RV on the Road & in the Air

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The waterwatch data will at least tell you when there is historically water flow, when, and how much occurs. Keeps you from drowning in some cases.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're right, it's not the wild west anymore, BUT, it is rural Nevada, meaning
it's just a hop, skip and a jump from what was the wild west. Someone catches
you poaching their posted claim....you may not get shot, however it will generally
not end well.

I agree with Terry...Unless you plan on building a recirculating system and
then bringing in your own water, it's better to get yourself a decent drywasher.

As for finding water, it's tougher than you think. That para glider won't help
much when the wind is gusting 30 mph; some of those hot springs are
far to hot to even put a hand in, and are often are full of dangerous minerals
that'll kill ya if you drink them.

Sorry to sound like a "devil's advocate", but having spent considerable time
all over the Nevada desert areas I've gained a bit of wisdom, and it's worthless
unless I can pass it on to help others.

Honestly looking forward to your trip...been awhile since I was down in Nevada,
and I sure miss the smell of the sage.

First of all no one that flies a PPG would think of doing so in high winds, unless they have a death wish. I take off from calm wind to maybe six mph, steady, not gusting. Most of us use an app called "Windy" at windy.com . The app reports to any aviator the time frame at any location, velocity of wind, precipitation. temperature, etc. ... a non consumer oriented weather station for your PC and your smart phone. For my needs, I use the free version.

Hot springs... I would suggest using an infra red handheld thermometer before even testing the spring water with your toe.

With regards to highbanking... The state of Californication is right next door. The water, where found is clean and charcoal filtered due to the people not sweeping the forest floor. Climate change is upon us with a fury. No politics with this issue, please... we would not want to upset anyone with fact based truth. Maybe space lasers. (Tongue in cheek).

Last edited:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Where I live it's the wild west right now, everything in the bush with American flag is shot up torn out
Myself I worry when I go out the red hats are still upset...
This ain't politics it's God's honest truth from somebody who goes in the bush.
It's scary...

I got a drywasher you can use if your in South Cali. Handcrank.
Gt....

Let's forget about drywasher, to much hullabaloo.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to research some clubs with claims in Nevada, because private claim owners will shoot at you without hesitation. There are only a few places in Nevada that have detectable gold nuggets, and anything with pickers is already claimed. Do your homework BEFORE you leave. You need a drywasher, not a highbanker, as water is hard to come by.

claim owners are not shooting people:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's forget about drywasher, to much hullabaloo.

BTW -

Water permits in AZ is $1000 to start, but all bucks aside, can be had. I'd much rather wet wash, than dry wash. Healthier, and faster

A Nevada state water use permit is a whole $15 - $60 Nevada Division of Water Resources (NDWR) has website that can guide the unwashed to a permit application. Call the NV Division of Water Resources at 775-684-2800 to get answers to questions. Northern Nevada has rivers, streams and whatnots than the southern portion of the state. I'd rather sluice up north in the summer than in the south... no 120 degree daytime temps. Plus the state hasn't been fine tooth combed like AZ.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Northern Nevada is cooler?

I consider Winnemucca to be in Northern Nevada, and over the next
ten days the high is going to average about 100F.

If you come from the East coast and expect to be able to work in that heat,
then you are in for a bad experience.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Northern Nevada is cooler?

I consider Winnemucca to be in Northern Nevada, and over the next
ten days the high is going to average about 100F.

If you come from the East coast and expect to be able to work in that heat,
then you are in for a bad experience.

Winnemucca sounds like it may be the spot. No big deal anyhow... I would just be sitting in a solar powered air conditioned camper trailer, reading a good book and sip some good wine. Locate to higher altitudes or just learn to tolerate the low 90's with low humidity. But who would go west in the summer with a heat dome altering the weather pattern? Check out windy.com for aviation grade weather, not your local media or fake news!

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Scrap the highbanker for your desert prospecting. It's just taking up space and weight you could use to carry something useful - like water.

Water in the desert is a big deal. The lack of water is what makes it a desert. If you don't have any water when you arrive at your prospecting destination you will have to do without. After traveling and prospecting full time for 7 years in the desert west I learned to always carry as much water as possible. Your trailer will be your home and a home without water is no place to be in the desert.

Desert dwellers will protect their water from poachers at all costs. Ranchers are not going to be at all friendly if they find you using water from their stock tanks (it's illegal to take water from a stock tank). Given a choice of giving up their gold or giving up their water desert dwellers will always choose to keep the water.

Do a serious survey of your weight distribution and figure out a way to carry a minimum of 50 gallons of water at all times. Realistically your trailer in the desert is going to be your only source of food, water and shelter. Going short of any of those three essentials is putting yourself in unreasonable danger. No gold is worth your life.

It's illegal to use the water from natural springs for mining on federal lands. Even if you were to find a reliable non poisonous water source what do you think the odds are there will be gold within a reasonable distance? If there is you can bet the spot is already claimed. In the desert west the drywasher is your best and most productive tool for gold recovery.

There is a lot of gold waiting in the desert for men that understand that the reason the gold is still there is because there is no effective means to process the material with water. Learn to work dry in the desert or go home without gold. Not trying to be harsh, just sharing how it actually works in the dry lands.

It sounds like a great adventure you have planned. I wish you well on your journey. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

p.s. I see you are coming from the east coast. Cell towers are few and far between in the desert. Dump your AT&T or whatever cell account and get a Verizon account. Verizon is the most reliable cell provider in the desert west, I hate Verizon but it's true. At least with Verizon you will have a chance of a decent cell connection from time to time.

Most of your points are well taken. But my other little tool is my MineLab 1000 metal detector. Works like a champ on the beach and knee high in water. Too bad they didn't water proof the electronics. From what I understand, using spring water at the source is strictly a no,no. But if you're over 100' ft. away and there is a defined runoff, that water is open for use. Always check the area for surface and/or placer claims. People will get somewhat upset if you are not the claim owner of record. Northern Nevada appears to have more water than the south, and the air isn't 120F on most days. Used to have a house in Casa Grande, AZ. Not an "expert" on the desert, just fairly well versed.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you lived in Casa Grande, then perhaps you have now been back east too long and have forgotten what it is like out here. You had great advice from Clay to forget the highbanker and get a drywasher. You might be able to find some water, but remember we are in a drought, and if you did find the water are you able to lug it 4 or 5 miles over steep terrain. Your GM1000 is great for shallow gold, but many people have been there before you, you will also need a detector (PI) to find the deeper pieces, your making a long trip, make the investment.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hurry up and get that rig on the road, cant wait for the ride along on your great adventure!
Please include lots of photos.

Safe Travels,
GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread