Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: The Quest for Maine Gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    422 times
    Prospecting

The Quest for Maine Gold

A 9th Generational Farmer, my story begins in 1849 when my Great Uncles, many times removed; went to California in the search for gold. They never realized it, but they should have stayed home. A few years later, in the swimming hole they used on hot summer days here in Maine, held gold.

Myself, my interest in prospecting started about three years ago when the town decided to improve a road, and blasted a cut through bedrock. Upon seeing the quartz it did not take a brain surgeon to figure out that if gold was found in the stream at the bottom of the mountain, and potential gold bearing quartz was found at the top, then somewhere in between lay some gold deposits.

But 2500 acres is a lot of land, and this is Maine; steep, forested and not a lot of roads to access it. But with difficulty comes potential. Always farmers, and always owning the land from 1746 to today, it was never surveyed. I was not about to set off blindly to go search for the gold, I needed a plan.

(Continued)

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    422 times
    Prospecting
    Always enjoying geology along with my wife Katie, when the State was doing Bedrock Mapping here, they asked if they could access our land. I was more than willing, and learned a lot from the geologists.

The first was, our geology is strange here. There is a very narrow band of land, perhaps 3 miles wide, where the earth was pushed upwards by volcanic action. Even the geologists was surprised to find it. But having lived here all my life, the geology here is really all I know. Yes, there are gold bearing locations in Maine, but my land is nowhere near them which motivates me to actually find gold, because no one even knows it is here. For that reason I do not care about the placer gold that is here, for right now anyway, I want to find the lode gold.
    Bodkin, mytimetoshine and embrym like this.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    422 times
    Prospecting
    But I am a farmer, and we plan by using maps.

Over the last three years I have used Google Earth, topographical maps, LIDAR, watershed, and bedrock mapping to slowly follow from where the placer gold was discovered in the 1800's, upstream. I have also talked with numerous geologists, surveyors and foresters to get an idea where to look. Another great resource has been my own families archive, a great Uncle stating that "him and his chum brother drove a lead and copper mine 10 feet deep, and 115 feet underground.

Knowing where that is, and calculating all that in, along with all the other information, I was honing in on a few areas.
    embrym likes this.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    422 times
    Prospecting
    The two weeks ago I started my first trip out into the woods with the sole purpose of looking for gold. You could say that was the real start of my journey into prospecting.

I had actually intended to check a stream for placer gold in an attempt to move further up the mountainside, but the truth is, I am pretty sick. I just do not have the stamina I used to, and as frustrating as it is, I experience a lot of set-backs. My dire is to reach this goal; in this case, a certain stream before winter set in, but I just could not get there. Halfway out through the woods, I knew there was an outcropping of rock and went there instead.

I knew that because I logged that mountain for the last 30 years, and know every stump and rock. Yet I had never looked over this outcropping of rock thinking it held any potential. Two weeks ago it did not look good either. The rock outcrop is about 15 feet high and fifty feet long, and contains two such outcrops. But upon looking at what first seemed like just solid bedrock, there was the quartz, galena, copper pyrite, iron pyrite and melanite! It is not in veins, but pocketed throughout the outcrop.
    embrym likes this.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    422 times
    Prospecting
    In looking back at the maps, I should have known! As I traced the stream from where the gold was found in the 1800's, I saw a massive beaver dam and thought, "what the heck is that doing there". Then I realized I had gotten lost on the satellite map. That beaver dam was ours, and the outcropping of rock's face, literally fell into what would have been a streambed before the beavers stemmed the stream flow.

What an idiot I am! But then again, I am a prospector without a donkey, and as I humped out ore samples, I really, really began to realize how sick I am, how heavy ore samples are, and how I should have kept my last donkey. (Stupid thing was attacking sheep).

So now my story leads me here. A man needs to know his limits, and learn from others much more knowledgeable then himself.

I have no disillusions of striking it rich, I am retired and content and know God will take care of my families needs. To that end though, I do have a working gravel pit so I do know crushing and screening operations, and would not mind trying a SMALL gold operation IF the ore was enough to warrant it. My only goal there would be to help pay for the property taxes, at the going rate of gold, about 8 ounces per year, not counting the cost of the gold recovery operation.
    embrym likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Bob

Jan 2018
    Central Massachusetts
    Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT Max, Garrett carrot, Detech 15x12, 4.5” SS and a couple of shovels
    2739 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Huh, good Luck brother,sounds like that will keep you busy. Don’t forget to post some pictures once you’re up and running
    “I was a kid once, but I wasn’t very good at it”

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1872 times
    Had a camp in Argyle, just fish no gold, bet your counting the days till fiddle heads are ready.
    Would like to make it back those old woods one day.
    Gt.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    422 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gold tramp View Post
    Had a camp in Argyle, just fish no gold, bet your counting the days till fiddle heads are ready.
    Would like to make it back those old woods one day.
    Gt.
    I am about an hour from Argyle. Nice area that is for sure.

I don't have any pictures of fiddleheads, but there is a spot in the forest here that grows them quite well in the Spring. You can see where my wife and I were surrounded by ferns (fiddleheads in the Spring of course) when this picture was taken.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logger and Little Red Ridinghood.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	617.8 KB 
ID:	1673645

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2899 times
    Prospecting
    Since you own and operate a gravel pit, are you aware that they are sometimes noted to contain placer gold? A good place to start for you to check yours for gold would be to sample pan some of the sand screw clean out material. It is already concentrated to a certain extent. I have read where some operators actually have set up a separate circuit to take advantage of that fact....maybe you down the road?

Welcome to the forum and good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Jan 23, 2019 at 11:57 AM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    422 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    Since you own and operate a gravel pit, are you aware that they are sometimes noted to contain placer gold? A good place to start for you to check yours for gold would be to sample pan some of the sand screw clean out material. It is already concentrated to a certain extent. I have read where some operators actually have set up a separate circuit to take advantage of that fact....maybe you down the road?

Welcome to the forum and good luck.
    I thought of that, and asked about it, but one guy on the internet (claiming to do his Masters on Geology) said that gold would not be found there.

I am not sure. Here in Maine, gravel is always found on the Northeast side of the hills, but my gravel pit is located NorthWEST of where I found this promising outcrop. It is not that far, maybe 1/4 mile away, and uphill from the gravel pit.

The outcrop of rock is literally on the dividing line. It is located on the south side of a deep ravine, the ravine being swampy maybe 100 feet across. But to the right, it goes a few hundred feet down hill, forms a stream, and two miles down stream was where gold was found. To the left however, the swampy area goes for a few hundred feet, forms a stream, then runs right into my gravel pit (8 acre pit).

The gravel pit is pretty deep though, at least for where I live; 32 feet to bedrock and well below the water table. The State NRCS Geologist laughed at me when I asked her about gold being there?

One other funny thing geologically speaking; within 200 feet of this outcrop of rock, in the ravine headed towards my gravel pit, is quick-sand. Real quicksand is not what you see on TV from old 1960 re-runs, but it is there. I always assumed it was just an area loaded with dead sand that had a spring in it.

But all this is why I came here, to help me go in the right direction. (And I am thankful too by the way for all the help).

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    422 times
    Prospecting
    I got some ore samples here I thought I would share. I would love to hear your thoughts on these

Name:	Sample Four.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	1673686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample Three.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	518.6 KB 
ID:	1673685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample Two.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	561.9 KB 
ID:	1673684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample One.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	393.2 KB 
ID:	1673683

Apr 2014
    Tartarus Dorsa mountains
    822 times
    Stayin' alive :D
    Quote Originally Posted by OreCart View Post
    I got some ore samples here I thought I would share. I would love to hear your thoughts on these

Name:	Sample Four.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	1673686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample Three.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	518.6 KB 
ID:	1673685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample Two.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	561.9 KB 
ID:	1673684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample One.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	393.2 KB 
ID:	1673683
    My first thought is to crush them and see what pans out.
    Improving the world, one post at a time

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    20191 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (7)
    You are going to have to do several things. The first is sample from all the likely spots on your property. If you can handle it you may want to get an all terrain vehicle. For the samples you have crushing and panning for a start, but you might just want to send some to an assay office and they can spot the little stuff. I have gold on my property, but it's such a hassle, it's not worth it. The actual vein is under my house and it also contains native silver. I had an x-ray diffraction test done on it by a professional. I think he charges about $40 per test. If you get some of the metallics in a crushed form, xrd might be an inexpensive way to see if there is any AU in it.
    63bkpkr likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1963 times
    Prospecting
    Those rocks look like silver ore I've found that also carried some gold and they are test worthy for sure. Way easier to do yourself for an idea of what's in them before you spend money.
    Go to the hardware and a short 3 inch pipe with a bottom cap and a smaller but longer pipe to slide inside with both ends capped and crush with a 3 lb hammer after breaking it up into gravel size. Wear glasses FOR SURE and maybe some face protection and crush in water in the tube so theres no dust. ( or dont breathe the dust)
    Then you'll at least get an idea of what's there when you pan the dust out and if theres gold you'll see some with a loupe.
    Qwik easy test you can do around the ranch and it's worked for me and cheap.
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    422 times
    Prospecting
    Smokey/Johnny:: Your replies are exactly the reason I came on this site, for this kind of advice, so thank you first and foremost

I did kind of wonder if what I was calling Galena might be silver, but did not want to jump too conclusions.

As for testing, I wish you two had been agreement because that would have made things easier! (LOL) I had thought about crushing this rock up and sending it to my father-in-law who pans, and knows what he is looking at, but was not sure if there would be enough gold in there for him to see? Or alternatively, if I should send a sample in to have it tested? I would need help with how to do that because I have no idea on how that is done.

I can see gold shiny flecks under a loupe in the rock, but I am too dumb at this to determine if they are iron pyrite, copper pyrite or real gold. Some shine in the light, and some shine even when its cloudy out, but a few specks shine like a lighthouse beam going out to sea, but I have no idea what that means? I feel dumb, but I do want to learn too.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links