Question? How does KFC make the extra crispy chicken?

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
They use cornflakes to bread the chicken,after dipping in egg solution. Then they fry until crispy brown. rockhound

OP
OP
SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot Soupie....I appreciate the posts thus far, and I hope someone can tell me how to make extra crispy chicken with a recipe and process....darn! You would think someone out there would know! (smile)....I contacted Paula Dean a few years ago since I always watched her cooking program, and all I got back from the "people" she has hired to answer her email (that's right folks, we are the little people, and she is too big to answer email) was a bad time for asking, and they were total knuckle heads...I vowed at that point and time to boycott her program for the rude response I received, and guess what? I have never watched that show again....I appreciate all of the time and effort everyone has made here, and when I do get a recipe and process, I will try it, and if it pans out (no pun intended) I will post it....who doesn't like extra crispy chicken besides the chickens? SushiDog

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
My wifes cousin is a manager at a local KFC. He has been there since he graduated high school,I'm guessing about 20 years. He told me that the extra crispy chicken was dipped in a combination of flour and powdered corn flakes, along with some spices added to the mixture.He also, didn't know what the secret ingredients were in the batter. I guess that is a trade secret only available to the top executives of the company. rockhound

OP
OP
SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rockhound! Yeah...the powdered corn flakes sounds about right, and makes a lot of sense....I will tinker around with some ingredients, but I will powder some corn flakes for sure....thanks again so much to you and your wife....SushiDog

zztop357

Jun 9, 2007
Dip chicken in flour,cover completely.Then dip in buttermilk and roll in flour again! extra crispy chicken :thumbsup:

OP
OP
SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much zztop! I notice they have made a change to a "quote" button since they went down over the past few days....Anyway, I sure will try your recipe....SushiDog

OP
OP
SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks RedJames.....you know what I was also thinking? Frying chicken to make it crispy the way we make crispy french fries....you take the raw french fry, fry it for several minutes, remove, then put back in the fryer for a crisp french fry....What do you guys think about taking any one of the recipes here, start frying, remove, and then put back in the batter and fry to extra crispy? SushiDog

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Sushi, This is the recipe for my crispy fried chicken.

Flour mixture-
1 and 1/2 cups AP flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika- regular paprika will work
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Combine all of the above ingredients in a plastic bag and shake to mix.

Egg wash-
2 egg whites- Don't use whole eggs as the fat in the yolks will give you a soggy product
1 Tblsp Hot sauce- I use Cholula
Mix well in a bowl

Rinse your chicken pieces and pat dry with a paper towel. Dredge all of the chicken pieces in flour mixture and shake off the excess then coat with the egg mixture. Put the chicken back into the bag with the flour mixture and coat well. Reove breaded chicken pieces from flour, put on a plate and put them in your refridgerator for a half hour, do'nt cover them as you want the breading to dry out a little bit. While your chicken is drying heat peanut oil to 335-350 degrees then fry until golden brown, 20-25 min. or until juices run clear.

Hope this helps, CC

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rockhound said:
She also, didn't know what the secret ingredients were in the batter. I guess that is a trade secret only available to the top executives of the company. rockhound

Well, I do know the secret ingredients... It none other than a good helping of Elmer's glue mixed into the batter :laughing7:

OP
OP
SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks sooooooooo much for the recipe Culinary Caveman!!!!!! Man, I can't wait to try this one, and I will let you guys know how it turns out for me....this just sounds too good to be true! (Big Smile!)....SushiDog

OP
OP
SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really am deeply grateful for your recipe! and thanks again....SushiDog

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Just thought I would pass along this information. As I recall, KFC used some kind of modified pressue cooker to cook their chicken.

Have not been able to find a direct reference to this, but did find a method for deep frying chicken in pressure cooker. The level of oil is VERY IMPORTANT. Read the entire article.

http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_IS_ART/cliff/pressure_cooking2.html

There are many copy cat recipes for the 11 secret herbs and spices. No one will ever know, that is why they call them secret herbs and spices. ;D

Hope your extra crispy chicken comes out extra crispy.

I did find one reference to the deep fry method. Just a mention that KFC used this method of cooking.
http://livingyourpassion.wordpress.com/2009/08/27/harland-sanders-kfc/

There seems to be two schools of thought on the pressure cooker vs the pressure fryer.
Apparently two different types of cooking vessels. It is not a good idea to heat oil in a pressure cooker due to the risk of having the oil ignite. The pressure fryer is designed for this type of cooking but is very expensive. Not sure just what Col. H. Sanders used in the beginning but the current cooking firers in use at KFC are designed for deep frying chicken.

Wouldn't want you to injure yourself or burn your house down. Traditional cooking might be your best bet.

Ray S ECenFL

OP
OP
SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray....thanks so much for a very informative post, and the two links you provided us.....***The History Channel has a great series on many subject area's, and one of them is "American Eats"....on one episode, they featured "Fast Food", and Colonel Sanders was highlighted in that program....actually, it was a brief "bio" on the Colonel, and they also showed how the Colonel used a pressure cooker to fry his chicken....I believe he made some tweaks on it, but it worked....I never tried it (I don't even own a pressure cooker) because I thought it was dangerous, or so I was told....after LQQKing at the two links you have provided us with here, and IF a person follows the directions given in the link, it seems to work just fine....***I just want to say right now that I AM NOT advocating frying chicken in a pressure cooker, (for legal reasons;isn't this sad?), so you are on your own to do as you wish....If I ever do purchase a pressure cooker, I will personally try frying chicken in it according to the instructions given in the link provided....thanks for taking the time and effort in making a great post Ray!....SushiDog

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my crispy fried chicken recipe;

Flour mixture-
About 4 cups of AP Flour
salt and black pepper, I pour black powder in with the flour so black specs of pepper can be seen
some thyme
Tony Chacheres Seasoning

Combine all of the above ingredients in a plastic bag and shake to mix, taste sample mix other ingredients to desired taste.

I use a deep fryer for frying setting temperature to required temperature. Using Crisco Cooking Oil

I take 2 whole eggs and beat them and pour 3 cups of milk and mix with the eggs.

I rinse the chicken pieces and drop them into the egg/milk and let them soak for a couple of minutes.

I take each piece of chicken and drop into plastic bag and shake until a good coating is on the chicken, then take the piece of chicken and put it on the plate. I repeat the process for the rest of the chicken. If you want more crust on the chicken re-dip the pieces back into the egg/milk mix and drop bag into the flour mix, shake and put back onto the plate.

I put the chicken a couple of pieces at a time and fry until the chicken floats in the cooking oil. (My deep fryer has a window on the lid), that is when the chicken is done.

After I got all the chicken fried I take the rest of the flour mix and put it in the freezer for the next time.

I love KFC's original recipe but I like mine better!!

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut up a chicken, small pieces, wing, thigh, drumstick, cut breasts and dump in a bowl or container with a quart of buttermilk.

Leave in fridge overnight.

Next day heat lard, crisco, vegetable oil, etc in a CAST IRON SKILLET

Put seasoned flour, (salt, pepper, whatever you want) in a bowl

Put a mess of eggs in a bowl and whip up

Dunk chicken in bowl of flour, then eggs then flour again

Fry (make sure Oil is hot) DO not cover skillet

Take out when done and place on paper bags to drain

Eat

I like mine with a little corn meal added to the flour mixture or sometimes if I want it really crispy I dip in flour, then eggs and then in panko breadcrumbs.

OP
OP
SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much guys for your recipes....I was sitting here with a smile on my face because any recipe is as large as individual differences, and this is a really cool thing! But you know what? I will try each recipe given to me, and find out which one worked out best for myself....Gosh! The best part is that I am gonna have a lot of fried chicken!!! I appreciate everyone taking the considerable time to make a post, and the effort....you guys are really tops in my book! (Big Smile)....and....if anyone else wants to post their fried chicken recipe, please do so! The other thing I was thinking about was....well....recipes are regional, especially BBQ and Fried Chicken! (Don't get me started on BBQ! Ha, ha, ha!) This is what us American's are all about, and America as a country! I am deeply grateful to everyone who posted their recipe!!!....SushiDog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions