I wanna make blackened ribeye...post your favorite blackened seasoning mix...

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chef Paul's is pretty good. Both Giant and Weis Markets carry it. I like to grind some habeneros to add to it.

habs

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Salt, pepper, and lots of Worcestershire sauce. Cook in a cast iron frying pan in olive oil. ten minutes on one side, flip over , apply more Worcester and cook ten more minutes.
Yum, Yum. Just had some today, except I cooked it on the gas grill. I still like the cast iron better.

froggy

Jan 18, 2008
Canyon Del Oro, Arizona
make blackened ribeye

Ingredients :
4 x Ribeye Steaks - each cut 3/4 inch thick
2 stk butter
12 tbl Blackened Seasoning mix

Blackened Seasoning Mix:
Caution - Smoke Hazard!
2 tbl garlic powder
2 tbl black pepper
2 tbl dried basil
2 tbl cayenne pepper
1 tbl salt
1 tbl white pepper
1 tbl dried oregano
1 tbl onion powder

Method :
Heat iron skillet on flame until skillet is very hot. Coat both sides of steaks with Blackened Seasoning, 2 tbl per side. Drop butter on skillet and quickly stir it around until melted (be careful of flames). Place steaks on skillet and cook under high heat for three minutes on each side, ONLY flip once.

Immediately remove and serve. Serve with a baked potato and steamed asparagus.
Serves: 4

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
YEAH!

I saw that one as well.

I LOVE the kick of white pepper!
It sure is a stinky spice, but the odor doesn't linger after cooking - but the smooth heat of it will.

mmmMMMMMmmmmmm!

-

S

stefen

Rib eye steak is by far the most flavorful piece of prime meat found anywhere...prefer Angus or Charlette aged 30+ days...

We BBQ 5 minutes a side (medium rare to rare) with just garlic salt and fresh ground pepper...Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

All other condiments, in my opinion, only covers up a flavorful steak...

M

MiniMe

I agree Stefen, but to each it's own....
Great recipes. :thumbsup:
I like blackened catfish or salmon, will have to try these on fish. Thanks

S

stefen

I agree...great recipe :thumbsup:

As stated, its only my opinion...Definitely each to his own taste...

As an example, when my future stepdaughter and her hubby come for Sunday dinner, they both like their meat BBQ'd extremely well done...

To me, why spend good money for prime meat if they have shoe leather taste...makes me grit my teeth.... ::)

I think the only difference between the blackened recipe mix and what I use is the dried basil, cayenne pepper
and dried oregano...

In fact, I use just garlic salt and fresh ground pepper on fresh salmon...again, cooking 1 inch salmon steaks 5 minutes a side on foil with a light slather of Virgin Olive Oil. A little chili salsa on the side....sometimes with fresh lemons / limes (from the patio) ...always with a bottle of cervesa...Mmmmmm

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
stefen said:
As an example, when my future stepdaughter and her hubby come for Sunday dinner, they both like their meat BBQ'd extremely well done...

Funny you should say that.

I like my meats (streak, prime rib, roast beef) to be medium rare. Cooked on the outside but a cool pinkish red center.

I like my THICK country style ribs also juicy & succulent.

But ya know those skinny ass spare ribs??? I like 'em coated heavy with super sticky BBQ sauce and flame cooked well well done. I done want to necessarily taste nasty burned flavor....but I like the charred, grisly, jerky like texture ONLY on these spareribs.

mmmMMMMmmmmmm......

Go figure!

M

MiniMe

Love my ribs the same way....gotta be sticky.

Now I'm hungry..... :D

S

stefen

Me too :thumbsup:

For sure, Memorial Day weekend will be Ribeye Steaks BBQ'd to order...

Only rule for family and guests is a 6 pak of Corona (per person) entry fee...

By the way, Cristina and I have been getting fresh Artichokes lately that honestly measure 8 to 10 inches in diameter for a buck each at Ralph's Markets....HUGE CHOKES

We wrap the chokes in Saran wrap with a teaspoon of water (and crushed garlic) and microwave for 8 minutes each...serve with drawn butter or Miracle Whip (or Mayo)...

Great combination with a good barbequed Rib Eye Steak.

Attachments

• imperial_star.jpg
    imperial_star.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 809
OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
stefen said:
By the way, Cristina and I have been getting fresh Artichokes lately that honestly measure 8 to 10 inches in diameter for a buck each at Ralph's Markets....HUGE CHOKES

AWESOME!
I've tried making them before (steamed).....but failed. Skin was still a little tough etc....
Do you snip the spikey leaf tips?
Do you act the whole leaf or just bite/pull the flesh with your teeth from inside the leaf?

Yeah! Garlic, Lemon, salt & pepper!
I'll have to give it a try again. I must have done something wrong.

-

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I think I'll try the artichokes too, sounds really simple and tasty. Now I just gotta figure out where to get some around here LOL. As far as the ribeyes I use Lowrey's seasoning salt, white pepper, minced garlic and a little chili powder. Mid-rare is almost over cooked for me but the girls don't want no pink in the middle of thiers at all, GEESH, I almost hate to cook 'em that way.

Gary you said you like HEAT, I make some chicken wings on the grill that will make grown men cry! There is this stuff called "Da' Bomb...Beyond Insanity" I ran across it when I ran a Tex-Mex restaurant. We made our own salsa and for 5 gallons of hot salsa we only used 1/2 of a teaspoon of this stuff. I saw this video of 2 teenage boys trying to be cool and eat this stuff straight, they got a little suprise :angry4:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess"

S

stefen

There are several ways to cook artichokes...boil, steam, BBQ after being boiled or steamed, or our way using the microwave...

Adding a teaspoon of water while the choke is partially wrapped in Saran actually steams the choke...each choke is different depending on variety, age, toughness, etc...

However, if you the test stem end with a fork for softness...you may cook for some additional time...its trial and error until you have perfected the cooking technique...

As to cutting off the stickers...you can but its not necessary...

To eat just scrap the underside of the leaf between your teeth...

When you get to the artichoke heart...remove the fuzzy stuff (actually a flower head) with a spoon...then enjoy the best part, especially with melted butter.

The majority of artichokes are grown in Castroville midway between San Luis Obispo and San Francisco, California...

Numerous times we have stopped on northern road trips and have bought gunny sacks full of chokes, when in season, from roadside stands for a buck or two...advantage of living in California

Check the web for numerous recipes...

As to the Tex Mex salsa...vanilla ice cream works best...either eat the ice cream or sit on it...which ever works fastest...

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank goodness for living in LA, there's so many Cajun spice mixes to choose from. I love blackened steak but my all time favorite is blackened redfish on the grill.

How I wish artichokes were that cheap here. I loved making and eating stuffed artichokes but only do so when the prices are lower, and that only twice a year. I used lean ground meat and other spices for the stuffing, my favorite dipping sauce is melted butter with garlic and Parmesan cheese. I've eaten seafood stuff artichoke, those are good too.

Y'all making me hungry. :D

:wink: RR

M

MiniMe

River Rat said:
Thank goodness for living in LA, there's so many Cajun spice mixes to choose from. I love blackened steak but my all time favorite is blackened redfish on the grill.

How I wish artichokes were that cheap here. I loved making and eating stuffed artichokes but only do so when the prices are lower, and that only twice a year. I used lean ground meat and other spices for the stuffing, my favorite dipping sauce is melted butter with garlic and Parmesan cheese. I've eaten seafood stuff artichoke, those are good too.

Y'all making me hungry. :D

:wink: RR

RR....do you have a recipe for stuffed artichokes...love to have it if you do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions