Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: The Quest for Maine Gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    420 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by placertogo View Post
    If you happen to be in an area where removal of moss is not allowed, wait until after the water has receded and the moss has dried out, use a portable cordless vacuum to remove the dry dirt from the moss, leaving the moss in place. You will recover most of the retained gold that way.
    I am not sure, as I have never looked into that particular law.

Do you know if the removal of moss is based on designation of a stream status, or is it just in individual streams, or streams included in a given watershed?

us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    309 times

The Quest for Maine Gold

Quote Originally Posted by OreCart View Post
    I am not sure, as I have never looked into that particular law.

Do you know if the removal of moss is based on designation of a stream status, or is it just in individual streams, or streams included in a given watershed?
    According to Title 38 MRSA Section 480-q "5. Gold panning. Notwithstanding section 480-C, a permit shall not be required for panning gold, provided that stream banks are not disturbed and no unlicensed discharge is created;" it basically says we cannot disturb "stream banks" so I would say unless the moss is on a bank, we are okay. The moss which carries most of the gold is on boulders which are within the travel of the stream during high water and are high and dry after the water has receded. It is generally accepted you can remove or disturb cobbles which are within the stream bed. In some streams, nearly all of the cobbles are covered by moss. The intent of the law is clearly to not remove vegetation which retains the integrity of the stream banks. So we wait for a good flood and then it is the water, not the prospector, which erodes the stream banks.
    Last edited by placertogo; May 22, 2019 at 09:26 AM.
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    420 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by placertogo View Post
    According to Title 38 MRSA Section 480-q "5. Gold panning. Notwithstanding section 480-C, a permit shall not be required for panning gold, provided that stream banks are not disturbed and no unlicensed discharge is created;" it basically says we cannot disturb "stream banks" so I would say unless the moss is on a bank, we are okay. The moss which carries most of the gold is on boulders which are within the travel of the stream during high water and are high and dry after the water has receded. It is generally accepted you can remove or disturb cobbles which are within the stream bed. In some streams, nearly all of the cobbles are covered by moss. The intent of the law is clearly to not remove vegetation which retains the integrity of the stream banks. So we wait for a good flood and then it is the water, not the prospector, which erodes the stream banks.
    Or just say that the Moose must have licked off the moss! :-)

Of course in Maine, the only way you can tell the women-folk from moose is that the former wear plaid! If you do not believe me, you should see my ex-wife! (Katie is a bit different, she looks pretty good in her plaid miniskirt, but only if you like the Naughty School Girl look!) LOL

I have used your same methodology to skirt land clearing laws before. I can do anything I want if it is in regards to logging, but if the land is to be used for farming, stumps cannot be removed in forested wetlands.

So I logged off all the hardwood, and pushed the stumps out...for logging roads of course, but left only the big softwoods...big hemlock in this case. But with clear-cut all around, the wind slammed into those big trees now catching all the wind, and soon the were blown over by the wind and uprooted. The laws on recovering "windfalls" goes back to antiquity, so that is allowed. Nope: I never stumped the area, the wind did!

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    420 times
    Prospecting
    I take a lot of pictures when I am out and about, but of course do not always post them.

This particular stream is in some really old growth forest. It is about 2 miles from the nearest road, so it makes logging tough, but I did log that area back in 1994. It is hard to make money pulling wood that far, but it was good wood, making it profitable. I snapped a lot of main cables trying to get all the wood I could on behind the skidder though. But all that old growth really makes for some moss, not to mention being on the Northeast side of the mountain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0682.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	1715249

Name:	DSCN0683.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	1715250

Name:	DSCN0684.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	1715251

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    420 times
    Prospecting
    I guess technically this is a Non-Update because I have nothing to report.

My interest in searching for Gold has not wavered, but after some serious decision making, Katie and I decided that we wanted to free up some cash. Katie and I are both "givers", and lately with everything just sitting, we have not really been able to help our community out like we used to. Property taxes are killing us, and we want to do some vacations as a family before our kids leave the nest, so we decided to sell two of our houses.

Selling one is bad enough, but two means a "lot of polishing", so I have been just inundated with doing odd jobs to get things ready to sell. So I have just not had time to go out looking for where the gold is.

Hopefully they will sell pretty quick, and I can resume the search, maybe even investing in some equipment to start getting the gold out of the ground. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...wash plant! :-)
    Last edited by OreCart; Jun 04, 2019 at 06:11 PM.
    triple d likes this.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links