Pan Fried Walnut Chicken

S

stefen

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Cristina recently made (3 times now) a Crushed Walnut Chicken that is out of this world...you gotta try it.

It's quick, and healthy...

6 Chicken Thighs (boned, skinned and defatted)
3/4 Cup Walnuts, finely chopped
Tsp Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
1/2 Cup White Wine

1. Pound the chicken thighs until 1/4 inch thick (or so)
2. Coat with chopped walnuts (do not add flour or eggs)
3. Glass of white wine for the cook
4. Place a tsp of Olive Oil in a hot cast iron skillet
5. Cook chicken thighs about 2 minutes per side
6. Remove chicken from skillet and combine Orange Juice and white wine and quickly stir in skillet
7. Return chicken to skillet and reduce heat to low and cook for another 5 minutes per side
8. Another glass of wine for the cook while waiting for the meal to be completed...

When done, plate up and top with a Tsp of the Orange/wine gravy...

We have tried this recipe with lemon juice but prefer OJ...its fantastic with either...

Chicken breasts can be used if you prefer white meat...I think that the dark meat has a better flavor...

This is a recipe from an old Argentine and if I said so, the old Argintine would hit me upside the head...

rubytuesday

Mar 21, 2009
Been lurking around for a while now, rubytuesday from down under. This is my first post,
hope i get it right and don't make too many mistakes :)
Decided to try your recipe.
Smelled and looked fantastic until i added the white wine and
orange juice, omg... everything went a greyish blacky colour and smelt a tiny bit odd.
Hubby decided that it was edible and an hour later we're still on our feet.
What did i do wrong?
My guess is some sort of a chemical reaction between the cast iron and the acidity of the
white wine and the orange juice.
Thanks anyway, have had a lot of pleasure reading yours and everyone else's posts.

OP
OP
S

stefen

Can't say what went wrong...we have used this recipe many times now and never had a problem.

Typically, we use fresh squeezed OJ (Valencia) and white cooking wine...

Never heard of an acidic reaction of the wine/OJ with a cast iron skillet...but then I'm not an authority on skillets...

We also use a stainless steel and lined skillets and have the same good results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread