anyone remember fried mush?

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
we eat all of the above in michigan and its past midnight and you guys ARE NOT helping me watch my ways of trying to tone down my eating habits. my father used to take boiled cold taters slice ,fry in butter ,tear up homemade bread throw it in all left over veggies and then throw in the eggs/without shells naturally . then fry up fresh blue gill filets on the side . nothing better. especially when camping.also fried mush was served at times with karo syrup.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
goldie1959 said:
we eat all of the above in michigan and its past midnight and you guys ARE NOT helping me watch my ways of trying to tone down my eating habits. my father used to take boiled cold taters slice ,fry in butter ,tear up homemade bread throw it in all left over veggies and then throw in the eggs/without shells naturally . then fry up fresh blue gill filets on the side . nothing better. especially when camping.also fried mush was served at times with karo syrup.
Well whatcha want ? Die fat an happy an need 10 pallbearers to carry you to your final
rest or starve yurself so skinny and nasty that one could carry ya in one hand and the mortician can't even recruit that one ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
grits --is -- course ground "white" corn meal ---hominy-- is dry white corn kernals soaked in a mixture to make it soft and expand it --- corn meal (*yellow) corn is finer ground -- boiled yellow corn meal is called --polenta in fancy or hispanic homes or "corn mush or "pone" in more redneck type homes ( often served sliced and fried in bacon drippings)-- fried yellow corn meal balls with a bit of baking soda ( to make em plump up)is the fried fishes best freind in the south --hush puppies

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Ivan ,
Hominy is white or yellow corn kernels soaked in lye until the outer shell releases . It is then rinsed in fresh water until the shells and the lye are gone . There is a distinctive flavor difference between white and yellow hominy .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes there is yellow hominy but the white is much much more common -- the "mixture" I of spoke of is the lye and water -- but not wanting anyone to try "making " home made hominey and killing themselves because they did not clean all the lye off properly --I did not state what the "mixture" was.

in the old days --yellow corn was though of as "people food" --- while less tasty white white corn was for livestock fodder * after the civil war --many southerners were turned into "tenent farmers" on their old family farms by yankee carpet baggers that bought their family farms after the war for "back taxes " owed to the us govt for the war years and them they "offered" the southern families a choice -- leave their "homestead /farm or stay giving 1/2 the crops raised as "payment" for living there (be a tenent farmer).

times were hard for these folks , so most stayed -- thankfully with white corn being thought of as only being fit for live stock fodder --- it was exempted from the "normal" 50 / 50 crop split --so the tenent farmers grew a bit of extra "white corn" and had it ground to make "grits" --- so grits and eggs for breakfast became a poor tenent farmer southern family staple breakfast.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
thanx for the history on hominy & white & yellow corn. I am a cook by trade,(now only at home) & love knowing the background of the foods I cook. I love hominy, love corn! well actually I love food. this has been a fun post, thanx everyone for sharing.

S

stefen

A while back, I cooked fried mush for breakfast and my step-daughter put catsup on hers...

Such disrespect...

Total disregard...

A sacrilege...

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
stefen said:
A while back, I cooked fried mush for breakfast and my step-daughter put catsup on hers...

Such disrespect...

Total disregard...

A sacrilege...
Downright Blasphemy !

S

stefen

truckinbutch said:
stefen said:

Such disrespect...

Total disregard...

A sacrilege...
Downright Blasphemy !

That's the word I was looking for...thanks.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Hominy is white or yellow corn kernels soaked in lye until the outer shell releases . It is then rinsed in fresh water until the shells and the lye are gone . There is a distinctive flavor difference between white and yellow hominy .
===================================================================
Yes Sir, a skillet full of fried pork chops, some hominy cooked up in bacon grease, some canned 'maters
cooked up with home-made bread cubes tossed in sounds mighty tasty. And a mess of ramps cooked up
on the side would be a plus. With some iced sassafras tea made from scraped & boiled roots to wash it all
down. Now that's a great hilly-billy meal you won't see on them 'yuppie' cookin' shows. :wink:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man I loveeeee my fried mush. I grew up eating it every other meal had it. The white corn meal is best fry in some oil. Going have to make some for tomorrow now. Hominy is great also some butter then I boil the water all the way off. Tender and sweet butter with pepper. That's a side.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread