Fried canned green tomatoes

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Hooray ! Gardening season is here again :hello2: :hello2:
Can't wait to start harvesting and eating fresh veggies . Already getting green onions :headbang:
Canning time is just around the corner ; which brings me to my point .
Fried green tomatoes aren't just a seasonal thing . Can them at end of ripe harvest and enjoy them yearround .
Cool days in fall when they stop ripening , or after first frost , pick the green ones . Wash , cap ,
slice thick (1/4 to 1/2"), and pack in quart canning jars . Add 1/2 tsp salt and water to shoulder of each jar . Waterbath or pressure can for recommended time .
To prepare:
Carefully drain in collander and gently coat both sides with flour seasoned to taste .
Fry to golden brown on both sides at medium heat in bacon grease .
Hint :
Serving size will depend on how well you like them the first time . 2 quarts is enough for me and
we fix more according to how many will be dining that day .
Hint :
If you are close a commercial grower . Many will let you glean their fields at end of harvest for next to nothing to get a larger supply of green tomatoes .
Jim

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
bbqbull said:
Great idea, never thought of canning green tomato slices.
Wintertime lifesaver as well as preventing waste of garden produce . To my palate they are
better tasting than fresh fried . The taste is less bitter after canning .

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Thanks truckinbutch, my family has been eating fried green 'maters long before I got here, but have
never seen 'canned' green tomatoes. My Mom used to can everything from pears , jellies to chow-chow
& a delicious sweet zucchini relish, but I never saw these. We love fried green tomatoes & the wife is
getting into the canning mode now. I got a bushel of Hot Hungarian peppers ready for canning now.
A few bushels of tomatoes are next. She makes a pretty good canned 'Swiss Steak' sauce .

josephpratt

Aug 10, 2011
5325 Clay Ter Ne, Washingt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
Hooray ! Gardening season is here again :hello2: :hello2:
Can't wait to start harvesting and eating fresh veggies . Already getting green onions :headbang:
Canning time is just around the corner ; which brings me to my point .
Fried green tomatoes aren't just a seasonal thing . Can them at end of ripe harvest and enjoy them yearround .
Cool days in fall when they stop ripening , or after first frost , pick the green ones . Wash , cap ,
slice thick (1/4 to 1/2"), and pack in quart canning jars . Add 1/2 tsp salt and water to shoulder of each jar . Waterbath or pressure can for recommended time .
To prepare:
Carefully drain in collander and gently coat both sides with flour seasoned to taste .
Fry to golden brown on both sides at medium heat in bacon grease .
Hint :
Serving size will depend on how well you like them the first time . 2 quarts is enough for me and
we fix more according to how many will be dining that day .
Hint :
If you are close a commercial grower . Many will let you glean their fields at end of harvest for next to nothing to get a larger supply of green tomatoes .
Jim

Wow!!!!I love tomatoes...,but never made this type of canned tomatoes...surely try it.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
the summer heat is starting to break and my tomato plants are exploding with toms, I'm going to have to try this. thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread