Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Simple is best, I think.

Peel corn and remove beard.

Add salt and pepper to taste, and a pat of butter if desired. Wrap all in Saran Wrap or other plastic wrap. Lay on plate in microwave. Cook on high for 30-45 seconds, turn over and do again. Eat.

S

stefen

Every summer we took our 4-H club kids to the beach for a corn cook-out.

And using a galvanized metal trash barrel filled with sea water, brought it to boil over an open fire pit, and filled with corn in the husk...

Corn doesn't take long to cook (can actually eat raw)...anyway, the salt water brings out the flavor of fresh picked corn...

To eat, just peal the husk back and use as a handle, and eat away...don't forget to bring butter...

If you are fortunate to have access to a coastal beach, try this for a great beach meal...

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
The very best is when you have a group of 8 or 10 kids from 10 to 15yrs old that have their own special woods hideaway that they weekend camp at .
When the field corn gets at just the right stage usually tomatoes and watermelons are doing well , too . Onions and taters will be as well . Salt , pepper , and butter can come from home . Ya gotta swipe the rest and a few chickens , as well . Draw the chickens , wrap then in clay mud and place in the embers of your campfire , roast the unshucked corn the same way .
The adventure of youth , open fire cooking , and the the excitement of purloined provender combine
to make a taste you will remember for the rest of your life . ;D

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
LOL! The last time I did something like that, I ended up with Barley and Rock Salt all over my back side and back.

:tongue3:

S

stefen

truckinbutch said:
The very best is when you have a group of 8 or 10 kids from 10 to 15yrs old that have their own special woods hideaway that they weekend camp at .
When the field corn gets at just the right stage usually tomatoes and watermelons are doing well , too . Onions and taters will be as well . Salt , pepper , and butter can come from home . Ya gotta swipe the rest and a few chickens , as well . Draw the chickens , wrap then in clay mud and place in the embers of your campfire , roast the unshucked corn the same way .
The adventure of youth , open fire cooking , and the the excitement of purloined provender combine
to make a taste you will remember for the rest of your life . ;D

Why is that 5-finger discount goods are always, by far, the tastiest :thumbsup:

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Rock Salt Hurts like RIGHT NOW! the Barley takes a while to swell up and starts Hurting. That old Mexican was a Dead Shot he was. Got all three of us !

Who woulda known Grapes were worth getting shot over?

That 5 strand Barbed wire fence seemed like it was the great wall of China about then.

Three kids scampering for there lives, sorta like Racoons in a hen house.

Never did figure out where he came from!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
homefires said:
LOL! The last time I did something like that, I ended up with Barley and Rock Salt all over my back side and back.

:tongue3:
You got lucky , my friend . My buddie Eddie and I were running side by side out of a barnyard late one night , each with a squawking chicken held by the feet in in each hand .
3 shots from a 12gauge loaded with #4 shot killed the chicken in my right hand and the chicken in
Eddie's left . We were well peppered as well .
To our credit ; we never dropped a chicken . Made it to his Gramma's house . The gracious lady
picked shot out of our bloody backsides by a coal oil lamp as we lay on her kitchen table the remainder of the night .(Kept commenting on the 'fine pattern' that old guy's 12ga had thrown .)
Fixed us fresh fried chicken , mashed taters , biscuits , and gravy for breakfast after the 'doctorin'.
To this day ; I feel inclined to eat chicken standing up .

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
To this day ; I feel inclined to eat chicken standing up .
==============================================================
:laughing9: That's funny. Never heard of the barley, but I know what the rock salt feels like.
And it wasn't even for a chicken, it was peach & plum trees. #4 shot - that man wasn't foolin'.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
I feel sorry for the Young Ens in the big cities that have never had the chance to Chicken Kyke, Pinch the few ears of corn or twenty, Rock Apples off the threes on the orchard next door.

Just today, my 10 year old son and I scored a bag of green chili, and two water melons from the fields next to the tree farm I'm working on.

NO SHOTS FIRED!

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I have always just put it on the top rack of the gas grill just as it comes out of the field, or place it in the microwave with husk on just as it came out of the field for a few minutes until it feels hot to touch.
When it is done husk it, put lots of real butter and salt on it enjoy it. Quite simple.
The husk do the job as foil or plastic wrap, "maybe better".

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like some of those recipes, especially the bacon one.. I'll probably give some of them a try in the near future. It surely beats the way I prepare corn today...

My method.

1- Peel away husk and remove the silk
2- Remove all the kernels from the cob
3- Skewer the kernels though round tootpicks
4- Season to taste, salt, garlic, pepper, adobo, Cayenne, etc
5- grill for 1 minute each side

Makes a great finger food :tongue3:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
Spaet,

It's like I told ya before...you are 2" away from crazy:)

Maybe so, but don't knock it until you've tried it :tongue3: Yes, the prep time is nearly 3 hours, but to see the smiles on everyone's face as they gobble them down in seconds is priceless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread