Good Jerky recipies needed

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hi Guys and Galls

I am going hunting for deer in the early new year and am thinking about making some jerky out of some deer. Never made it myself but do like it, I know that some of you fellow tneters will have some great recipes and methods on how to do this, I would be very interested to listen to anyone prepared to let me know some of the do's and donts etc and any recipes you may be willing to share, and what part of the beast are best for jerky etc.

Regards sasnz

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of smoker will you be using?? Also, 'Google" "jerky recipies" for tons of ideas. I just use salt and red chili powder so not much help here.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I prefer to make jerky from the loin but any muscle will do. Slice the meat very thin (1/16" to 1/8" will do, thicker if you like) cross grain and it will be more tender. Marinate in Dales Seasoning for no more than 10 or 15 minutes (I usually just dip it) and put in the dehydrator over nite. If you like it spicy just add red pepper of choice to the Dales before marinating. The dehydrator dries it completely and it will keep forever. The Dales gives it the best flavor of any recipe I have tried. The jerky will stick to the racks of the dehydrator so just take a fork and pop it off. When finished, soak the racks in water and they clean up very easily. I have tried jerky many ways and this has the best flavor of all of them. Even the jerky you buy at your favorite quick stop. :thumbsup:

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
one cold fall few years back,had 2 large blacktail bucks,after a 5 day hang,butchered.after that,cut/trimmed all the scraps left close to the bone.salted up some teryake brine,soaked overnight in fridge,food dehydratored em.nice lil jerky chips.about a gallon jars worth.mostly off the ribs.was a lot of prep work,but well worth it.if ever i get to hunt elk again,will try that.this thread makes me hungry. ;D

OP
OP
sasnz

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
thanks for the replys guys, I dont have a dehydrator but do have a weber BBQ, Has anyone done any jerky in the weber as i would be keen to learn how to do so. Time, where to fire the bricketes and how many for how long ETC...

Please keep the info coming as my apatite is starting to get interested ;D

Cheers Sasnz

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I've never used a BBQ to make jerky. I know people who have made it in the oven but it's not as good as from the dehydrator. You can pick up a dehydrator pretty cheap at Walmart or some of the other department stores.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Cut the meat thin, 3- 5 lbs of meat. 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/3 Worcestershire 1tsp garlic powder 1tsp onion powder 2 tsp black pepper 1tbl salt add hot pepper if you like it hot.
marinate the sliced meat in the sauce over night.
I use the oven on as low a setting as possible 125 I place the meat on a cookie sheet put it in the oven. after about 1 hour check it & turn it over I will do this several times until the meat starts to look dry & dark. don't over cook it.
When done take the jerky out & let it cool, once cool I keep it in a zip lock bag it will keep for a long time u can even freeze it. The jerky stays soft which I like not the hard rock kind.
You can also use a little chief smoker & what ever wood chips you like

I have tried several other recipes but have stayed with this one for 30 years.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do mine different ways

16 oz bottle of soy sauce
1/3 cup worcestershire
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbs salt

and any other spices that you want. put mixture in air tight bowl with meat. Make sure meat is cut 1/16 inche thik and no more then 1/8 inch. Fill bowl with meat and mixture and put in refrigerator turn bowl every couple of hours. soak all day then put meat into dehydrator with vent crack open over night.

The seconfd way I do it is I grind my meat all up into hamburger. I go to
WalMart and buy he Jerky Spice Mix. Mix with meat according to package. Then you will need a jerky gun load gun squeeze out on to dehydrator trays crack vent on top cook for around 5 hours I turn my in 2 hour and finish cooking until to doneness you like. Put in seal jar or bag keep for a long time....Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides Lays Vinegar & Salt potato chips, homemade jerky is another of my weaknesses. Using a real smoker is the best way to impart smoke flavor to meats. I have a Lil Chief Smoker, http://www.smokehouseproducts.com/ This site will also have many good recipes and directions on how to make great jerky.

I keep experimenting on spices too so you'll have to try many before you'll find one that you'd kill for. I smoke slices of bread in hichory smoke for adding it to meat loaf. I have to beat the family off with a stick or I won't get any. :laughing7:

Good Luck and don't use a BBQ as it will get to hot. You don't wanna cook the meat, just dry it out.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
sasnz said:
thanks for the replys guys, I dont have a dehydrator but do have a weber BBQ, Has anyone done any jerky in the weber as i would be keen to learn how to do so. Time, where to fire the bricketes and how many for how long ETC...

Please keep the info coming as my apatite is starting to get interested ;D

Cheers Sasnz
You can also take those fish, soak in tenderquick & a bay leaf then smoke with alder wood, wont find anything better

F

Felinepeachy

Ingredients ;D

* 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu, drained
* 3 tablespoons soy sauce
* 2 teaspoons maple syrup
* 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
* 2 teaspoons brown sugar

Directions

1. Place tofu block between paper towels on a plate. Set another plate on top, and put a weight on top of the plate such as a can to press the water from the block of tofu while you prepare the sauce.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke, garlic powder, black pepper, barbeque sauce and brown sugar until smooth.
3. Slice tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices, and dip them in the sauce to coat. Place in a tightly sealed container. Place in the refrigerator, and let marinate for one to two hours.
4. Preheat the oven to the lowest temperature, around 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Line the oven rack with heavy duty aluminum foil, and place in the lowest position of the oven. Place the tofu slices on the foil.
5. Bake for about 8 hours, checking and turning over tofu slices every few hours. Tofu jerky is done when it is hard and uniformly dark in color.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like you will have your recipe as mine is similar to these, BUT I have found the best way to marinate the meat is.
1. Put your strips in a collander. 2. set the collander in a pot or bowl. 3. cover the collander with seran wrap or foil whichever you have access to. 4. put the bowl in the fridge at least 5hrs plus to let the blood drain. 5. put yer liquid marinate in a gallon ziploc (use the heavy bags) then add your meat, squeeze out as much air as possible. 6. keep in fridge 1-3 days, a couple times a day take the bag out and work the meat around this allows the meat to soak up the marinate and has made for better jerky. The longer you marinate the better. I have done jerky this way for over 12 yrs. Ben

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make deer jerky in the oven, about the same as above except I use curing salt, and set the oven on 175 drap the jerky in strips inbetween the slots(put foil on bottom to catch drippings) and cook until dried out, mine usually takes about 18hours.

OP
OP
sasnz

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Well i am making another batch after the first try a week or so ago, In the first batch i used a good hunk of Soy sauce and it was a bit over powering for my taste buds, this batch i have excluded completely the use of Soy sauce. Hope it works out ok. Will use the same drying technic that i tried for te first batch which is in the BBQ. Will get a pic when it is all going which hopefully should be tomorrow if it dosent rain.

The ingredients for this batch is in the pics below as well as the meat marinating. Enjoy. I will try and get some pics when it is on the BBQ.

Sasnz

Attachments

• DSCN1984.JPG
    DSCN1984.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 517
  • DSCN1985.JPG
    DSCN1985.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 525
  • DSCN1984.JPG
    DSCN1984.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 512
  • DSCN1985.JPG
    DSCN1985.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 519

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
First you get your keys. Then you start the car. After that you put the car in reverse. Hit the acceleration pedal to the store. You get to the store. You find a SlimJim. You buy the SlimJim. You go to your car and take a bite. "This the important part!" You spit it out and say WHAT IS THIS CRAP!

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use that kikkoman soy sauce but a few years ago I switched to one called "La Choy" soy sauce. I think it makes my jerky taste way better, I also add a little veg oil, like 3-4 Tbsn per 5-6lb meat. hope this help's. Ben

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tofu What?? We have been making jerky and sausage for years and all the recipes mentioned are great. That being said my Brother got a Jerky Shooter that uses grind deer.The stuff is great I eat it as fast as he makes it. I used slow smokers and dehydrators but that jerky shooter is pretty cool. I would not waste a good loin or back straps use the shoulders and some of the best meat is in the neck. Yumm I have to kill 5 for landowners before I fill my freezers. I take three. Half way there !!!
You guys make me hungry.
Happy Holidays
TnMountains

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2: I have been using the same dehydrator for at least 10+ years now its called ( Waring food dehydrator ). It has been a good one. anyone make bologny? got a good trail bologny recipe. and a very cheap place to get supplies. For jerky or bologny or sausage.
www.thesausagemaker.com cheapest prices I have found. and fast shipping. hope this one keeps going its a good one for this time of year. :sign13: Oh I almost forgot, This summer past I found the recipe for trail bologny. I had some small collagen casing left I found and made hot dogs, my son loved them "daddy can I have another deer dog". can supply recipe if anyone would like it. the stuffer attachment for the grinder does an awesome job. Ben

OP
OP
sasnz

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Sorry for the late reply

Here are some pics i did of me drying the Jerky. I used my BBQ as my drying aperatus, The drying process was about 4 hours long so wasnt to bad.

Wow the jerky is so addictive, once you start it is hard to put down so have got it all packed away for my 7 day kayak around on of Fiordlands southernest lake. Any way folks enjoy and keep the jerky tips comming as will be making another batch in the New Year.

Till then wishing everyone on TNet a Merry christmas and a happy New Year.

Sasnz

Attachments

• DSCN2003.JPG
    DSCN2003.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 443
  • DSCN2007.JPG
    DSCN2007.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 457
  • DSCN2016.JPG
    DSCN2016.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 440
  • DSCN2009.JPG