Orbs in pictures

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I just got back from visiting a friend in the hospital that just had a baby. We took some pictures and going through them there was a little blue spot and a little white spot in most of the pictures. There were other pictures on the camera from other places, like home, etc., and the little spots were in those pictures too.

Would you consider these little spots to be orbs? What are they doing in the pictures?

Any information you can tell me about these spots, orbs, would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I do not have any of the pictures to post since the battery in my camera was dead, we just used there camera.

Sue

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orbs are Just Dust Particles, Small bugs, rain drops & snow Flakes
can also Make Orbs. & maybe Electrical energy.

nothing spiritual there I'm sorry.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Orbs are usually easily explained away as being dust, bugs, lens flare, moisture in the air, and probably at least a dozen other things that I can't think of at the moment. I have investigated the paranormal for years, and "orbs" can be attributed to so many natural explanations that serious investigators do not and will not consider orbs as any type of evidence of the paranormal. The only time that I pay attention to orb photos is if there is some way to reference the distance between the camera lens and the "orb" itself....and even then ya gotta remember...an orb is not necessarily a ghost. It may be an energy phenomenon that the paranormal uses to manifest...or it may not. All we have to work with are theories :icon_study:. But look at it this way...at least ya got a cool picture! :wink:

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Oh, by the way...if the spots are in most of the pics you took....check the lens of the camera for dust or scratches. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
The camera lense was cleaned. They are not in the same spot in the pictures or the same size. Each picture they are different, but they are there and noticable.

Sue

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D :coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: (Sighs...) ORB-phobia! I agree that SOME orbs are particles of dust... been proven; HOWEVER! Based on MY NDE (Near Death Experience) in the "World of LIGHT", we DO become ORBS of CONDENSED CONSCIOUSNESS; so, it MAY be that SOME orbs are "truthful" paranormal (to us, here & now...) events. It doen't suprise me that orbs are "seen" in grave-yards, etc. ;D :wink: :-X

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel - KGC said:
;D :coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: (Sighs...) ORB-phobia! I agree that SOME orbs are particles of dust... been proven; HOWEVER! Based on MY NDE (Near Death Experience) in the "World of LIGHT", we DO become ORBS of CONDENSED CONSCIOUSNESS; so, it MAY be that SOME orbs are "truthful" paranormal (to us, here & now...) events. It doen't suprise me that orbs are "seen" in grave-yards, etc. ;D :wink: :-X
Or WW2 Airbases ::)

Attachments

• spook 007.jpg
    spook 007.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 323
  • spook 007.jpg
    spook 007.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 323
R

rammjäger

Hi,
this "UFO /ORB" seems to take out electricity
from the connection at the wall ;D ???
Pic was taken at the basement of a building
some time ago...
Maybe "it" was recharging batteries ;D :D
mfG.
Mike

Attachments

• q65_image4982cd9670497Keller_Orb.jpg
    q65_image4982cd9670497Keller_Orb.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 284

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Orbs are definately not ghosts. Over the years I have gotten orbs in some of my photos taken all over the world. Even in the middle of the ocean. It can happen anywhere. Most easily in the dark. There is nothing supernatural about it.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen_idaho said:
Orbs are definately not ghosts. Over the years I have gotten orbs in some of my photos taken all over the world. Even in the middle of the ocean. It can happen anywhere. Most easily in the dark. There is nothing supernatural about it.
oh well it wuz fun.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D HOWEVER... from MY Near Death Experiernce, we DO become ORBS OF CONDENSED CONSCIOUSNESS, projecting out a "bodily image" as necessary for "recognition purpose(s)". As a FreeMason, I was interested in the "Grand Celestrial Lodge" above, which I DID visit. Was GREATLY susprised there, as there were ORBS in "the great room"; ONE, which projected himself as GEORGE WASHINGTON! LATER, I was shown how the spiritual war was; of "souls" collected like fire-flies in TWO bell-jars, one BIGGER, than the other; focus was on how much "light" can be given out. EVENTUALLY, the SMALLER bell-jar of fire-flies was INTERGRATED with the BIGGER jar. COSMIC!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Doing R & I on this, for a few days... Special cameras, etc. Take pics at night... go back the NEXT day, to DIG, if I can... :read2:;D :icon_thumleft: :coffee2: ;D

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We tried to replicate some "orbs" and other weird stuff that was found on a lot of pictures. A lot of "orbs" are light being reflected from dust, not only on the lens. If you're using the flash, it'll reflect off dust particles that are floating in the air. In the days of film photography a lot of weird stuff was caused by processing. My buddy managed a large photo processing lab. He had a huge collection of photos that showed abnormal things in the images. He could almost look at a photo and tell you what processor it was processed on & what mistake made the image. An Orb can be made in a digital photo by light reflected from windows & other reflective surfaces that our eyes don't even register. A lot of the Ghost chaser and UFO shows, make me laugh! They make NO EFFORT checking for real world causes of things in photos or on video! This I feel makes it hard for people who are researching & using real investigations to eliminate the real world causes to get labled as Woo Woo.

If you have spent any time at all looking at security cameras, I'm sure you've seen some really weird things, as have I. Most things can be explained by science & knowing your equipment, "MOST" of the time.

An example: Take your off the shelf home security camera, the type with the little IR LEDs around it. Put it out where ther is a lot of insects and things blowing through the air. Guarantee it'll be interesting. Moths generate an incredible amount of heat that shows up for quite a distance.

Use all the real world knowledge and science, then start with the other explanations.

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
This is a picture I took of my friends home where I visit often. Here you see an orb and if you look it is reflected in the mirror as well :) This room has a lot of activity most often feeling like someone is often in the room with you ??? My friends home was built in 1845 and they did a wonderful job of restoring it to the original state. Other than the kitchen it is basically the same as when built. I have also added a pic of the home.

Attachments

• orb.jpg
    orb.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 157
  • oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 159

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear CarolinaDigs;
I took the liberty of downloading the first photo which you've posted and reviewed the anamolies for you. First, the orb in the photo is nothing more mysterious than a reflection of the camera's aperture, which is the circular shaped device, usually housed at the innermost part of the lens and it's function is to open and close to in order to regulate the amount light entering the camera and thus striking the sensor's surface. I also call the aperture the iris, which is a depreciated word but still used by some of the older photography crowd.

Now, the foremost and aftmost portions of the camera's lens defines it's focal length and the interaction between the focal length and the aperture's opening is called the f/value. To explain what an f/value is in the simpliest terms, it's the amount of focal length divided by the aperture's opening. For example, your photo was taken with a Canon Powershot A95 point & shoot camera and the f/value at the time of the exposure was f/2.8. This is known as the f/stop and what it means is that the focal length was 2.8 times longer than the aperture's opening at the time the photo was captured.

Because the f/stop was f/2.8 this means that the exposure time would have needed to be raised significantly, which it it in fact was. The exposure time was 1/60th of a second which is a very long time to attempt to hold a camera steady. This is plainly evidenced by the glass candle chimney on the left side of the photo and also the door, again on the left side. The anamolies are known as *ghosting* and they have nothing to do with the supernatural, rather they are caused by not being able to hold the camera steady enough while the image is being captured. A tripod is very helpful in situations such as this.

If you look carefully at the orb in the photo, you may see a series of concentric rings inside of the orb, very similiar to a target. The reason why the orb manifested itself in the photo is because a significant portion of the light reflecting from all of the myriad of reflective glass in the room reflected back to the camera's lens and after entering the lens reflected itself back forward, then backwards, then forward, over and over. This is why the concentric rings may be seen in the photo.

Anamolies such as this are often seen in photos which were taken by inexpensive point & shoot type of cameras. They are nothing more than light beams which are entering the lens element at angles other than straight on, or nearly straight on. Because the light beams enter the lens at such extreme angles they tend to reflect off of the inner surface of the lens barrel then off of the sensor's surface then back to the rear side of the frontmost lens element, whereby the reflection cycle repeats itself.

The easiest way to preclude this phenomenon from occurring would be to use a lens hood in order to protect the lens element from intercepting light rays which would otherwise enter the lens group at an extreme angle, however most point & shoot cameras do not have an option to attach a lens hoods to the lens, therefore the next best thing would be to purchase an entry level dSLR camera.

Entry level dSLR cameras have really dropped in price in recent years and they are comparible to the high end point & shoots. Also, and more important, is the fact that even the least expensive dSLR camera lenses incorporate vastly superior lens coatings than what are used in point & shoot cameras, and the anti-reflective coatings almost completely eliminates orbs, which most photographers know as spherical aberrations. For example, when I was still using a point a shoot camera, I would encounter orbs in about one out of every 15 to 30 shots, whereas I now use a Sony dSLR camera with a top end Zeiss lens with lens hood and I have encountered perhaps 4 orbs out of more than 5,000 photos taken whilst using this particular lens.

If a dSLR camera is not in your immediate future, then another method to try would be to use a white business card and tape it directly underneath the cameras' flash, with the card bent upwards at a roughly 45 degree angle. This will help direct the cameras' flash to the ceiling and if the ceiling is white, it will be used as a highly reflective surface which will scatter the strobes' flash downwards and outwards, thereby brightening the scene while at the same time softening the coldness of the image.

Also, by forcing the cameras' flash to fire it will automatically decrease the exposure time which will shorten the shutter speed, thereby reducing or eliminating the ghosting effects.

Granted, this will not entrely eliminate spherical aberrations when using a point & shoot camera but it will lessen the amount of photographs with spherical aberrations and also tends to make the photos with aberrations less visible.

Good luck and keep taking those pictures, everyone!
Your friend;
LAMAR

Attachments

• orbNew.jpg
    orbNew.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 123

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread