraze, in bleeping you can only go over the same ground so many times Before it become obvious nothing there.

So I'm not in a hurry to get a bleeper think I just go walk-in and do some thinking bout my buddy Long, there's something I'm missing just can't figure it out.

Anyways thanks for dealing with my on and off again weirdness, I am actually afflicted with GOLDFEVER.
    No further explanation needed.
    Gt....

Name:	IMG_20181004_171934.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	495.4 KB 
ID:	1639317
    Rough cut ore pieces.

Name:	IMG_20181006_105112.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	490.4 KB 
ID:	1639518
    Here's some of my grade 2 rocks,
    Agate,obsidian,jade, pet wood, most of it local, from my years of prospecting it's the interesting rocks that I wish I didn't pack out, now I'm happy I did !!!!!!
    Last edited by gold tramp; Oct 06, 2018 at 01:20 PM.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5643 times
    Prospecting
    Herb, those 4 stones are beautiful...nice work!

BTW, not sure I ever told ya, but my wife does custom bead
    jewelry, and she's got quite a following in the local area. I've
    seen her use stones like that in the past.

Gonna have her check out those 4 and see if she like's 'em.
    If so, you may have a new customer to add to your list..

BTW, what happened to your bleeper? You try whacking a rattler
    with it?
    Last edited by DizzyDigger; Oct 05, 2018 at 03:42 PM.
    Duckwalk and gold tramp like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1862 times
    Thanks for lookin at my stuff, trying to get the online rock shop thing going, was a minin last season only got 3oz for 8 month work, it was hard as heck just to scrape that up , so on the skinny here for a bit.

That's prospecting sometimes you hit it good most times eat dirt, more so if your a desert miner in my neck of the woods, it never really has been that good here,
    I'm mean not like up north, Imagine 3months on the river man I would fill a pan.

Another day of stone grinding, finally finishing the rough cutting, will be switching to the sanding so I can get my stones on a dopp stick as much as possible, keep my finger tips intact, they are might sore as I've been grinding a good week solid.

I keep waking up early for the hike but that dadgum tumbler noise out in the shop, gets me thinking bout rocks, and just like i get lost out in the prospect, the beauty of the stone calls me in.

Something about polishing rock you kinda get lost in the moment, a whole day can roll by in what seems like an hour.
    With each stone It kinda takes me back to the day of the find, kinda fun thinking back, I'm like i knew this would be a good rock, big smile.

Anyways when I've had enough stone cutting will get back to the mnt.

Dizzy my bleeper rode on my shoulder for 20 years or better , and many miles of ground covered didnt get as much as some of the locals here did bleepin, but then again they didn't get as much as I did hardrockin.

Gt......

Name:	IMG_20180916_103341.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	320.4 KB 
ID:	1639736
    My last dore button from the season.

Name:	IMG_20180916_125315.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	1639738
    Little over 20, Mitchells ole Henry,
    Only thing I got left from the mission mining days.
    Last edited by gold tramp; Oct 07, 2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Pic troubles again
    Clay Diggins and DizzyDigger like this.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1862 times
    A look inside of a green chlorite phantom, not gold but found in the gold fields.
    Hope you enjoy.
    Gt.....

Name:	IMG_20181012_194010.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	1641618

Name:	IMG_20181012_194149.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	1641619

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1862 times
    Just had us a good rain here, cleaned my ore piles up,
    Lookin them over kinda gave me the fever.

Think I just be lazy for a bit start the mill up and run off the Cobb piles ( lowgrade ) it wil be a skinny run, just can't bring myself to throw the stuff away.

Maybe I can get enough gold from millin, trade for a new gold bug original,
    Anyways I'm Workin on bunch of stone shaping n polishing hoping to sell some stuff locally.

So I might just scrap the hike n start millin,
    That brown stuff in that pile gets me excited.

Dug this stuff more for the scant chrysocolla for polishing, was hoping to get gold flecks in it as it carries.

Name:	IMG_20181013_075330.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	1641807
    Culled the best blue and it's being slabbed right now, so we see in a few days if it was worthy.

Name:	IMG_20181013_075420.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	1641809
    Cactus garden rock no values.

More ramblings later.
    Gt.....
    Last edited by gold tramp; Oct 14, 2018 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Bad eyes, spelling to many picture problems
    mytimetoshine likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links