Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my favorite meals is gumbo. But I have never been able or at least talented enough to make a decent roux. So, I found a recipe on the net, added a few things of my own to modify it, making it even better and this is what I came up with. I have to admit , it is as good as any gumbo I have found in a southern restaurant. I make it about once a month and freeze part of it and Kay and I thaw it and pig out two or three times during the month.

2 lb of sliced okra frozen or fresh 2 lb raw medium shrimp peeled and devained
1 1/2 cups chopped celery 1 large smoked sausage cut into about 1/4" circles
2 cups chopped purple onion 1 bottle clam juice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil 1 can of diced clams in liquid
1 large green bell pepper chopped 2 heaping Tbs Louisiana Cajun dry seasoning
1 cup chopped green onions 2 heaping Tsp tomato paste
1 large can of diced tomatos 6 cans of chicken stock or broth
1 to 2 tsp of ground red pepper (how hot do you want it)?
1 tsp each of parsley flakes and basil
1/2 tsp oregano 2 to 3 cups of water
3/4 cup of instant rice or 1 cup of regular white rice

Heat olive oil over med hi heat in large boiling pot. Add Onions, Okra and bell pepper and saute for 15 minutes or until onion starts to appears transparent. Brown sausage slices in a seperate pan and drain. Add tomato paste, clams and clam juice, and the can of diced tomatos, spices, and and sausage and bring to a boil, stiring well. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken stock and water and bring to a boil. Turn fire down to simmer for about 30 minutes. Add shrimp and instant rice (if you prefer rice in the mixture) and simmer for about 5 minutes or until shrimp appears done. If you prefer rice on the side, cook white rice seperate and serve gumbo over helpings of cooked rice. Preparation and cooking time about an hour and a half. Eat until your eyeballs pop out!

kariokie

Jul 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty,
This recipe is AMAZING
I will never make another gumbo. Thank you for sharing.
Sincerely,
A fellow Okie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread