Eastern Oregon Mountaineer
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Eastern Oregon Mountaineer

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2020
    Oregon
    Minelab gs3000
    87 times
    Prospecting

Eastern Oregon Mountaineer

Well after reading MyTimetoShine's adventures I thought might be fun to post some of mine as well. Not much gold to post at this point except the one little chunk that got me hooked. It was a really wet spring, logging was near impossible and the prices at the mill were so low in our area it was pointless anyways. My father-in-law, a gold hound, was mentioning that with the flooding we were having some new material would be stirred up and sent down the creek. So on an absolutely miserable rainy day about 50 degrees I grabbed a raincoat and a pan and a detector and headed up gold bearing creek that hadn't been claimed up. Took about 5 pokes over a 1/2 mile testing some slowspots, some inside bends then I came upon a huge boulder right in the middle of the creek. Not a speck of color, some lead shot though. Most of the area had been dredged with a doodlebug but that rock looked like it might not have been moved. Dug as deep as I could and filled a pan. I didn't have a classifier so I was chucking out the bigger rocks when I spotted the glimmer off the one in the picture. Heart started racing and I was hooked. It's a bad picture and there really isn't much gold in it but it was enough for me!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210203_052744.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	1900771

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3878 times
    Prospecting
    I'd consider that a great day! Nice find.
    Jim
    ArfieBoy and Mountaineer2020 like this.

us
    Apr 2015
    s.w.washington
    tesoro outlaw vaquero, anfibio multi, Makro pulse dive
    61 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I would be willing to find those all day. Well done.
    ArfieBoy and Mountaineer2020 like this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2609 times
    Prospecting
    Wow cool. Nice work!
    ArfieBoy likes this.

Nov 2012
    1728 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer2020 View Post
    Well after reading MyTimetoShine's adventures I thought might be fun to post some of mine as well. Not much gold to post at this point except the one little chunk that got me hooked. It was a really wet spring, logging was near impossible and the prices at the mill were so low in our area it was pointless anyways. My father-in-law, a gold hound, was mentioning that with the flooding we were having some new material would be stirred up and sent down the creek. So on an absolutely miserable rainy day about 50 degrees I grabbed a raincoat and a pan and a detector and headed up gold bearing creek that hadn't been claimed up. Took about 5 pokes over a 1/2 mile testing some slowspots, some inside bends then I came upon a huge boulder right in the middle of the creek. Not a speck of color, some lead shot though. Most of the area had been dredged with a doodlebug but that rock looked like it might not have been moved. Dug as deep as I could and filled a pan. I didn't have a classifier so I was chucking out the bigger rocks when I spotted the glimmer off the one in the picture. Heart started racing and I was hooked. It's a bad picture and there really isn't much gold in it but it was enough for me!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210203_052744.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	1900771
    Eastern Oregon is a big place, could you possibly narrow it down a tad? I was born and raised in the Baker county area in the gold country.
    Mountaineer2020 likes this.

Jul 2020
    Oregon
    Minelab gs3000
    87 times
    Prospecting
    I'm the other side of the Elkhorns from you. Been working the Granite, Greenhorn Cracker Creek and Susanville districts. That chunk came out of Susanville, probably rolled down the creek from the hard rock claim above it.
    Gold4Mike and ArfieBoy like this.

Jul 2020
    Oregon
    Minelab gs3000
    87 times
    Prospecting
    Here's a more typical outing in January. Found a nice adit probably dug around 1900. Figure if it hasn't caved in 100 years probably not going to now if I step softly. Got the air quality monitor on and accidently tested it by breathing on it. The little monster shrieks as I fumble around trying to shut it off. Heading into the portal looking for what the old timers were trying to get at. There is a darker vein about 4 inches wide that runs vertical in the direction of the tunnel but I figure it's too narrow to justify drifting on unless there were some really good specimens or insane values. Past a dogleg the tunnel stops following the vein then I hit a hammerhead ending at about 450' in. It looks like the start of drift on a 12" to 24" vein of quartz in agrillite! There's a clearly defined headwall dipping at about 60 degrees. Certainly if they crosscut 450' to get to this there must be some gold! I take a sample across the vein fill up 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff and head back out. Pretty rocks is what they turned out to be after crushing and panning the only shiney in there was the metal flakes from the chain flail crusher! Got about 15 more stories identical to that one.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monarch.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	311.5 KB 
ID:	1904114 Lots of fun but no gold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210218_151039.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	1904113  
    arizau and ArfieBoy like this.

Jul 2020
    Oregon
    Minelab gs3000
    87 times
    Prospecting
    Snow is melting! Made it out to the river last week and decided to pan where there had been some hydraulicing in the past. Come up with 2 flakes and about 8 colors so I figured might be worth setting up the sluice. Had a bit of a time finding a spot with enough drop to get the sluice to flow right. The tail end had quite a bit of backpressure and tended to fill above the riffles. But I figured most of what I wanted should be in the top 1/2 anyways right? Spent about 5 hours getting things figured out and ran a few buckets trying to classify them on the bank by shaking without water. NOT the way to do it. The soil was wet and heavy my wife got 20,000 steps that day on her fitbit! Finally figured out just take the bucket to the water and classify it there and things went alot smoother. Not a great showing but considering the learning curve of the noob on the sluice and the fact that any gold is good I had a good time!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold find.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	426.4 KB 
ID:	1914607

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
    3311 times
    Nice gold!
    ArfieBoy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

Aug 2016
    2385 times
    YOU got gold and it sure looks good
    Mountaineer2020 and ArfieBoy like this.

us
    "Call me ArfieBoy"

Aug 2011
    N.E. Oregon
    Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
    2162 times
    Congratulations Mountaineer2020! Enjoy the stories of your adventure in our mountains here in northeastern Oregon! I'm in La Grande. Back in the 70's and 80's I did a lot of cruising around the old gold camps and mines where you have been working. I panned a little in a few places, but never got serious about it... to many other interests. Found a lot of relics from those areas and up north of Baker City, too. Hope to hear more of your tales and adventures! In my mid-70's I still make an occasional visit to some of those old ghosts!

Jul 2020
    Oregon
    Minelab gs3000
    87 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ArfieBoy View Post
    Congratulations Mountaineer2020! Enjoy the stories of your adventure in our mountains here in northeastern Oregon! I'm in La Grande. Back in the 70's and 80's I did a lot of cruising around the old gold camps and mines where you have been working. I panned a little in a few places, but never got serious about it... to many other interests. Found a lot of relics from those areas and up north of Baker City, too. Hope to hear more of your tales and adventures! In my mid-70's I still make an occasional visit to some of those old ghosts!
    Would like to see some of the relics you found! I worked in land surveying in LaGrande area for 4 years back in 2000. Stomped all over that area from Joseph to Elgin to Sammyville Union etc. Beautiful area! If you head this way send me a message we'll check out some of the ghosts and mining camps.

Jul 2020
    Oregon
    Minelab gs3000
    87 times
    Prospecting
    I was on a parts run to Pendleton and on the way back I just remembered my gold pan was in the back of the truck! There was no way I was going to make it across the North Fork bridge without getting that pan wet. Zoomed down to the river which was green and murky as the spring melt is on. COLD bone numbing cold. Neoprene gloves were not in the truck. The spot where we sluiced just a week earlier was 2 feet under water and all evidence had been washed downstream. Ran about 5 pans and came up with what's in the picture. Not a great amount of gold but for an hour detour listening to the river talk the smells of wet moss, pine and fir a good end to the day!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210405_190755.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	1916741

Jul 2020
    Oregon
    Minelab gs3000
    87 times
    Prospecting
    Took a group of foreign exchange kids to the John Day River for some gold panning. They all seemed excited about the historical and American aspect of it. We had 2 Koreans, one from Hong Kong and one from Germany. The Hong Kong kid made the wise crack that we could all pretend we were Egyptian Slaves. He has a good but odd sense of humor. After a quick panning class the 3 boys lost interest, 2 started building a fire which was on their bucket list, and one was thinking of doing the polar bear plunge. The water temp was around 40 I would guess. Hands instantly ache. The only potential miner in the bunch was the Korean girl she panned and got that gold all sparkly clean! All in all a fun day and I sure am going to miss those kids when they have to go home. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foreign gold.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	355.1 KB 
ID:	1917587

Aug 2015
    Northeastern Sierra's
    1515 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer2020 View Post
    Took a group of foreign exchange kids to the John Day River for some gold panning. They all seemed excited about the historical and American aspect of it. We had 2 Koreans, one from Hong Kong and one from Germany. The Hong Kong kid made the wise crack that we could all pretend we were Egyptian Slaves. He has a good but odd sense of humor. After a quick panning class the 3 boys lost interest, 2 started building a fire which was on their bucket list, and one was thinking of doing the polar bear plunge. The water temp was around 40 I would guess. Hands instantly ache. The only potential miner in the bunch was the Korean girl she panned and got that gold all sparkly clean! All in all a fun day and I sure am going to miss those kids when they have to go home. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foreign gold.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	355.1 KB 
ID:	1917587
    I do a summertime gig at a "Dude Ranch" teaching kids to pan for gold. After all, we're in the Northern Mother Lode Belt of the Sierras and there is mining History here. I jumped into this gig by accident, and then my truck disagreed and the fires hit. Everything together killed my season and my part time gig. The resort had to shut down and evacuate, my truck wasn't playing fair, and the fire got my claim. I hope to be doing both mining and teaching again this summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links