Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Feb 2010
    Eastland Texas
    Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
    123 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Do you have psychic powers?

I went back to one of my spots I have hunted over and over and over but it still gives up some goodies every so often... well it did again... granted it nothing special but before I even went hunting I just knew Id find a silver dime and Ta-da! there she is!

it happens more often than you think at least to me... what about you guys? Do you have a feeling your going to find a certain something before you find it?

chukers

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1944 Merc.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	604391  
    My Personal Metal Detecting Blog www.facebook.com/coinshooting

If you haven't tried Groupon you need to... Saves you money! http://www.groupon.com/r/uu23569530

us
    I dig zinc....

Oct 2010
    Tyler, TX
    Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.) CTX-3030 10-04-13
    29 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: Do you have psychic powers?

Oh yeah, happens to me every time I go out~! I just know I am going to find some pull tabs and aluminum and, sho' nuff.....I find 'em every time!!
    Roland

All electrical devices are powered by smoke......when the smoke escapes, they no longer work.

us
    Jan 2012
    wv
    whites classic Id/ pro pointer
    71 times
    Relic Hunting

I will give ya an amen! It looks like it was wrapped up in a sweet cloth and polished undergrond for a few years. Good litttle coin!

Roland58 just make my day with his comment though!!!

us
    Feb 2010
    Eastland Texas
    123 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland58
    Oh yeah, happens to me every time I go out~! I just know I am going to find some pull tabs and aluminum and, sho' nuff.....I find 'em every time!!
    I know I know... I try not to think about them!

Chukers

If you haven't tried Groupon you need to... Saves you money! http://www.groupon.com/r/uu23569530

Charter Member
    us
    Medicine/Holy Man

May 2010
    California
    Whites MXT, Whites TDI
    517 times

I don't go out knowing that I'm going to find anything in particular. But, quite a few times
    over the years, I've had a problem that I get my md out, set the loop on the ground, turn
    the power on and just about blow my ears out.

The first time it happened was in SanBernardino in a scraped lot. I had set the loop down
    squarely on top of a 1892 half. Since then, nothing quite that spectacular. A dime here, a
    penny there, etc. Come to think of it, once it was a curbside V nickle.

Who knows? Perhaps it 50% electronics and 50% ESP. OR, maybe
    we're just fooling ourselves and we're just using the mds to cover up the fact that we're
    actually dowsing.

Nice dime!!

Eagle

us
    Feb 2010
    Eastland Texas
    123 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by hdmech71
    I will give ya an amen! It looks like it was wrapped up in a sweet cloth and polished undergrond for a few years. Good litttle coin!

Roland58 just make my day with his comment though!!!
    its is a pretty merc isn't! looks like ALL the detail is there!

us
    Dec 2011
    Redwood Valley CA.
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer
    11 times
    Metal Detecting

Nice Find,

Well done
    I Like Bacon

us
    Feb 2012
    Whispering Pines, NC
    Garette Sea Hunter Mark II
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Great Find!

us
    I dig zinc....

Oct 2010
    Tyler, TX
    Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.) CTX-3030 10-04-13
    29 times
    Metal Detecting

It is a great Merc, chukers. Lots of nice detail left in that one! I see you got her cleaned up real nice too. What I would like to know is when is it okay to clean and shine something and when does doing so ruin the value? Don't dimes get 'patinas' like anything else.....just a different color? Heck, I've got some red ones!
    Are there general rules or a set of laws as to what should be cleaned and how? I have some Mercs that I hit on my buffer that look terrific.....shine like they have a fresh coat of Mercury rubbed onto them! I think it brings out the detail. I'm sure some will say that I have ruined them, but, they are probably only worth melt value anyway.
    Roland

All electrical devices are powered by smoke......when the smoke escapes, they no longer work.

us
    Jan 2009
    Florida
    White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
    17 times

Very nice find!

Once I found a nice Merc. dime almost as nice as that one... Ugh, but I nicked it with my dig tool, other than the little scratch... it was in great shape.

us
    Oct 2011
    penn state
    ace 150, flea market digger
    350 times

nice murky

us
    Jun 2007
    Shenandoah Valley
    Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
    12 times

Cool find. For myself, a lot of times I can tell when a signal is coming, good or bad, when it's been relatively quite under my coil for some time. I'll be like"Here it comes, here it comes".... BEEP BEEP BEEP
    Oldest U.S. Coin: 1787 Connecticut Copper
    Oldest non U.S. Coin: 1777 Spanish half reale
    Best civil war finds: Line A confederate button, NC button, 3 Connecticut buttons,New York officer cuff button, 3 Union officer sword belt plates, US box plate

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    448 times

Speaking of that.
    My first cast I i found two weeks ago, In a field thats probably an acre or more, Before i started
    looking I checked out the site, I walked to within ten paces of that Button! I have had this happen
    more than once over the years to me..... I wonder all the time how, but then I think about it and
    just give thanks that it happens.

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

us
    Jan 2007
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    Tesoro, Fisher
    1 times

Excitement. Anticipation. We call it beginners luck. Getting a new detector wil do it too.

us
    Feb 2010
    Eastland Texas
    123 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland58
    It is a great Merc, chukers. Lots of nice detail left in that one! I see you got her cleaned up real nice too. What I would like to know is when is it okay to clean and shine something and when does doing so ruin the value? Don't dimes get 'patinas' like anything else.....just a different color? Heck, I've got some red ones!
    Are there general rules or a set of laws as to what should be cleaned and how? I have some Mercs that I hit on my buffer that look terrific.....shine like they have a fresh coat of Mercury rubbed onto them! I think it brings out the detail. I'm sure some will say that I have ruined them, but, they are probably only worth melt value anyway.
    I don't clean anything that is valuable like my 1914d Wheat Penny.... even so I only clean things like common coins and those I do clean I clean very lightly all I did with this one was rinse it and used some baking soda on it to get it shine up... now as you can see it has some small scratches on it I dunno if that was from being in the ground all these years or if that is from the baking soda... I wouldn't think baking soda could do that just in a few seconds of cleaning but maybe it did... either way its not a valuable coin so no big deal.

Chukers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors