The slightly noteworthy saga of Jimoutside.....

Jimoutside

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know how far this will go, or how often I will have anything to tell here. It could end up being more human interest (or disinterest) than anything else. I'll try to keep coming back to gold, and prospecting. Or else you'll all (all y'all, for the southerners) will get very bored and move on.

I'm 41 years old, and have a wife and 7 kids, barely making it financially, but we don't need to discuss that in depth. Suffice it to say that I can't spend a lot of money on my new hobby--gold prospecting.

In fact, it could be argued that I wasn't wise to spend what I've already spent in the last three days, on something with such dubious returns. But hey, I could have a hobby with even more dubious returns, and higher expenses--like golf, horseback riding, or skydiving.

Being a guy still in possession of my proverbial man-card, I do have a few tools lying around. I have some of the standard mechanic's and carpenter's tools, as well as garden tools. Of the three, the garden tools probably get the most use, because I actually do garden. Which reminds me, I need to dig some potatoes tomorrow, to sell to the restaurant. Tomorrow? Well, I mean, today. Later. When I wake up. because I'm a nocturnal animal--I work and do my best thinking and quiet time (like this right here) at night. Then I sleep by day. Weird, I know. Not sure if it's sustainable.

By the time I'm done, I may conclude I should have just stuck to potatoes and not bothered with gold prospecting. :BangHead:

Regardless, I somehow accidentally started watching prospecting videos on You-Tube sporadically, a few years back. Maybe I've even seen some of "you guys" (that's the New England in me, coming out) on there. Those prospecting videos looked like so much fun. Then I learned that South Carolina, where I live, actually has some gold in it. Unlike where I grew up in Maine, where gold was not a well-known phenomenon.

So I probably shouldn't admit it, but I started getting a burning sensation in the back of my head, that I ought to go check out the creek near I live. Now--I live in a rural area, and I am also aware of the laws about trespassing and permission. Not knowing the people who owned the land on both sides of the creek, and not wanting to advertise to anyone what I was about, I thought I would just do a little test-panning surreptitiously--but not really on anyone's property. But where could I go? Well, it may have been against the law, technically, but I think it's a bit of a gray area--I went down below the bridge. So technically I was in the right of way, right? but no one could see me (but God, of course). Now maybe it's against the law to pan for gold under a bridge in the public right of way, I'm not sure. I figured I wasn't going to make a habit of it. Just wanted to scratch the itch and see if there was any gold. If I found any, I could go to the trouble to find some property owners along the creek, and get permission to pan on their property.

Well, what I know was against the law, was borrowing my wife's stainless steel kitchen bowl. She still doesn't know about that yet.... I may have to confess that to her and get it off my chest. So I put the bowl, a trowel, and a few other toys I thought could be useful, in my packpack and sneaked nonchalantly down the road--waited until there were no cars nearby, and went down under the bridge.

I found a wood piling under there, that had been cut off. Possibly part of an earlier bridge that had been there, or something. So I got some gravel from downstream of the piling and panned it. After four pans or so, I deduced that not only was there no gold, there was scarcely any black sand. I tried a couple other spots, but nothing, of course, so I packed back up and sloshed back to the house. Maybe my wife wondered how I got my jeans so wet. She and the kids were gone that day...she probably thought it was sweat from working in the garden. I hung them up to dry in the bathroom. Then I had to go to bed, because it was the middle of the day, and high time for me to be sleeping.

So, feeling a little guilty for sneaking around under the public bridge, I decided I probably better not do that anymore. Better keep it on the level. So I contacted a couple friends I know who actually have streams in the area. Both of them said I could come and pan, but of course both of them wanted to try it with me. Because of course, gold. And fun. And it is their land, after all.

So...tentatively, I'm supposed to go panning with one friend Saturday. Don't know when I'll be able to meet up with the second friend--he has a very busy schedule and is out of state right now.

And the family and I are going to be taking a road trip next week, going up to New York state, across to Indiana, and down to Western Kentucky, and back home. We will be seeing a bunch of friends and relatives. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get a chance to pan with the kids in New York, and almost certainly in Kentucky. But as you may know, neither of those places particularly places high for placers.

What do I want out of prospecting? I guess I mostly want to have fun, find a little gold sometimes. But my gold bucket list is to try to pan (legally) for gold in ever state, or as many as I can, before I die, and maybe in as many foreign countries as possible. I would love to go back to Australia. When I was there, 21 years ago, I wasn't interested in gold. :BangHead: I'm sure if I had been, somebody could have hooked me up with an opportunity. I just didn't seek it. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Oh, those supplies I bought in the last 3 days? Came to a total of $23.17. I tell myself, I can't spend any more on it until I find that much gold. Roughly half a gram. Wonder if I'll stick to that rule??? You might want to place bets. LOL.

All for now--the sun will rise soon, and I must go to bed.

Jim

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a fine start for a journal, Jim.

BTW, what did ya get for $23.17?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
By this and your other thread it sounds like you have the basics. Master your panning skills and you are most of the way there. Sluices multiply the amount of material you can process (the more material you run the more gold you are likely to get). They are easy to build and you probably have scrap material laying around to build one/them with. For many, prospecting is a fun family adventure and the kids can be of much help too.:thumbsup: Besides that, what kid doesn't like to play in water and mud?

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck dude, it looks like you have the skills to figure out how to make something good happen!

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can multiply your chances by spending a little time in your library and checking up on mining in your State..

OP
OP
J

Jimoutside

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, Hello again! First of all, here's what I dug up today:

Potato Bucket.jpg

See, I wasn't kidding about the spuds. Here is 10 lbs. of potatoes in the bucket. The purple ones are Adirondack Blues, if you were wondering. The red ones I think are Adirondack Red, but I can't remember. These are heading to a local restaurant. It's a small shipment, but I'm excited about it. Over the next month or so, I should be able to harvest all the rest of my potato crop and sell it. My income should be only about 3 digits overall, but it's possible I'll make more money off my potatoes this year than I'll ever discover in gold.....but hey, you never know!

I thought I would assemble my gold tools for you to see, since somebody asked. This is not quite all of them--some duplicates are omitted, etc.

Prospecting tools.jpg

From the hammer on to the right, are things I already had on hand. Hammer, cold chisel, wire brush, cat's paw. The other objects to the left of the hammer, are things I've purchased this week, included in the $23.17. Admittedly it is RATHER amateurish. I'm already thinking I should have just bought snuffer bottles instead of the bulb baster and baby nose bulb. They will probably be my next purchase.

OP
OP
J

Jimoutside

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a breakdown of what I bought:

Item # Category Date Cost Notes Source
Trowel 1 Tools 7/17/2019 $1.06 Z Dollar Tree
Classifier, small mesh kitchen 1 Tools 7/17/2019 $1.06 Z Dollar Tree
Classifier, wire basket decorative 2 Tools 7/17/2019 $2.12 Z Dollar Tree
Snuffer, kitchen baster 1 Tools 7/17/2019 $1.06 Z Dollar Tree
Storage boxes, small rectangular 2 Tools 7/17/2019 $1.06 Z Dollar Tree
Snuffer, baby aspirator 1 Tools 7/18/2019 $2.09 Z Walmart
Jet Dry (GV Dish Rinse) 1 Supplies 7/18/2019 $2.83 Z Walmart
Snuffer, kitchen baster 1 Tools 7/18/2019 $2.09 Z Walmart
Digging tool, garden hand claw 1 Tools 7/18/2019 $1.00 Z Walmart
Pans, 8" prospecting, blue 2 Tools 7/16/2019 $8.80 Z Martin Prospecting

For a total of $23.17

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks to me like you've got everything you need, save a snuffer
bottle, and even that can be made.

I don't see anything amateurish there at all. Many people have
found decent amounts of gold using a lot less. :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

Jimoutside

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, Dizzy, that's encouraging!

I just got back from an extremely dismal night of Uber driving. Believe me, alluvial is petering out in the Uber/Lyft driving business around here. When I began driving 16 months ago, it was far more lucrative. Tonight, I got a measly $47. Friday nights are supposed to be gravy nights. Anymore, not so much. I used to be disappointed if I got less than $125 on a Friday night. This is worse than last Friday night, which was $67. I am going to have to find myself a real job. Believe me, I have no allusions of prospecting making me any money.

Tomorrow, Lord willing, and depending on how much the creek doth rise (it's raining now), my friend D and I will head out to check on at least one of his streams--hopefully two. One I'm not real expectant of, but the other could have some promise. Won't know til we try it. Could use some prayer, if y'all are the praying type. (I mean, not so much for finding gold, although that would be nice, but maybe for finding a better job!).

Yesterday was my wife and my anniversary, so we dropped the kiddos off at friends and had supper together, and did a little shopping, mainly for a certain offspring's birthday which is rapidly approaching. Real romantic, I know. But we enjoyed being together, and so on. The thing I'm kicking myself for is this. When we left, I forgot to turn off the sprinkler, which was watering the potato patch. When we got back, I also forgot to shut it off, though I had remembered while we were gone. Then I left immediately to go to do my Uber/Lyft driving, and forgot and left it on. I just shut it off a few minutes ago. I think it was on for at least 9 hrs. Which is a solid 8 hrs more than I wanted. And it's raining now, too! :BangHead: Yeah. Maybe I should pan for gold in my garden.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the anniversary :notworthy: We just had our 47th on the 18th and also like you, have a son's birthday in just a couple days. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
J

Jimoutside

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure anybody coming back to this thread wants to know what happened today. (Saturday, that is). Well, I don't have much time to tell it, because I need to get a few hours sleep before going to church in the morning. Then I'll be filling in working 2nd shift at my security guard job this afternoon--not sure I'll be up to Uber driving when I get off at 11PM or not, probably I'll be dead tired and just go home. I just got home from a night that was slightly better than last Saturday, but still a far cry from what I need to get-- $94.

So I took a couple of kids from my collection, and went gold prospecting today. First I tried my friend D's first creek, which I will refer to as creek # 1. Tried it fairly extensively with zero gold found. Honestly, I didn't expect any there.

By the time we got to Creek #2, which is in a more remote (and promising) area, daylight was rapidly waning. Therefore I didn't manage to do much panning there, but I chose what I thought would be a good spot, and loaded up a 5 gallon bucket with sediment from there. I scraped it off and around and out from under some good size rocks in the stream. I will try to pan it out at home Monday or Tuesday, real carefully, and check it.

Now--I'm thinking--a dangerous pass time, I know--that if I recreate a slurry in the bucket at home, do the hokey pokey and shake the bucket all about, I ought to be able to scoop out the upper slurry and only pan the bottom two inches or so of the bucket, RIGHT?

OP
OP
J

Jimoutside

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I got through Sunday. It didn't go as I had planned--I ended up staying home from church not feeling too well, and not having a ton of time between getting home from Uber, and having to be to work at 3 PM. As it turned out, my boss asked me to go in at 5 instead, so I had a little extra time to sleep, and went to my security shift feeling fairly rested. Now I'll get to bed after I have some supper (cooking it now, lamburger mixed with collard greens from a can, okra and tomatoes from a can, and beets from a can), and maybe I'll see if Dan Hurd or some of the other guys have any new gold videos out since I last checked, before I get to bed.

Then tomorrow--I do need to do some gardening--but the much anticipated bucket of sediment needs to be gone through!

Don't be surprised if there's no gold......but here's hoping for the best!

OP
OP
J

Jimoutside

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope to do the bucket in a couple of hours! I am safe to make a slurry, stir it, and pull off all but the bottom 2 inches or so, right? I will put jet dry in it.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope to do the bucket in a couple of hours! I am safe to make a slurry, stir it, and pull off all but the bottom 2 inches or so, right? I will put jet dry in it.

I would stick to panning, production panning that is. Fill pan part full and agitate and swirl until heavies settle. Pan or scrape off the top and add more material to what is left and repeat. Do this until you run out of material. At that point you have concentrated your material and you can begin to pan down what is left to see if you have any gold.

Good luck.

OP
OP
J

Jimoutside

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well.....I got started. But it started raining before I could get to the bottom of the bucket. Here's what a pan of it looks like....and yes that's my fat self in the picture.

Sorry the kids got it sideways.

20190722_193226.jpg

Anyway, no gold found yet.

BUT. We also didn't get to the bottom of the bucket. And we know that's where the gold should be, if there were any.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jimoutside

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would stick to panning, production panning that is. Fill pan part full and agitate and swirl until heavies settle. Pan or scrape off the top and add more material to what is left and repeat. Do this until you run out of material. At that point you have concentrated your material and you can begin to pan down what is left to see if you have any gold.

Good luck.

Arizau, good point. When I finish it off, I think I will do it that way. It will save time on pulling out the cons each pan as I have been doing.

There has been some black sand--not huge amounts, but much more than Stream 1 which I tried earlier Saturday and had almost NONE. Also there are some black metalic balls--I think they may be bird shot, I'm not sure. They're going into the cons also. The black sand is magnetic, or at least some of it.

I think I will do as you advised when I finish it up, hopefully tomorrow.

One slight problem is that I have the baby size gold pans (8") and that means the cons will fill it up quicker than a standard size pan. However, I do have two of them, and that may help.

I am keeping all the sediment in the second bucket just in case we find anything significant, in which case running the material through a more refined process might be advisable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions